It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm I can't say it had this effect on me. When I'm in addiction I become a pastey, rake thin, grubby creature. Suboxone allowed me to have the stability, and most importantly the money, to once again be able to eat 3 decent meals a day.

That being said, people with Hep C can lose their appetite at times, and some drugs that put stress on the liver can bring this on. Suboxone may put stress on the liver in people who have pre-existing liver disease.

I'm not sure about your using story, and whether or not this could be a possibility, but I thought being aware of this can't hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Were some of you who have experienced weight loss taking methadone before Sub? I ask because meth is pretty notorious for weight gain and water retention, so maybe after you switched you noticed the changes very quickly? I began to notice water retention to the point that my mid-section felt like a filled-up-water-balloon and was 'swashing' around one day. This was only about a 3 days ago and I just started Sub last night, so I will gladly update if I notice a similar trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I lost a lot of weight while on suboxone, but I have something with Graves' disease, which often leads to weight loss diagnosis. Although my endocrinologist that, suboxone may make a contribution.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Weight loss
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've lost a great deal of weight since I've been on subs and everone thinks I'm sick. Subs make me have no appetite and makes me nauseous. Drinking ensure to try to put the weight back on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:20 am 
New Poster
New Poster

That's great information you shared. Have you tried lemonade diet. it really works. I am personally using it for last 10 days.................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, I wish I had this problem. The first month or so on sub I had no appetite. After I still do not eat much and what I do is quite health. I have continuously gained weight since starting sub and it SUCKS. I also have something going on with my thyroid and am hoping that it is the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi breezyann" i believe it's your thyroid problem? i had a weight problem be for subs and lost on sub's.

Post subject: CONC.WT.LOSS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:59 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Wow, I wish I had this problem. The first month or so on sub I had no appetite. After I still do not eat much and what I do is quite health. I have continuously gained weight since starting sub and it SUCKS. I also have something going on with my thyroid and am hoping that it is the problem.

I AM SOOO DEPRESSED ABOUT MY WT. I STARTED SUB. 6MO AGO..(SUBUTEX)AND HAVE GAINED 30 LBS! IT IS ALL MY FAULT...I CRAVE SUGAR! I NEVER DID BEFORE CRAVE SWEETS. I WILL GO TO THE DRIVE IN GROC. AND GET A DIET COKE AND A "KIT KAT"! I AM NOT EATING HEALTHY AND I KEEP SAYING TODAY IS THE DAY I'M GOING TO START A SERIOUS DIET. I THINK THE SUB MAY HAVE A LITTLE TO DO WITH MY SUGAR CRAVE...BUT I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A WT. PROBLEM AND NOW NEED TO LOOSE ABOUT 50 LBS. I KNOW HOW TO DO IT ...HAVE DONE IT MANY TIMES BEFORE AND HAVE A DECENT FIGURE WHEN I AM AT THE RIGHT WT...BUT NOW I LOOK LIKE SHIT. ALSO I HAVE HAD SOME KIDNEY PROBLEMS AND A DECREASE IN KIDNEY FUNCTION WITH SOME SWELLING IN MY LOWER LEGS. THEY DOC (MY REG. DOC) THINKS IT MIGHT BE DUE TO ALL THE YEARS I WAS ON HYDROS WITH ALL THAT TYLENOL IN IT! ANYONE ELSE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS? I WONDER IF SUB HURTS YOUR KIDNEYS, AFTER ALL IT IS AN OPIATE TOO?
THANKS..............JUDY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Judy, the sweet craving is normal, when I say I have been eating healthy I should have said for the last couple weeks. I too crave sugar like its a drug. I had been living off of cocoa krispies. It sucks, its almost as if good, normal food repels me. I wonder why it makes you crave sweets so much?

Post subject: Sweet Cravings...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Breezy_Ann wrote:
<snip>I wonder why it makes you crave sweets so much?

Yes- I wonder the exact same thing-
because I definitely crave sweets as well on Suboxone- and I am only on 4 mg a day;
and have been on Subs for almost 7 years. My main craving is for Ben&Jerry's
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream. I WAS eating a pint a day! :shock:
As well, I have gained almost 60 lbs., since I have been on Subs.
That is ridiculous. However, I believe that the advantages- for me-
far outweight the disadvantages of being on them, right now.

Just my 2 cents.

-ex-

Post subject: An odd tip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:15 pm 

I too have a sweet tooth and haven't really blamed it on the Sub, but now reading all the posts I wonder if it is indeed part of the side effects. Ice cream is my worst habit. Either Ben & Jerry's or Haagen-Dazs Banana Split. Simply orgasmic.

But there is a way to cut your urges to eat after dinner. It may even help before dinner. What my doctor told me to do many years ago was to drink Metamucil fiber. You have to overdo it for it to work. I use the teaspoon not the tablespoon brand and put in two-three heaping tablespoons in a tall glass followed by another tall glass of water. It totally fills you up and kills any urge to go on a food bender. You feel all bloated but that's okay because you know there are no calories in it and you'll feel much better the next day.

I know it sounds weird but it works. Plus, it definitely keeps you regular. I also take my prescription medicine and vitamins at the same time so I don't forget.

You may not like my 2¢ but it works for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

rule62 wrote:
<snip> I also take my prescription medicine and vitamins at the same time so I don't forget.

You may not like my 2¢ but it works for me.

It isn't that I don't like your idea- I actually used this idea with Per Diem-
another psyllium fiber supplement that was taken off of the market.

Anyway, I found this bit of information on the Metamucil website,
in the FAQ's section- and was wondering if you were aware of it:

Are there any drug interactions or restrictions with Metamucil?
Laxatives, including bulk fibers, may affect how well other medications work. If you are taking a prescription medication by mouth, take Metamucil at least two hours before or two hours after the prescribed medicine.

Here is the link:

http://www.metamucil.com/drmetamucil/fa ... shtml#faq7

-ex-

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi everyone,
Now I also eat sweets Alot, I've always been a salty food person not anymore SWEETS are my things since subs LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

what the hell is in the subs that make me crave sweets" i never craved sweets on all the other's ?
i sweat a lot. and that must be why i still loose wait.

Post subject: Re: Weight Loss?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just had a visit with my prescriber and they are seeing weigjht loss as a side effect of perhaps too high of a dose.
After I dose I can feel my anxiety and energy level highly increase.I lost 15lbs but I just sold a home and moved.If my weight doesn't go back up I'll have dose lowered.
I walk 3 miles 3-5 times a week and work medium hard labor job outside.

I used to take Lyrica but it caused severe blood issues and severe weight gain.
Unfortunately every drug has side effects.Also the older I get the less tolerant I am to side effects.
I tried melatonin for sleep and it works rather well just slight stomach issues in morning.Many nurses and other healthcare workers use melatonin in my area.Your body produces it naturally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow,

This is a really, really old thread...but since tiredofsuboxone brought it back to life I want to add something.

I had a huge weight loss during my active addiction. When I started suboxone treatment I was able to bring my weight up enough that I didn't look like a walking skeleton, but couldn't get back to within normal range with my BMI.

I struggled for 3 years to get my weight up and finally, one day I went to a new primary care doctor and he offered to give me an appetite stimulant. It was called Megace and is normally prescribed to the elderly, or people who have end stage cancer or other life threatening diseases. Within 3 months I was able to gain 21 pounds! Now, there were some side effects, but I was so happy with the results I didn't care. Just a warning, this stuff will definitely pack on the pounds fast! But, I haven't taken any in several months now and haven't lost any of the weight I managed to put on during that time. I'm now in my recommended range for my BMI, and couldn't be happier!

I have thought about mentioning this here before but haven't seen this topic come up. Hope this helps someone!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for 2 years this time around.
I am 37 yrs old, male, 6ft 1 inch and currently weigh around 166. I am naturally a slender guy but what I weigh now is 10 lbs below my normal weight, when I am not on suboxone or any opiates. Although I am within my BMI my face looks skinny and my body too. I def don't look as attractive as when I was clean and my parents have asked me about it as well as some friends (none of whom know I'm on subs)

2 months ago I was 158 (way too skinny!) so I have actively been working very hard to get my weight up.
I have been trying many, many things. So, in the last 2 months this is what I've been doing:

-I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and ONLY do strength training (weights, bench press, pull ups, squats, etc) No cardio

-I eat a lot of protein and always drink a big protein shake after the gym

-I try to eat more in general. It's hard to tell if I'm really getting enough though cuz subs definitely kill my appetite. But I actively have been trying to be eating more.

-I try to stay hydrated, drink lots of water, no soda (i do drink coffee though, like 2 cups most days which is not great but I need that stuff haha)

-I eat before bed, something high protein, like greek yogurt or cereal w/ whole milk

-I have increased my fiber intake so that I now have healthy looking shit (pardon my french) instead of those opiate craps we all know about, the golf balls (haha)

-I have lowered by sub dose to around a quarter in the am and a quarter pill in the pm (so 4mgs a day total)
(I do slip up occasionally and take more but I've been pretty good)
I've even lately been trying to spit it out after like 7-10 mins instead of leaving it in for 30-40 mins.
On this lower dose I do wake up feeling a tiny, tiny bit of withdrawal (I wake up with that tossing/turning uncomfortable feeling, but not that bad)

So, after doing allll this (and believe me, eating a lot is kind of a pain cuz my appetite isn't so huge) I have managed to go up from 157-159 to a fluctuating weight around 166-168 . I still can't get that last 8-10 lb.s on that I need. My face looks skinny and not as good as before. I don't know what it is that is stopping me from gaining the rest but it's annoying as hell.
As soon as I take a sub, within 5 mins I feel a sort of tightness in my head and temples, and this is where I look skinny too. It's weird. Kind of like a headache.
I wanna quit the subs but I did that before and it took me like 1 month of feeling like total shit and another month feeling not good before I could function. And that was in a rehab. Can't do that out here and go to work etc. F that. Been there before and it blows.

My sub doc says I'm fine, that I'm within my BMI so she doesn't really care. But I think I'm gonna ask her for the med that qhorsegal2 just mentioned: Megace. Appetite stimulant. Maybe that will help. Cuz this is a constant battle, reminding myself to eat all the time even when I don't feel like it. The gym stuff is positive. I was way skinnier before in the arms and chest, at least that has improved a bit but still I do not look normal.
Thanks for reading my long post. Please offer any suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:52 pm 

Milkshakes! Nice, high, fat content plus you can add protein, energy, whatever you want!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I lost 20lbs on subs but the reason for me is because I've been so constipated I have no appetite! Lol sorry tmi but it's the truth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

i have been on subutex for 6 years, within the first year or less i went from 165 to 150 and looked worse than when i was useing. I had an appetite and would eat over 3000 calories a day and never gain a pound, nothing worked. I had my bloodwork done by my doc and he said it looked fine. I eventually just got testosterone and went up 30 pounds, nothing else has had any effect..