It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: A weight lifted!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been on Sub for about 4 months now and have to pay out of pocket for my meds and Dr. In the beginning I had a family member helping me out by paying for my script. Last month and this month I had to pay for it, $100 for the Dr. and $460 for 60 8mg films. Well I had come to the conclusion I couldn't do it anymore, my husband also just lost his job so things are even tighter. I knew I was not ready to be off so I decided to bite the bullet and ask my Dr. if he could prescribe me generic Subutex, he ia a very good understanding Dr. and I hoped he would understand but from reading people's experiences here I was scared to ask. Well to my surprise he said he would switch me to the generic, he told me how the Naloxone is bull anyway and since I have been a model patient and never an IV drug user he had absolutley no problem with it. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and do not have to fear stopping sub before I am ready. I guess the main reason I am posting this is to say if you are paying for sub do not be scared to explain your situation to your Dr, they may be more understanding than you think. I mean what's the worst thing that could happen, they say no, at least you tried.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that some Dr.s would have their patients quit a life saving treatment because they can not afford it, rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt and prescribing the generic. I mean if they start screwing up after they have been prescribed Subutex then by all means put them back on Suboxone, but the fact that some Dr.s still treat us like untrustworthy junkies is ridiculous! We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy Smokes Breezy, that's fantastic news!! You're very fortunate to have a great doctor.

Post subject: Yay!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Breezy Ann, that is so cool of your doc to do that! I hope you save alot of money. Do you know how much you will have to pay for subutex?

I am lucky my doc takes my ins and I only pay 20 bucks a month for sub. I couldn't be on it if I had to pay more. I feel so greatful to even be on this med. I know there are alot of addicts who cant afford it or can't even get in to see a doc because of the stupid 100 pt cap.

Congrats to you! And kudos to your doc who sounds great!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Orangedoll, I haven't looked into the exact price yet as I still have suboxone so I haven't gotten my new script for the generic Subutex. From reading here I think I am going to save about half. It is still expensive but much cheaper than Suboxone. I will miss the film, I think it disolves much faster and feel like I get better absorbtion but I am absolutely willing to give that up to save the money. I really wish more Doctors were like mine, I think more lives would be saved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

and well said Breezy-ann". you did a good job being your own advocate- congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So happy for you Breezy!

Well why some DRs don’t do this is because they did do it once or twice and ended up getting screwed so what one or a couple bad patients do with a DR ruin it for the rest of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was lucky, I need my plug-in DOC, I only pay 20 dollars a month child. I can not, and if I had to pay more. I feel very grateful, even in the MED. I know that many drug users cannot afford, or even can not see a DOC, because the stupid PT 100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the posts guys! The only regret I have is I wish I would have asked sooner, I would have saved myself a bunch of money! I know some Dr.s will not do thid and because of other's experiences I was afraid to even ask. So if you think you have an understanding Dr. don't be afraid to ask, like I said the worst thing they can do is say no.