It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Weight Gain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Trebuchet] [/font] :oops:
Hello Everyone. I have been on Suboxone for about 6 months. I think Suboxone is a lifesaver for addicts who are lost and desperately need help. I'm definitely Pro-Suboxone and think it's a helpful tool in getting individuals off of opiates for good. I personally feel like it's also an anti-depressant, it sure makes my mood better. I know that some may disagree, but I also feel like Subs work for pain management. I also really appreciate the fact that Subs block the effects of Hydrocodone, Oxycodone etc. etc. For me personally, Subs block those other guys for a whole 6 days since the last dose of Suboxone! That really helps with the issue of Relapse!

Now, when it comes to side-effects that I've experienced...at first, I got extreme headaches, but that subsided after a week and I no longer suffer from them. I hate the excessive sweating I get from Subs. I am always hot and now that it's summer (in Arizona I might add) it's really difficult to deal with that side-effect. I also have some memory loss of things that should be super easy to recall! Still, I can deal with those side-effects. The one that I'm having most difficulty with is the weight gain. :oops: Now I know that Doctors will tell you that there is no sufficient evidence pointing towards weight gain on Suboxone, but I feel like the drug hasn't been around long enough to determine that. Plus, we all have different body's with different chemistry...the way one drug might affect one person doesn't mean that it affects every other person the same way.

My husband and I both started to gain weight when we got on opiates hard core. At first, it was just recreational and in moderation, but then we started doing drugs like Percocet and Oxycontin every single day. That's when our weight steadily started going up. We both have always been into working out and I have followed Weight Watchers for 13 years. We went from having these perfect bodies to not being able to drop the extra weight no matter how hard we try. When I was engaged not too long ago, I was doing the bridal boot-camp and I was really watching my diet, but still, I couldn't lose the fifteen lbs. I gained when I became an addict. The normal me would have been able to drop that weight and then some. I always believed that if I became a drug addict that I would become super skinny. I wasn't on crack, cocaine, speed or ecstacy though, I was on painkillers. Look at Elvis and Anna Nicole, they were on painkillers and they got really fat. Still, I think it's a blessing in disguise that I didn't get all skinny from opiates, otherwise I would have NEVER got off of them!

Anti-depressants make me lose weight. However, they made a friend of mine gain 60 lbs.! When she asked her Dr. for help, he told her it was in her head that the weight gain was attributed to the anti-depressant. She listened to herself and went off the anti-depressant cold turkey, went through long withdrawal, and recently lost 80 lbs. and looks amazing! She told me she knew it was the drug that was causing excess weight!

But to my answer my question, has anyone else gained weight on opiates or Suboxone or both? I sure did. If so, please comment. It helps me to know that someone has gone through the same thing. I have gained a total of 35 lbs. through this whole process. I love Suboxone but I don't think I can continue being on the drug when I am convinced it's preventing me from losing weight. You know how you believe your body is trying to tell you something? I believe I won't be able to lose this excess weight if I'm still on Suboxone. How do you make the choice between feeling better or going off the drug that makes you feel better in order to lose weight??? If you've gained weight and feel Suboxone has something to do with it, please respond.
Thank-you!
~Skyler

Post subject: Weight gain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Skyler,

Every word in your post could have been written by me. I have all of the same side effects you do....and the weight gain. I've weighed about 120-130 my entire adult life (I'm 49) and in the last 3 years since I've gotten on suboxone I've gained 80 pounds. I"m not sure if it's a side effect of the suboxone or if it's cross addiction. Now that I don't take pills, I've gone from one addiction to another (food). It will be interesting to hear how many others have a weight gain issue.

Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Skylar,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get as much help and support from the forum that I do.

As for the weight gain on opiates, I wanted to let you know that I also gained about 25 pounds once I discovered oxycontin. I have always been thin and never had a weight problem, and I hated this side effect of opiates, but of course I didn't hate it enough to be able to stop taking them. Since I have been on Sub, I have lost most of the weight, but I am also eating healthier and finally have some energy and drive to do more than isolate in my bedroom and eat whatever I could find.

I do think, though, that even if I had not lost the weight one I got stable on Sub, I still would not even consider ever stopping Sub. Being on oxycontin came very clsoe to killing me and robbed me of so much that it is going to take me a very long time to come to terms with some of the things I did, and lost while on it. If that means I have to carry around an extra 20 pounds, I fell it is worth it to have my life back, and to finally have some hope, because before I got on Sub, I had lost all hope.

If I were you I would try everything else before considering stopping your Sub treatment, but that is just my opinion. I would never put my recovery in jeopardy just to lose weight. I really hope that you are able to lose the weight without stopping Sub, and wish you all the best in your recovery.

Oh - one other thing I did when I started on Sub, was drinking a ton of water, and that is when I noticed the weight starting to come off. I'm not sure if that will make a difference for you, but it's worth a try.

Ginger

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Skylar and welcome,

I really can't say that my weight gain is due to opiates in general, but it's definitely not due to suboxone. When I went on sub, I actually LOST weight without even trying.

Like Ginger said, I wouldn't stop my treatment to lose weight, either. But that's just me. If you do decide to go off of sub, just make sure you have a good plan in place to avoid relapse at all costs.

Good luck to you!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it! It helps to hear your stories, I believe in trying to learn from others. :) Does anyone believe that Suboxone could slow the metabolism? Could constipation have something to do with the weight gain? Also, can anyone give me some tips on how to lose weight while on Suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm 47 years old, been abusing opiates for decades, and I've now been on suboxone for about 20 months. In those 20 months, I've put on about 30 pounds, but it seems to have leveled off. I think it helps that I'm going to the gym at least 2 or 3 times each week and I have dogs that I walk fairly regularly, but yeah, the weight gain is pretty common.

Post subject: Weight gain and suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I honestly feel that my weight struggles are due to the med. I have been on it for over 5 years. I originaly gained weight when I started taking pain pills. I have to say I have always had a struggle with food it was my frst addiction. Before I found drugs I had gotten up to 350 lbs. I then started loosing weight with another kind of med that gave me tons of energy. My addiction to drugs helped me loose a bunch of weight...I did get into everything cocoaine being a favorite. I had been on suboxone for a while and I relapsed on cocaine...at that time I was taking very little of sub because I was selling it to keep up with my cocaine addiction I lost a lot of weight again. But as soon as I enter back into recovery I start gaining. which I expect due to my lifestyle and actually eating, while using it is not my priority. Last time I gained 80 pounds within 7 months. This time I have gained 60 but much slower I have been clean for 2 and 1/2 years. I just believe that suboxone makes it much harder to loose weight, I have questioned myself if it slows the metabolism. and what constipation plays in it also. I have done all I can to eat healthy, I joined a gym and actually went daily and I did not loose anything. I crave sugar especially at night and I have heard form many other people on suboxone that they do too? Just my thoughts and wonders.

Jenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:21 pm 
My weight is at an all time high. It started the last year of my addiction and has continued to climb with the Sub. I just started the Medifast diet, which is supposed to result in rapid weight loss. It's been around for 30 years with many people to back it up, so if it doesn't work for me I'm going to have to suspect that it's because of the Sub. Also, I just reduced my dose in part because I was retaining water - so maybe that's part of the weight issue. Hopefully with the lower dose and the diet I can get back down to a healthier range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just posted about this somewhere else but I just wanted to add that your not alone. Suboxone, is without doubt the reason for my weight gain. I know my body very well and I know I have been experiencing an increased appetite since beginning suboxone and I know the reason for my weight gain is because suboxone is causing an increase in my appetite. I don't know about slowing down the metabolism. Although, I can tell you I've never had a problem with weight gain in my life and I'm 35 years old with three kids. A normal weight for me is between 135 and 150. After 16 months on suboxone I weighed 174 lbs! For the past two months I have struggled, I mean struggled to get down to just 162, normally I can drop 10 lbs just from increasing the amount of water I drink and not snacking. This has been a struggle because I'm always hungry. I'm currently trying to taper off of Suboxone, the side effects are getting to be too much. Primarily, the depression, weight gain, irritability and acne. I think I might be a sensitive person, sensitive to side effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi again,

I just wanted to add, that even since I posted this approx. 20 days ago, I have continued to lose weight while on Sub. After gaining SO much weight on oxycontin, having been thin all my life, it really devastated me to weigh so much. I did start losing weight slowly when I started on Sub. I actually relapsed a few times back to oyxcontin and every time, I gained all the weight back that I had lost on Sub. It was really frustrating, but also a very good deterrant NOT to relapse again.

So, since I have been stable on Sub, I once again started losing the weight. I drank a ton of water and also went to the gym. I would also go in the sauna to sweat out all the remaining toxins and water weight and it helped tremendously.

I know we are all different, and Sub affects everyone differently. I know I still would not stop taking Sub even if I did not lose the weight but can certainly understand your concern. It is hard to feel good about yourself ifyou are overweight. Especially when you are making so many good life changes while on SUB.

The other thing that really helped me lose the weight, besides drinking a ton of water, exercising and going to the sauna was going on a high protein diet and dropped all white sugar and white flour. That made a HUGE difference! I could not believe how fast the weight came off when I stopped eating that. I know most good dieticians recommend not to eat anything with white sugar or white four but it is really difficult to do. Almost all processed foods contain both. I also am really surprised at how much better I feel since I stopped eating both of those things. My energy level is SO much better and even my mood is better. White sugar and white flour are really poison to the human body and not digested well and can cause your metabolism to really slow down. I know the more of it we eat though, the more our bodies crave it. It is almost an addiction in itself. It is really difficult NOT to eat though because you have to change your diet so much, and it does take a long time to adjust. Now if I eat even white bread, I can gain weight from just a couple of pieces of toast, it's amazing and then I really feel rotten for the rest of the day since my body is no longer used to it.

Just a thought. If you are able to, try it and I promise you will notice a huge difference in as little as a week. Since I have made that change, I can eat almost anything else, and tons of it and not gain weight.

oh - just one more hint. I know it may be difficult to live without white sugar, but artifical sweetners such as aspartime, nutrasweet, etc, are even worse than white sugar. I will try and find the article I just read about dieters trying to lose weight and switching from sugar to artificial sweeteners and they gained even more weight than people that stuck to white sugar. If I need a real sugar boost, Ieat raisins, although I know a lot of people do not like raisins. I use natural honey in everything that requires sugar and it works well. Another really good weight loss aid is green tea. I do not really know why, but it is!

Hope some of this is helpful, I know how depressing weight gain can be expecially if you are used to being thin.

Let me know if you have any other questions or cooking suggestions.
Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Every one can share their thoughts about it. Here i am sharing some of my thoughts about weight gain and i am sure that all people will like it.

* Eat lots of protein and fat, as it is very helpful in increasing your weight.
* The first thing you need to do to increase your weight is to eat well. Eat more than you burn calories.
* Eating food, which contains more fat is good for people who are thin.
* Most people think that thin people should not exercise, as they could get even thinner. But it is recommended that they exercise so that they feel hungrier and eat more.

Post subject: Gained wieght too!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi All,
I went from 190 to 220 in 9 months! The only change was starting suboxone. All my Drs say its not possible. My counselors says I am probebly eating better and have a better appitite being off opiates. I swear, i eat the same , if not less junk! Maybe its the sugar in the coffee Im now addicticted too...LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Not all, but most of us who use opiates as our DOC, lose weight or at least maintain our weight because we don't take care of ourselves when in active addiction. Last time I walked into the methadone clinic I weighed 138lbs, and I'm 5'9". Three years later, during my annual physical, I weighted 218lbs!!!!! :shock: Never in my life have I weighed over 175lbs, and that was when I worked out. That's 80lbs of fat I gained in about 3 years. My dr. said because I'm clean now, I changed my addiction to food. WRONG. The only thing that changed was what I ate. Loads of sugar. I read on-line the other day that opiates cause a massive desire for sugar/carbs, and I can attest to that by saying I lived on Coco-Puffs and spaghetti when I was either on heroin or methadone. It also make your body hold onto water, that's why Elvis, or more recently Eminem, looked so swollen when they used. (Elvis never got a chance to detox though). Now that I detoxed enough to get onto Suboxone, my weight is back to 168lbs, but I did start to lose some, (like 10lbs) within the first month on Sub, even though I ate the same food, but my body weight has gone back up and leveled off so I'm back to my average weight, 168-170lbs. I read somewhere that weight gain is normal in the beginning stages of Sub use. I don't know if SUBOXONE effect your metabolism, but if methadone did, everyone would have tiny doses, which they don't. All I know is heroin made me lose weight, methadone made me gain it like crazy and Suboxone keeps my weight level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on suboxone, I have gained 80 pounds. I do not know if it is a suboxone or if it's the side effects of cross-addiction, and now I'm not on medication, I have gone from a net addiction, it will be interesting to hear how many people have weight gain problems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

tommyhankans wrote:
I've been on suboxone, I have gained 80 pounds. I do not know if it is a suboxone or if it's the side effects of cross-addiction, and now I'm not on medication, I have gone from a net addiction, it will be interesting to hear how many people have weight gain problems.

Hello there, I have been on Suboxone for almost eight years;
and - yes, I have gained weight on it:
I was around 160 lbs. when I had first began this treatment.
However, right now, I am up to 220 lbs.! :-O
So, if you do the math (which I am not too good at),
you can see that I have gained quite a bit of weight on Suboxone.

Moreover, I am definitely NOT going to STOP Suboxone treatment
due to this tremendous weight gain.
I just value my sanity and recovery WAY too much-
if that makes sense.

I am glad that you brought up this issue:
at least I know NOW that I am not the only one who has to deal with it.

Thanks,

exorphin

Post subject: Re: Weight Gain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Skyler wrote:
[font=Trebuchet] [/font] :oops:
Hello Everyone. I have been on Suboxone for about 6 months. I think Suboxone is a lifesaver for addicts who are lost and desperately need help. I'm definitely Pro-Suboxone and think it's a helpful tool in getting individuals off of opiates for good. I personally feel like it's also an anti-depressant, it sure makes my mood better. I know that some may disagree, but I also feel like Subs work for pain management. I also really appreciate the fact that Subs block the effects of Hydrocodone, Oxycodone etc. etc. For me personally, Subs block those other guys for a whole 6 days since the last dose of Suboxone! That really helps with the issue of Relapse!

Now, when it comes to side-effects that I've experienced...at first, I got extreme headaches, but that subsided after a week and I no longer suffer from them. I hate the excessive sweating I get from Subs. I am always hot and now that it's summer (in Arizona I might add) it's really difficult to deal with that side-effect. I also have some memory loss of things that should be super easy to recall! Still, I can deal with those side-effects. The one that I'm having most difficulty with is the weight gain. :oops: Now I know that Doctors will tell you that there is no sufficient evidence pointing towards weight gain on Suboxone, but I feel like the drug hasn't been around long enough to determine that. Plus, we all have different body's with different chemistry...the way one drug might affect one person doesn't mean that it affects every other person the same way.

My husband and I both started to gain weight when we got on opiates hard core. At first, it was just recreational and in moderation, but then we started doing drugs like Percocet and Oxycontin every single day. That's when our weight steadily started going up. We both have always been into working out and I have followed Weight Watchers for 13 years. We went from having these perfect bodies to not being able to drop the extra weight no matter how hard we try. When I was engaged not too long ago, I was doing the bridal boot-camp and I was really watching my diet, but still, I couldn't lose the fifteen lbs. I gained when I became an addict. The normal me would have been able to drop that weight and then some. I always believed that if I became a drug addict that I would become super skinny. I wasn't on crack, cocaine, speed or ecstacy though, I was on painkillers. Look at Elvis and Anna Nicole, they were on painkillers and they got really fat. Still, I think it's a blessing in disguise that I didn't get all skinny from opiates, otherwise I would have NEVER got off of them!

Anti-depressants make me lose weight. However, they made a friend of mine gain 60 lbs.! When she asked her Dr. for help, he told her it was in her head that the weight gain was attributed to the anti-depressant. She listened to herself and went off the anti-depressant cold turkey, went through long withdrawal, and recently lost 80 lbs. and looks amazing! She told me she knew it was the drug that was causing excess weight!

But to my answer my question, has anyone else gained weight on opiates or Suboxone or both? I sure did. If so, please comment. It helps me to know that someone has gone through the same thing. I have gained a total of 35 lbs. through this whole process. I love Suboxone but I don't think I can continue being on the drug when I am convinced it's preventing me from losing weight. You know how you believe your body is trying to tell you something? I believe I won't be able to lose this excess weight if I'm still on Suboxone. How do you make the choice between feeling better or going off the drug that makes you feel better in order to lose weight??? If you've gained weight and feel Suboxone has something to do with it, please respond.
Thank-you!
~Skyler

Hello Skyler!

I just thought I'd mention my weight stories. I actually lost weight... too much weight to be honest. The pounds were dropping everyday. I know it wasn't my eating habbits because they didn't change at all. I'm kind of a health freak so I eat the same set of meals. I don't know how else it could of made me lose weight; I doubt it speeds up my metabolism. My dad and brother are on this drug too and they both lost weight as well. We all quit at the same time. I gained about 4 pounds since quitting but thankfully it stopped at that. I'm really picky about my weight. I think I should also add that I was on Subutex rather than Suboxone... so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I guess you're right, all of our bodies are different and respond to drugs differently. Anti-depressants seem to make me lose weight too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi skyler". i believe suboxone is not all the couse of weight gain. i also lost weight on sboxone. but lately i gained a little.
i don't no'. but i feel the subs make me crave sweets? and i need to be careful in the middle of the night. i went down to the
frij last night and ate a half box of ringdings :( oh man i just crave UM;UM;UM. :lol: i'm drinking orange juice and apples this morning :)

Post subject: Sweet Cravings...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

johnboy wrote:
<snip>
i don't no'. but i feel the subs make me crave sweets? and i need to be careful in the middle of the night. i went down to the
frij last night and ate a half box of ringdings :( oh man i just crave UM;UM;UM. :lol: i'm drinking orange juice and apples this morning :)

Yes, johnboy, I also believe that subs make me crave sweets, as well.
I was 160 lbs. when I first started subs, almost 8 years ago;
but my weight had skyrocketed up to 220- mostly due to sweet cravings-
and eating sweets at night.

I am also on Topamax, which is known to decrease one's appetite.
However, I have been forgetting to take this med sometimes.
But, now I carry it with me, so that I do not forget to take it.
I sure hope that I do not gain any more weight!

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

exorphin" whats topamax never herd of it, and does it really work? maybe we shoudl put chains on our kitchen cabinets :lol:

Post subject: Topamax...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:50 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

johnboy wrote:
exorphin" whats topamax never herd of it, and does it really work? maybe we shoudl put chains on our kitchen cabinets :lol:

Hi, johnboy :)

Topamax is an anti-convulsant- but it is also used as a mood stabilizer for
bipolar disorder (this is why I am on it).

Here is a link on this drug, so that you can go check it out:

http://www.drugs.com/topamax.html

Hope this helps!

-exorphin-