It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Whatever Romeo.

Haha jk. I know I am wimpy. I have to have my bf open pickle jars for me all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo thinks he's funny. :?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just wanted to add that I lost weight after starting suboxone - approximately 25-30 lbs. But before I started suboxone, I was taking methadone for my opiate addiction, which seemed to make me gain 30 pounds. I was on methadone for a little over a year and in that time i gained a ton of weight. After starting suboxone, the weight started to gradually fall off and i seemed to have lost that "methadone" weight.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: Weight Gain
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Skyler wrote:
[font=Trebuchet] [/font] :oops:
Hello Everyone. I have been on Suboxone for about 6 months. I think Suboxone is a lifesaver for addicts who are lost and desperately need help. I'm definitely Pro-Suboxone and think it's a helpful tool in getting individuals off of opiates for good. I personally feel like it's also an anti-depressant, it sure makes my mood better. I know that some may disagree, but I also feel like Subs work for pain management. I also really appreciate the fact that Subs block the effects of Hydrocodone, Oxycodone etc. etc. For me personally, Subs block those other guys for a whole 6 days since the last dose of Suboxone! That really helps with the issue of Relapse!

Now, when it comes to side-effects that I've experienced...at first, I got extreme headaches, but that subsided after a week and I no longer suffer from them. I hate the excessive sweating I get from Subs. I am always hot and now that it's summer (in Arizona I might add) it's really difficult to deal with that side-effect. I also have some memory loss of things that should be super easy to recall! Still, I can deal with those side-effects. The one that I'm having most difficulty with is the weight gain. :oops: Now I know that Doctors will tell you that there is no sufficient evidence pointing towards weight gain on Suboxone, but I feel like the drug hasn't been around long enough to determine that. Plus, we all have different body's with different chemistry...the way one drug might affect one person doesn't mean that it affects every other person the same way.

My husband and I both started to gain weight when we got on opiates hard core. At first, it was just recreational and in moderation, but then we started doing drugs like Percocet and Oxycontin every single day. That's when our weight steadily started going up. We both have always been into working out and I have followed Weight Watchers for 13 years. We went from having these perfect bodies to not being able to drop the extra weight no matter how hard we try. When I was engaged not too long ago, I was doing the bridal boot-camp and I was really watching my diet, but still, I couldn't lose the fifteen lbs. I gained when I became an addict. The normal me would have been able to drop that weight and then some. I always believed that if I became a drug addict that I would become super skinny. I wasn't on crack, cocaine, speed or ecstacy though, I was on painkillers. Look at Elvis and Anna Nicole, they were on painkillers and they got really fat. Still, I think it's a blessing in disguise that I didn't get all skinny from opiates, otherwise I would have NEVER got off of them!

Anti-depressants make me lose weight. However, they made a friend of mine gain 60 lbs.! When she asked her Dr. for help, he told her it was in her head that the weight gain was attributed to the anti-depressant. She listened to herself and went off the anti-depressant cold turkey, went through long withdrawal, and recently lost 80 lbs. and looks amazing! She told me she knew it was the drug that was causing excess weight!

But to my answer my question, has anyone else gained weight on opiates or Suboxone or both? I sure did. If so, please comment. It helps me to know that someone has gone through the same thing. I have gained a total of 35 lbs. through this whole process. I love Suboxone but I don't think I can continue being on the drug when I am convinced it's preventing me from losing weight. You know how you believe your body is trying to tell you something? I believe I won't be able to lose this excess weight if I'm still on Suboxone. How do you make the choice between feeling better or going off the drug that makes you feel better in order to lose weight??? If you've gained weight and feel Suboxone has something to do with it, please respond.
Thank-you!
~Skyler

I don't know if you're still around but if your are, here goes. The weight gain happens because of the constipation. The natural process of your bm cycle is disrupted and it causes your hunger detector to malfunction, in other words, your body is still getting calories from the food you ate which should be gone by now but your hunger mechanism in your stomach says we need food. Ever notice after a nice bm that you don't feel hungry? I have the same problem, I gained 40 lbs in 3 years. I'm always hunger and for the junk food to boot! I used to be a super pooper champion now I'm just a dud who poo poos 2 or 3x per week if that! Def. the worst side effect. Everything comes with a price though, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

2 or 3 times per week? I wish! I only go once per week and that is only because on the 6th day I take milk of magnesia and/or Dulcolax, and that makes me go that day or the next. If I didn't do that, who knows how long it would be?? I always keep track now since I got on subs, to make sure I take these meds by the 6th day because I don't want to get backed up like I did the first week on subs when I went 9 days and was hurtin!!

I know you are supposed to go more than once a week, but I don't want to take these meds too much because I read that your body can get dependent on them. I'm always hoping that I will just go on my own one of these weeks, but it never happens and I HAVE to take the meds to make me go. :cry:

Post subject: weight loss
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Taurus,

I thought I read a post from you about how you eat no sweets but only vegetables. After starting on subs, is this still the case? If it is then my suggestion is going to be null but I was going to suggest eating lots of salads with vinaigrette dressings, (something about the vinegar vs. the all the mayo type dressings) Use your favorite greens, onion, pepper, cucumber, tomato, just about anything you like in your salad. Dressing is 1c. XVOO 1/3c. wine or cider vinegar, 1 T. Balsamic vin. Garlic salt (to taste) black pepper ground (to taste) and 1T.MSG (called Accent, available at any supermarket) Try that. Eat a big salad with this dressing on it everyday. See if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Detapitsnoc, I just posted a comment on your thread a few minutes ago.

Anyway, yes that was my post that you read about craving only veggies. I was like that my entire life, even as a child. But once I started taking opiates (even before I got on subs), I started craving sweets for the first time in my life. I don't know if it was just a coincidence and my taste just happened to change, or if it was because I started taking opiates (Vicodin), but now I LOVE sweets for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

I still eat a lot of salad though, so thanks for the tip! I will try it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

When I was on Sub before, I gained a ton of weight over 2 years. My energy was gone! My sub doc decided to test my testosterone level and found I had almost none in my body. That was why I gained so much weight. He put me on Androgel, but it did little for me except restore energy and my sex drive. So, for men, if you're gaining a bunch of weight get your doc to test your T level.

Bunny

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Bunnyman,

My big problem is my weight gain and my name spelled backwards! I don't have a woman in my life so the sex drive thing is convenient for me at this time in my life b/c I don't have anyone to benefit from it anyway. I spent my whole life searching for the right woman and she just NEVER came around. I tried to make a go of marriage once but she wasn't' the right one and we stayed together for 5 years and then divorced. So, I don't care if I ever find the right one at this time, I am so over trying to find what has come naturally for every one else I know so the subs kill the drive which is a good thing for me. If the testosterone doesn't help with anything but energy and sex drive, I don't need it. Thanks for posting.

Detapitsnoc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Detapitsnoc,

Thanks for the reply. I think the Androgel would help with weight gain. The trick is that you have to use it every day, which was hard for me. It is a strong smelling alcohol-based gel that is just a damn hassle to put on, and is damn near impossible to wash off your hands. IF I go on Subs again and IF I start to gain weight, I will try it again. They also have testosterone weekly injections, which sounds better to me.

Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on sub for about 2 years. Only gained about 5 pounds, probably dues to working out and gaining a little muscle. I was so skinny due to opiate use in the past, as were all of my "friends". I don't think it's as much that sub makes you gain weight, I think its more that the other opiates make you lose weight. Not by themselves chemically or anything, but from the lifestyle. Not eating so the pills would kick in better, being "high" and forgetting to eat, getting alot of energy to go out and do stuff because of the high. Then, when I wasn't high and out of opiates, I would just sit in my room and not be able to function or go do anything social. So, for some of us I think opiates, cocaine, and other drugs make us lose weight, and switching to sub would mean an increase in weight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think that all opiates cause somewhat of a sugar addiction that you have to watch... After 2 years on subs I have also gained weight (10-15 lbs) and I constantly battle it... I also suffer from depression and that makes me inactive and careless about what I eat.. luckily the suboxone gives me more energy to work out but i am so busy at times that I stop - then get depressed due to weight gain.

I see people lose and gain weight on suboxone. You have to look at other factors- eating and exercise choices, alcohol intake, smoking, etc...

I smoke and drink which makes me less active if I overdo it... and I'm getting older= decrease in metabolism.

As for food- like I said, I crave sweets but I also have had a loss of appetite with Sub use. Severely. Food doesn't taste as good so I go for overpowering tastes. But I also have somewhat of an eating disorder/body weight image complex so this could be tied to that as well. I have seriously considered going off subs for the weight struggles in general but I can't confirm that it has anything to do with my metabolism really... Midnight eating is common. However suboxone definately helps me with sleep. Oversleeping really. I often wonder if that is side effect bc I can easily snooze 10-14 hours on weekend if allowed then I wake up super lethargic. I am then dependent on subs to wake me up....
Like I said- I've seen people really lose weight too though. Like my ex- I think its more common in men possibly. Now heroin and pain pills always made me lose weight but I was much younger then... and I also am post childbirth now. :x :?: :?: