It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wish I was on the magic Suboxone you guys have been taking. Was on it for 4 years. Started off 6'4 160Ib. Still with deep cravings for food I just weight myself in at 128. Sadiest part is that it wasn't a gradual drop. Most that weight fell off within the first year of Suboxone and never gained any back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that everyone who said they lost weight was male. It just doesn't work that way for women. I not only gained weight on Sub, but I could not lose weight, even on an 800 calorie a day diet. I've been down to <1mg for over a week now, and I already feel like I'm losing weight, although maybe it's just my upset stomach. I'm definitely not craving the sweets as much as I was, but I still love them.

Post subject: Gain
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have gained about 10 lbs while on suboxone. I think it is due to water retention. Not good. I am going off and I am on a low dose. Making me feel worse since I started taking it. Joints hurt too. Have you noticed your ankles swelling or aching knees or other joints?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: Weight Gain
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:25 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Skyler wrote:
[font=Trebuchet] [/font] :oops:
Hello Everyone. I have been on Suboxone for about 6 months. I think Suboxone is a lifesaver for addicts who are lost and desperately need help. I'm definitely Pro-Suboxone and think it's a helpful tool in getting individuals off of opiates for good. I personally feel like it's also an anti-depressant, it sure makes my mood better. I know that some may disagree, but I also feel like Subs work for pain management. I also really appreciate the fact that Subs block the effects of Hydrocodone, Oxycodone etc. etc. For me personally, Subs block those other guys for a whole 6 days since the last dose of Suboxone! That really helps with the issue of Relapse!

Now, when it comes to side-effects that I've experienced...at first, I got extreme headaches, but that subsided after a week and I no longer suffer from them. I hate the excessive sweating I get from Subs. I am always hot and now that it's summer (in Arizona I might add) it's really difficult to deal with that side-effect. I also have some memory loss of things that should be super easy to recall! Still, I can deal with those side-effects. The one that I'm having most difficulty with is the weight gain. :oops: Now I know that Doctors will tell you that there is no sufficient evidence pointing towards weight gain on Suboxone, but I feel like the drug hasn't been around long enough to determine that. Plus, we all have different body's with different chemistry...the way one drug might affect one person doesn't mean that it affects every other person the same way.

My husband and I both started to gain weight when we got on opiates hard core. At first, it was just recreational and in moderation, but then we started doing drugs like Percocet and Oxycontin every single day. That's when our weight steadily started going up. We both have always been into working out and I have followed Weight Watchers for 13 years. We went from having these perfect bodies to not being able to drop the extra weight no matter how hard we try. When I was engaged not too long ago, I was doing the bridal boot-camp and I was really watching my diet, but still, I couldn't lose the fifteen lbs. I gained when I became an addict. The normal me would have been able to drop that weight and then some. I always believed that if I became a drug addict that I would become super skinny. I wasn't on crack, cocaine, speed or ecstacy though, I was on painkillers. Look at Elvis and Anna Nicole, they were on painkillers and they got really fat. Still, I think it's a blessing in disguise that I didn't get all skinny from opiates, otherwise I would have NEVER got off of them!

Anti-depressants make me lose weight. However, they made a friend of mine gain 60 lbs.! When she asked her Dr. for help, he told her it was in her head that the weight gain was attributed to the anti-depressant. She listened to herself and went off the anti-depressant cold turkey, went through long withdrawal, and recently lost 80 lbs. and looks amazing! She told me she knew it was the drug that was causing excess weight!

But to my answer my question, has anyone else gained weight on opiates or Suboxone or both? I sure did. If so, please comment. It helps me to know that someone has gone through the same thing. I have gained a total of 35 lbs. through this whole process. I love Suboxone but I don't think I can continue being on the drug when I am convinced it's preventing me from losing weight. You know how you believe your body is trying to tell you something? I believe I won't be able to lose this excess weight if I'm still on Suboxone. How do you make the choice between feeling better or going off the drug that makes you feel better in order to lose weight??? If you've gained weight and feel Suboxone has something to do with it, please respond.
Thank-you!
~Skyler

TO SKYLER: I have always had a problem with my weight...being overweight...it makes me hate myself and not want to go anywhere with my husband because I am ashamed of the wayI look. Since I started sub over 6 mos.ago, I have gain a little weight and really crave sugar. ...but , I have not tried to diet. When I seriously go on a diet I lose wt. I have lost over 100 lbs two times in my life. I look really good at about 135. I don't blame sub. I blame me for not trying hard enough. I would never go off my sub because of my weight...then I would just have two problems instead of one. I have started on a really "i'm going to do it" diet and am losingwt. I need to lose about 40 lbs. I think everyone here has said a lot of good things....like drinking water..exercise (i joined a zumba class) and so on. ...but I put my sobriety first above everything else..because if I am not SOBER I am LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I found this forum quite informative. Thanks for your suggestion and views. I have been using Slim weight patch recently and would follow your suggestions soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have slowly, but steadlily LOST wieght since being on suboxone, started in april.....
BUT before that, in my active addiction,,,, i gained about 60 pounds......
I used to not eat ANYTHING while I was high,,, and I'd get up in the middle of the night and eat a half gallon of ice cream.
and when Id run outta pills, but not be sick yet,,, I would eat EVERYthing in site...

SO I think thats why I have lost wieght since starting subs, I eat like a normal human now. plus I work construction,, I dont have the best diet, but not the worst either.....
I do eat alota junk food, but walking all day, and going up and down stairs burns alota calories, thankfully.

I just wana say,,, love yourself..... fat, thin, tan, orange, whatever.....
dont put ur sobriety up on the table to lose a few pounds, ya know??
at my job I started working at a large condo building,, (LOTS of stairs) and didnt see my doc for 2 months, when I went back I had lost 25 pds......... at my appointments, my wieght after one month would be about 5-8 pds less, so my doc was like WOA,,,, and BLOOD tested me for a drug test.... which was fine,, I told him it ws all the damn stairs at the condos... but you know, the docs like proof rather than just us x-junkies telling them whats up.....lol
it of course came back just as it should have, but I thought it was funny, becuase I exploded so much when I was using, the wieght loss thing was the last thing I would have thoght he would think as a red flag...
but whatever..

anyways hang in there SKYLER
we're all rooting for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am very impressed by the results of ziza in daily life. I see that ziza is getting more attention in media. In terms of botanical view, this tree grows at a faster rate and speed which is why more and more cultivation is carried out. They receive attention as they have plethora of staggering nutritious elements.

ZIZA

Post subject: What????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

anneparker wrote:
I am very impressed by the results of ziza in daily life. I see that ziza is getting more attention in media. In terms of botanical view, this tree grows at a faster rate and speed which is why more and more cultivation is carried out. They receive attention as they have plethora of staggering nutritious elements.

ZIZA

What does this have to do with this post or weight gain issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You told from your views.I did not get anyone got fat by using this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

1.Increase Caloric Intake
2.Increase the Number of Meals
3.Include Smarter Foods In Your Diet
4.Consume lots of Proteins
5.Eat Lots of snacks
6.Energy Fluids
7.Increased workouts
8 Weightlifting
9 Supplements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

i was reading thru posts to see if this topic was around before i made a new thread. when i was in active addiction i always weighed no more then 112. now that i am on suboxone (since the end of feb.) i am up to 130! i asked my therapist about if anyone else said that suboxone caused them weight gain and he says its my way of using food as another addiction. i thought his answer was crap. once i read this thread i see that others are eating more too while others are not. there goes the fact that subs treat everyone different. i know i am hungrier than i used to be. i also am eating at night. ugh i have started trying to limit some intake and have always took walks. wish there was an answer for those of us who have gained weight if our bodies metabolize differently now. and does our metabolism for food is that the same as our liver metabolism of suboxone? i been having thoughts/questions about possible liver metabolizing my subs faster. but i will try and find the thread for that thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've just lost over 65 pounds in the last 6 or 7 months. I did it with the help of a medication my doctor gave me: Topamax. It's used off-label to curb appetite. (It's a bipolar, migraine, anti-seizure med.) It's helped me SOOO much. People have asked me how I did it and I've told them and they've asked their doctors about it, but it's come to my attention that not a lot of doctors will prescribe it. I was VERY overweight though (5'3" and over 215 pounds). I'm now down to 148 and from a size 18/20 to a size 10. (YAY ME!)

If you've gained alot of weight, it's something you could ask your doctor about, but be prepared that s/he may not be willing to prescribe it. It just seems to depend on the doctor and how badly you might need to lose weight.

Before that, I lost about 40 pounds by portion control only. Eat what you want, when you want, but just eat LESS. That works really well, too.

Good luck.

(Oh and believe it or not, there's also many people who bitch about losing weight on sub!)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Congrats Hatmaker510!
I was a firm believer that subs were making me gain weight and also holding me back from loosing. I have always struggled with my weight since I was a young child. Food was my first addiction. I had been about 350lbs then I found drugs...lost almost 200lbs while active in addiction. I started sub about 6 or more years ago. I gained weight while in a halfway house about 60lbs in 7 months...then relapsed lost the weight and hit bottom once again(I was relapsing on cocaine which makes me a firm believer that subs work but we addicts need more than just a pill we need therapy or something more with it!). Tomorrow I will have 4 1/2 years clean!!!! yahoo! I slowly gained 80lbs over almost 4 years I said to myself well I guess I cant have everything I will take being heavy over being a drug addict. Well about 8 months ago I had an awakening and stopped sugar, started eating b fast and lunch, and going to the gym (20 mins on treadmill thats all I do) and I have lost 75lbs! I am still on subs I have gone down from 24mg-12mg over the 4 years. I dont think going down contributed at all to weight loss I had started loosing before my last drop from 16 to 12mg so I dont think its related. I now think for ME I turned to food mostly sugar and I swore it was the subs. I have proven myself wrong...I can loose weight and be on subs and I CAN have it all! meaning being happy, healthy and not using!!!!!
I hope this gives someone some hope! I swore I couldnt be at a healthy weight without drugs and I am now just mildly overweight. I had been 250 I am 5'8" and I am now 175. I am still in process of loosing but very slowly and healthy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Doesn't it feel downright wonderful to drop that much weight?? I started struggling with my weight around 15 years ago, but was relatively thin when I was younger. Now I feel like my old self again, although I was resigned to living my life the way I was, as an obese person. I'm overwhelmed that I was able to achieve this goal and YOU SHOULD BE, TOO!

I'll pat you on the back and you pat me. :mrgreen:

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey KeepSmiling, welcome to the forum!

I have never really cared much for sweets. I was a strange child...I craved vegetables all the time. My mom would ask me if I wanted a candybar when we would go grocery shopping, and I would say no, I want some brussel sprouts! But I did notice that over the last few years, ever since got addicted to Vicodin, I really started craving sweets. I would rather have cake or ice cream for dinner than regular dinner food. And this happened all day...for lunch and breakfast too. This was very strange to me because I never liked them before.

I think for me it was the opiates, whether bupe or hydrocodone, it didn't matter, because I still crave sweets on sub. Or maybe it could just be that my taste changed, and it just happened at the same time I started taking hydro? I guess I'll find out if/when I ever decide to get off of subs. If my taste stays the same, then it I'll know it wasn't the opiates at all, and just my taste changing.

But I did lose weight on hydro because I always tried to keep an empty stomach so I could feel them med more when I would take the pills. Plus after I took the pills, I wouldn't be hungry anymore. I have noticed that a little with sub too, but I do eat more on them since they are taken sublingually, and I don't need to keep an empty stomach for them to absorb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read an article in "parenting, the early years"
that said, our taste buds change, on average, every 7-10 years!!! isnt that nuts???
that couldve caused your taste changes

and just for me (i already posted on here)

at induction I was like 270 pds!!!!!

now Im down to 200
doing construction, I work really hard, and I have alot of muscle, I always hear I dont look like I wiegh what I do :roll:
I wear like a 34'' or 36'' in mens jeans,(depends on brand) I cant wear womens jeans I have NO hips, or ass really... :roll: :roll:

anyway a year ago, I think a 42'' was tight. so I know Ive slimmed down a lot. but I KNOW Ive gained muscle too, things are way easier to carry than they used to be. and of course, I flex my muscles when IM ALONE,,, it puts a smile on my face :)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ummm, Amber....I hate to be the one who bursts your little bubble, but girls don't have muscles....only boys do. Girls = weak, boys = strong.

I see you do construction, what do you do, build bird houses? Yeah, a lot of heavy lifting there, eh. :roll:

:) ....... :D ....... :lol: ......BAH HA HA!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG, I almost pissed myself laughing,,,,,

yes, you know building homes, (even custom/ocean front ones) and condos and hotels,,,

I NEVER hear smart ass remarks from MEN who think they should be comedians :roll: :roll: :roll:

dont quit your dayjob and go on any comedy road shows

better stick to being behind your computer, where your table muscle can grow :P

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AH AH

(Im sure everyone can tell were joking, i hope)

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I've been waiting all day for you to read my post. I've been laughing and giggling all day while eagerly waiting your response. I just knew you'd go :shock: !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

it wasnt that I was SHOCKED at your response,

I laughed,

but one thing Ive learned on the JOBSITE< you know where we make birdhouses,

is you GOTTA FIGHT BACK

or its like a pack o wolves after ya!!!!!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH