It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: weening off sub
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hello 2 all, just registered here today and i'm looking for some realistic info for weening off sub. backstory, addicted to oxy 3 years(started with vicoden occasionaly after getting hurt at work) 1x 40mg ,then up to 6x80mg a day (when i could get it) my supply got busted,so i went to the clinic & got on methadone & stayed on for about 6 years. I got tired of being sick & tired,i was @ 240mg meth. & i wanted off. so i did some research on my options(no insurance) and decided on sub. in 3 weeks went from 240 to 40mg, waited about 40 hours(doctor said 24) then took 8mg subutex on may 6, At 8 pm .within half an hour i went into massive full-on withdrawl's . I'll skip the ugly parts ,but i was not prepared for all that. i don't know if it was devine intervention or sub kicking in,but i finaly fell asleep at 9 am next morning for a couple of hours,then took 16 mgs subutex. that was 46 days ago. i'm now back down to 8mgs (prescribed 16mgs a day originaly) and i'm gonna try 4mgs in a couple of days . It took me 2 weeks to start feeling halfway normal but every day gets better. I go to meetings and exercise when i have the energy. I'm 38 and i want to get my active life back, i'll appreciate any good advice. thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi peto and welcome to the forum - we're glad you're here. There are many threads under the "Stopping Suboxone" category that will provide you with alot of information. I'm still on it and likely will be for the long haul, so I can't give you any personal experience about tapering off. However, the general consensus is that a long, low, slow taper is the way to go. And by long I mean over a period of months. Many say it's best not to "jump off" until you get down to .125 mg or less. Again, this is not based on personal experience, just what I've learned from this forum. Oh, and there's a thread on the "Liquefied Taper" method - alot of people prefer that route.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest that you check out the "Stopping Suboxone" section where you will find a wealth of information provided by the members here who have tapered and/or stopped using suboxone.

Personally, at one point, I tapered myself from 16mg down to 1mg, but that was over a relatively long time frame (about 18 months).....so, I guess my suggestion would be to give some thought to tapering very slowly, if you want to remain relatively comfortable during the process.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good for you, giving this a go! The weaning will definetly help with getting off the suboxone, and getting off should go smoothly. I got off subs cold turkey, anywhere from 1-2 8mgs a day. One day, just stopped, went through withdrawals, it;s been 23 days now and I feel amazing.

Just wanted to let you know, you can do this. Get as low as you can, and make the leap. Even though the sub withdrawals I experienced were awful, I will admit that just being on Suboxone saved my life. Sounds like it has for you too, now it's just time to take it to another level. Good luck to you, let me know if I can be of any help! Take care! --Sarah