It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all, so I am 8 weeks pregnant on Sunday found out I was expecting about two weeks ago. I have been clean for two years and have been slowly tapering off suboxone for the past year, I'm down to 0.5 mg in the am and a very small 0.125 in the pm. Since I am pregnant it is mandatory to be switched over to subutex which I started taking three days ago. This pill is sooo tiny it's impossible for me to get my pm dose. My dr suggested that I go up to 0.5 am and 0.5 pm which I knew was to much, so I bit the 0.5 in half at night and was super sick the whole next day like an opiate hangover, so I said screw it and I skipped my pm dose last night, I had mild restless legs and arms and mild discomfort, I am just so scared I will miscarry. It's not much withdrawals but the baby is still so young! I'm just so stuck idk what to do.

Has anyone been through something similar and there baby is ok?? It's such a small dose and I'm listening to my body with withdrawals, they are so mild and only at night. Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated! I'm 24 and this is my first baby.

Peace&Love

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:57 am 

I don't really know the answers to your questions. You are on such a low amount that I don't know if it would hurt the pregnancy to stop taking the buprenorphine or not. I hope that one of our doctors comes along to give you some advice.

I also wanted to welcome you here and tell you that I wish you the very best with your pregnancy.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:50 am 

I'm like Amy, I'm not sure exactly what to recommend about stopping and withdrawal. But I will tell u what I'd do if I were to become pregnant right now..... not taper and not try to stop taking buprenorphine. I'd stay at my normal dose. In ur situation, if it were me, I'd do what ur doctor suggested on taking the .5 and .5.

There's really nothing telling u that u have to stop buprenorphine right now. Some ladies report their blood levels go up while pregnant which causes them to actually need more medication than before. So maybe just take it easy before making any rash decisions about ur medicine. Pregnancy gets harder, don't go making big changes just yet. That's my opinion, hopefully one of our doctors will be along too.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Since I am pregnant it is mandatory to be switched over to subutex

It is not mandated, recommended, but not mandated. The Naloxone is at such a low dose and is considered category C for pregnancy. That class means we have no data showing problems but not enough data saying it is safe. Many drugs are in that class.
I have had a couple women opt to stay on Suboxone films. One for your very reason, very low dosing and couldn't make the tabs work. The other didn't want to 'rock the boat' so to speak. Baby had NAS which has nothing to do with the Naloxone of course. One of the local providers routinely kept his patients on Suboxone films during pregnancy without any problems.
A bit out of the box but if you have a history of 'pain' requiring opiates you could transition to Butrans or Belbuca. They are in microgram per hour doses that would match what you are currently getting.
Your current dose is 0.5125, consider 30% absorption for about 150 micrograms a day. Butrans has a patch 7.5 micrograms an hour which would cover your requirement.
Unfortunately it cannot be used for Substance Use Disorder, only for pain.
The other option could be crushing the tablet and taking what looks like 1/8 of the powder. I shudder however whether this can be a trigger for someone.
If you do go up to .5 mg a twice a day you will quickly adapt to the dose. I have had about 12 people on Buprenorphine get pregnant or transition to Buprenorphine when they found out they were pregnant and even at .5 twice a day you would be far below the doses they were on.
I would not be a fan of stopping at this point due to the high rate of relapse that can occur, and perhaps some risk of miscarriage.
Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you doc and thank you everyone for your replies! I was very hesitant about going higher even if the dr said so or not because only I know how I feel and what feels right. I finally got a good dose of a tiny chip of my .5 and that holds me over, I've been doing it for three days now and I'm leveled out and I feel back to normal. Unfortunately the drs recommendations is always to take more and my body doesn't agree with it as I said I felt extremely sick only taking half of what the dr wanted me to go up to, i know I can't go through major withdrawals being pregnant but I also didn't want to go overboard so I started with a tiny chip and it has worked great. The first two nights were a tiny bit uncomfortable but nothing serious. Everything is going well! Thank you again

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Unfortunately it's is mandatory at my clinic, I do not have the option to stay on the suboxone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello LifeIsGood93,

Just stops by to this question end up reading whole thread. I prefer you to not take any big decisions, as the it is tough to cope with them in later stages of pregnancy

Good Luck with the baby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yea relapse isn't a issue for me, I had been in matheadone treatment for a year tapered to a low dose than went to suboxone because I didn't like how I always felt high and have been tapering for a year also so I have two full good years of no street drug use, I haven't thought about using since I started my treatment two years ago. Let me tell you I feel more and more like myself every time I taper and I slowly tapered to finally get there but now I have to wait till my pregnancy is over obv. I'm very grateful but drug use and getting high it's just not what I want anymore and I have been serious about it for a long time, I don't have cravings at all it's amazing. Now it is a physical dependency, I slowly tapered because I was scared of withdrawals not because I was scared of using. I'm in college and learning in psychology that our brains, our habits can be changed with our thoughts and actions really helped me. Imagine your brain is playdoh and you can mold it back to the way you were before drugs or even better! It's called plasticity and it's amazing! That's why I didn't do meetings and all that. I got up and changed my life i started college, got a job, rekindled old relationships and went after my dream and goals! Now I have a lot to loose!
But thank you for your response and concern! My baby is going to have great loving parents! I pray for anyone still using, so many deaths the past year or two people have just been dying left and right. I never used the needle it was always through the nose and I've heard once you use the needle it's even harder to stop so I'm always very very grateful that I never picked that up!

Peace&Love