It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 3 weeks on Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone,

Been following this site for the last month, it has been great help. I was abusing Opiates for 3 years (the last 2 years every day, big numbers by the end).

I was truly spiralling down a dark hole. Family (wife and 3 kids), work, friendships, volunteer work, were all slipping through my fingers. To be honest they probably had slipped through my fingers and I was holding on by thread.

Life as knew was almost over, and then I ran into an ad for suboxone and eventually found this site. I admitted everything to my wife and the next day we went to see a Sub Dr. Any addict out there who feels as hopeless and as lost as I did - there is hope. I'm still kinda dumbfounded by what's happened. I have my life back, I actually can't believe it to be honest. I went from the darkest place I've ever been in to one of hope, happiness, and belief that everything might actually be ok.

I don't believe in much, everything I've earned and achieved has been through hard work, but let me tell you, everyone could use a hand once in a while, and certainly some in full out active addiction could use a reset switch/break whatever you want to call it.

Thanks to everyone on the site and please anyone in the pits of despair, give Suboxone a try - what do you have to lose (you're not already going to lose anyway)?

RSB

Post subject: Re: 3 weeks on Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on finding your way and starting to get your life back. I know the feeling. It really is a bit of a miracle when put in the right hands with the right motivation. Keep posting and let us know how it goes!

What dose are you on?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tinydancer wrote:
Congrats on finding your way and starting to get your life back. I know the feeling. It really is a bit of a miracle when put in the right hands with the right motivation. Keep posting and let us know how it goes!

What dose are you on?

I know right, it feels like a bit of one. I wanted my life back so badly but I was so messed up I had no clue how to get there, I mean no clue. I can say without equivocation Subs saved my life.

I'm on 8mg.

It's been an exiting awaking but I also need to deal with the damage I've left in my wake which I'm sure most can attest to ain't fun.

Tiny I've actually followed your timeline and story - you have a lot to be proud of.

Rsb

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rsb,

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have alot to be proud of to my friend. Don't discount the courage it takes for you to get to where you are today! As for the damage that has been done. I can totally relate to that, as can most of our members here. It takes time, but you will get there. Have you found your way to some kind of a recovery program yet? AA/NA is a good option, but it's not the only one that works. One of our members, Romeo, has had great success working with an addiction counselor. Suboxone is a great start, but it helps to have a little insight on how to continue learning about recovery and getting those tools you will need in place for long term success.

I just wanted to welcome you and tell you how happy it made me to read your story! I wish you the best of luck!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Q thank-you for the generous words and kind welcome.

And as for the advice, I like it. Question, do I just show up at an NA meeting? I think I have an addiction councillor (I live in a pretty massive city with lots of services) but any additional advice on those.

I really want to use Sub as a tool (long or medium term) to aid me in creating some internal ability to help myself with this disease. I know I can never let myself get back into I guess what they call active addiction, that will likely kill me and will def destroy my beautiful family.

RSB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Absolutely, you just find an NA meeting that would fit into your schedule and show up. They are usually very welcoming of newcomers. Don't worry about not knowing what's going on. They are used to that to. You'll figure it out pretty quickly. :wink:

One word of caution. Most of the hardcore NA members will not support you being on suboxone. They don't consider it being "truly clean". I would just keep that little bit of information to myself until you find someone you can trust. You can participate in meetings and gain a ton of knowledge, just don't tell them about the subs. It's none of their business!

This is the reason that alot of people find it a little difficult to participate with NA/AA while in sub treatment. However, I happened to find a great group who didn't give a crap what I was doing. I was advised not to bring it up in meetings, and had a wonderful experience. As they say, "take what you like, and leave the rest."

Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RSB

Hi & Welcome! I go to NA meetings & was also advised not to mention i am on sub. I started going to meetings before getting on sub & found a "group" i like. I also started seeing an addiction counselor & he is trying to put a sub group together so our "sub" group can talk freely about anything we don't feel comfortable talking about in NA/AA. He is now asking all his patients if they are interested & he told me most said yes.

I don't know if i am allowed to say this & moderators please delete if this is inappropriate...There are other recovery groups. SMART is one that i like. if you live in a big city there may be a group near you. The only thing in my area is NA/AA...just google "non AA groups".

Working recovery is very important. Glad to have you here!

Tiki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Tiki,

Of course you are allowed to mention any kind of croup that you want to!

The only thing we have a problem with here is when people start bashing others for their choice of recovery method. Please feel free to recommend anything you like!

Disagreeing with others is completely fine. We don't even have a problem with those who don't really like suboxone...as long as they are respectful, and don't make blanket statements saying that others are wrong in their own choices.

Q

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Q and Tiki thanks so much for the advice. I'll check out NA and a non aa group, a sub NA group would be awesome (lol i think). i"m googling a few addictions counselors to see what comes up.

I've done a ton of reading on this site and it's seems pretty unanimous that therapy in whatever form it takes is vital to long term recovery. i just feel like i want to catch my breath for a moment as i havent felt "normal' or me in so long but i'm guessing now is the time to get into it while i'm still laser focused on getting as better as i can be.

RSB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello all..
Lots of good stuff here on this thread.
Well im posting today to tell you all how our sub/12 step meeting is.
Our clinic sponsors this meeting for us.
We had our one year lastweek.
It does take commitment to keep a meeting going.
Our clinic has a 4 meeting min the first year. Forced you might say.
There are as many as 500 addicts in this clinic.
So you would think that our meeting would be full most Mondays. No it is not. Why? Becuz i see those people on sub who do not want 12 step . Its really to bad they would get alot out of our small group.we talk about the steps and suboxone. I always tell these addicts about thos forum and Dr J's Talk Zone.I feel it is very important to have a well rounded recovery plan . More than just bupe...
So best of luck forming your group. Hope all are doing well. Im holding at 6mgs and doing well. Best of luck to all of you...razor55..