It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 2 weeks Suboxone free
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone. I have been suboxone free for about 17 days now. Although I feel fine overall, my energy level is drastically low, and I have not been able to sleep well at night. All in all, I am fine, and the thought of opiate use has not crept into my head yet. I think my last go round with painkillers really left a bad taste in my mouth I really pray I never go down that road again.

Has anyone else had a dramatic increase in appetite since quitting? Just curious. I had tapered down to a microgram dose (250 micrograms), but since I got over my 3 or so days of WD's, I have been eating non stop. I can't seem to stay full, and am gaining a little weight. Not that it matters I was just wondering why my appetite has suddenly skyrocketed.

I smoke MJ, quite often, have for the last 20 or so years, and don't plan on stopping that any time soon. It really does calm and comfort me. I don't think that is why my appetite has skyrocketed though. Considering I have done that the whole time on Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's really hard to say why your appetite's gone up because I never had that experience coming off opioids. The exception was when my using made me grossly underweight. After the detox phase finished I'd eat LOTS to get my body back to its healthy weight. But Suboxone is more stable than active addiction. I'm unsure whether it's an appetite suppressant?

It's possible that being on Sub made you less susceptible to getting the munchies? The few times I've smoked while on Sub I haven't felt overly hungry, not like I used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I needed more food when I was detoxing. I remember that.. I don't know why it is, you'd think that you'd be less hungry but that wasn't the case for me. I've gained weight. =(

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:09 am 

I wish I knew the answer to why your appetite has increased so much while you're withdrawing from sub. I know that I've gained weight since going on sub and I honestly don't know what's going to happen when I go off completely. It doesn't seem like my appetite has increased since I started tapering, so I just don't know how it works. Everyone is so different!

I want to say congratulations on the 17 days! I know that's not easy. Keep up the good work!

Amy

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have noticed the same thing at first i thought it was my mind trying to substitute food for sub but now i think it is because of the partial agonist antagonist properties of sub. It almost acts like an appetite suppressant in some people and i know i have read that some people take too much to get a speedy buzz feeling. So it stands to reason when coming off that we crave food and or do no have that partial in our system anymore and would be more prone to hunger.

just my take
S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also believe that food increases our endorphines and it may be our body's way of getting some kind of pleasure during a difficult time. Just a thought..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah that's true. Among recovering heroin addicts here there's this saying for it - when you "put down the spoon and pick up the fork". Eating can be one of many things we can do to "fill that hole". When people give up Suboxone they're more susceptible to cross-addiction, because (IMO) Sub has been kinda suppressing our addictive nature as a whole.

The stimulant effects of Sub might be contributing. If that was the case, you probably lost weight when you went on Sub, and are only putting it back on. Kinda like meth addicts do.