It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm 25 years old and 37 weeks pregnant with my first child. I'm currently taking about 2mg of sub a day. When i first found out i was prego i found this website and it made me feel less horrible about taking sub. Then i went on a diff site and read a blog about some women getting reported to CPS. I'm soooooo scared that something like that will happen to me. Nobody in my family knows im still on sub. So im also terrified that there gonna have to keep my baby in the hospital and im gonna have to tell everyone why. Then i have to deal with everyone thinking im a bad mom and watching me all the time. I guess my concern is... Do you think my baby will experience any withdrawls and have to stay in the hospital on 2mg a day? Do you think CPS will get involved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, Alex, I can only imagine how freaked out you must be right now. You need better advice than what I can give you though.

You need to find someone you can trust and ask these questions. I don't think it's a good idea for you to keep your Sub use from your doctor (your OB or midwife that is). What if you need pain relief after delievery or if you have a C-section? Or if there are any issues with the baby, the doctors need to know.

From what I've read and from what Dr. Junig has written, the withdrawals (for the baby) from Sub are mild, but many doctors don't know what to do with a mom and baby on Suboxone. You really need medical advice on this one.

I guess with CPS it depends on the situation. I would think that if you're in treatment, there shouldn't be a problem. I know that if doctors find drugs in a baby's blood they have to report it though.

What does your Sub doctor say? Has s/he had any other patients go thru pregnancy? Maybe s/he can talk to your OB?

I know you're freakin but you need a plan. You never know what might happen during a birth so you need to have your bases covered.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there Alex123

I found a post on the doc's Talk Zone about newborn babies and suboxone withdrawal for you to see:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/?p=856

I'll try to find more information for you. Try not to worry about it.. I think it'd be a good idea if you could get a hold of the anaesthesiologist ahead of time and tell him the situation, and maybe he will know or find out how to handle it.

Jim

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really do think you'll be just fine if you talk with your doctor and let them know where you're at in life. Everything I've heard and read suggests that withdrawal is too rough for unborn children for it to even be considered as an option. My mom works in a nursery and she's told me about quite a few babies delivered to methadone maintained mothers and their babies were just fine after delivery! I've even heard stories of children born to mothers on Suboxone who didn't seem to experience any symptoms of withdrawal and even if there is some minor withdrawal they'll take care of it and there have been no long term documented physical or cognitive problems with kids born to mothers on methadone and I'm confident that as Dr. Junig has written several times babies born to mothers on Suboxone aren't going to be any different than babies born to normy moms. No one came to take their children from them if they didn't have illicit drugs in their system. You might also think about the nurses and doctors who have addict kids like me who know that we aren't bad people we just have an illness. People who have watched their children, brothers, sisters, parents, spouses who've struggled with addiction and will realize what kind of a person it takes to not surrender to it and have the courage and maturity to do everything they can to make ther life and more importantly their unborn child's life better! You can know there are people who understand you're trying to improve your situation and please don't ever let anyone convince you that you're somehow inferior for being a recovering addict I'd be willing to bet 90% of normies don't have what it takes to stay in recovery!

Please just talk with your doctor and let them know what's going on and please don't make any medical decisions without talking to your doctor :) I really, sincerely think you and your child will be 100% ok!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey there Alex123, I know a girl who was taking suboxone the whole time she was pregnant and never told the doctor. I have no clue how this happen but she didnt even know she was pregnant till she was already far enough along to know what sex the baby was. So when she first found out she was a real mess. She felt bad enough for not know she was pregnant till she was that far along so she never told the doc she was also on suboxone.

Well long story short she never told the doctor .... her baby was born healthy and cute as ever. The baby is almost 2 years old now and he is just like any other 2 year old I know. I hopw this helps ease your mind a little bit. If you have any question you would like me to ask the girl i would be more then happy to ask them for you. This girl I speak of is my sister inlaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am 9 months prego and just went through the same worries about them keeping the baby and what i and my doctor came to was this. When I first went to my doctor they tested me for everything under the sun. At the time I was on 2 mg a day and my drug test came up negative. Unless they are specifically testing for suboxone it shouldn't come up as a opiate like heroin or oxys or whatever. It doesn't show up like that in a drug test. Plus if you are a very small dose, the chance of it crossing the placenta wall is less likely to show up in the baby. You can have something in your test and not have cps after your baby HOWEVER if something shows up inthe baby's system then they do. Thats how my doctor put it to me. Either way you should be ok.

I am in the same boat. I just moved here (vegas) after i found out i was pregnant and I'm glad cuz even if i wanted drugs this whole time I couldn't get them cuz I don't know anyone. But we moved here cuz my mans Dad and unkle lived here and were trying to get him in a good union job. anyways they don't know I'm on suboxone. I'm not worried cuz in the hospital I get to choose who is there and when. so if there is a problem, (which I doubt cuz he seems pretty darn healthy from all the tests and weight ect..) I get to choose who knows what information. Everybody can come visit after the whole shibang is done and baby and i have rested. Your gonna be ok. I was really frightened too. the most important thing you can do for your baby is to stay clean. If you need suboxone to do that than stay on it. I completely understand though cuz I'm in the same boat. I got myself down to .5 mg some days 1mg on others. I'm proud of myself for that.
anyways I'l stop blabbing now. Good luck with everything!

Post subject: It will be fine!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Please, please..stop panicking. I did the same exact thing in the same situation. With my third baby, I was on 7 or 8 mg when I found out, but weaned to 3 mg very quickly and also changed to Subutex. I swear, the guilt and fear were so terrible I knew my poor baby would be born totally messed up, and THEN....she was born perfect. She had zero, zip, zilch withdrawals. Furthermore, the neonatal people acted like they already knew she'd be fine. She just turned two and she is way ahead...full sentences, beautiful, stubborn as me, and full of giggles. My whole pregnancy was horrible because of the stress, and every story I've heard about babies born on either Suboxone or Subutex has resulted with no complications from the meds. Thank God...and enjoy your baby!

Laddertipper