It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have read so many stories about babies experiencing NAS... Im freaking... I have tappered from 16 Mgs a day to 2 mgs sometimes taking up to 4mgs per day in the last week... I will absolutely just die if my little boy goes through withdrawls... I read that it does not matter if you take a little or alot, there is a 50/50 chance... This whole experience has caused me to not enjoy my pregnancy... I experience anxiety everyday... I worry about going to the hospital, and being judged, I worry about people taking my baby away, If my fiances family finds out that I am on Subs... The list is endless... I don't know what to do... Any advice please! I also smoke cigarettes on top of all of this... Cut down and now as the end of my pregnancy comes to an end Im back up again... I feel like a terrible soon to be first time mom... I feel like I don't deserve my child...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was told that suboxone was fine to stay on, as long as I did not take anything else with it ... The baby would be fine... No WD's... My sub doctor told me this!

Post subject: Breathe!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Take a breath.. don't google. No one can take your baby away if you're using suboxone legitimately, through a suboxone doctor, as directed. This is not illegal and will not result in your parental rights being taken away. At most, your baby will be monitored and cared for as needed. You are really not on a high dose considering your increased blood volume, right now. Try not to stress, that's no good for you or the baby. Relax, take care of yourself and hope for the best. There a huge chance your baby will not show any signs of withdrawal symptoms. Does your OB/GYN know you're on sub or are you keeping it to yourself?

If your doctor and the nurses will know, you may want to talk to them about your privacy needs in regards to the baby's health. You may want to let them know what info can be shared with others, such as your fiance and his family. I'm not clear on how that works.. what rights the father has to know about the baby's health...? I would imagine the father has access to the same info but perhaps someone can correct me on that.

Anyway, try to stay calm.. there isn't anything you can do about it. Reminds me of this:

Other than seriously cutting down on smoking, you just have to get zen with where you're at and do the next best thing for the you and the baby. One step at a time. Ok?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes... My OB knows actually she was the one that did not want me to stop taking it... She encouraged me to stay on until the baby is born... I have been honest about my treatment the whole time I have been pregnant...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, that's great! Can you talk to her about the "what ifs" when it comes time to deliver? What will likely happen in the off chance that the baby has some withdrawal symptoms? Also ask her what the policies are in regards to sharing info with the father. She should be able to put your mind at ease and talking this stuff out with your doctor will be beneficial for you. It's about all you can do at this point.

((hugs))

Congratulations, by the way!! Wishing you a healthy and easy delivery.

p.s. - easy on the smoking. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mommietobe1973,

I've been a member of this forum for almost 3 years, I've read many stories like yours on here and the vast majority of women who give birth while on Suboxone have a completely normal pregnancy and their child does NOT suffer NAS.

I've seen the 50/50 number thrown around before, but from what I've seen, it's more like 95% chance NO NAS, maybe 5% of NAS while on Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What does NAS stand for? narcotic something sydrome? Anyways, I don't have an experience or good advice but tinydancer's advice seems like the best thing you can do, including the easy on the cigarettes. I wish you the best with your baby, be happy and enjoy this special time of your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

here's a good article for you to read,,,, I'll post it after my "two cents" on this topic.....

have you thought of the alternatives???

you are on suboxone, for addiction or dependance, right??? of narcotics, obviously....

well let me tell you a little story.... the "short version"
I used throughout my pregnancy,,, my son will be 5 in december... they took him by emergency C-section, almost 6 weeks early.... in the first part of my pregnancy, I was injecting Oxys, dilluadid, morphine, and smoking heroin, when I couldn't find or afford pills...... when I figured out I was pregnant,,,, I went to see a "backwards" dr. that everyone talked about, and got on 140mg/methadone a day...... I did okay, I'd say.... I did the BEST I COULD for the time I was in...
I didn't use anything else, but I would "run short" once in awhile, and go into w/d.
Then,,, I started going to the dr. finally, about five months along. (hadn't been before that)
She suggested I go OFF the methadone, and gave me double strength percocets.... first 8 /day then 6/day, then 4.
I "stuck" to that four/day the last two months... I really tried to anyway.
but still ran out... I was STILL working construction... No insurance, no maternity leave in construction... LOL

anyways,,,
heartbeat/stats for "baby" went way down all of a sudden at aprox. 34 weeks along.
they scheduled the surgery for the coming monday,,,
it was a friday. they told me to take "notes" of each time I felt the baby move, and make sure he moved at least every hour to 90 mins... If he went 90 mins w/o moving,, I had to go to the ER....
I somehow made it thru the weekend,
and SOMEHOW Could "quit" the percs for HIM,,,,
or maybe cuz I knew I'd have IV morphine, first thing monday morning... who knows.

Anyways,
for 18 LONG LONG MONTHS,,, this kid ONLY slept two hours at a time.. YES a year and a half old... TWO HOURS AT A TIME....
he's also "presumed" ADHD,,,, I am too, so that doesn't mean much to me..
but he took a long time to gain weight, only 5 pds at birth,,, dropped below five before we left hospital.
And,,, he's in special eduacation, he's "developmentally delayed" he didn't talk til after he was two.
think I've got some guilt???
Looking back, even IF he would've been the SMALL percentage to suffer w/d from suboxone,, I'd have MUCH RATHER took my chances with THAT then what I did.
but when I was pregnant w/him(2008 ),, I hadn't even heard of suboxone, yet.

so,,,, I don't or haven't YET heard anything like this about suboxone/buprenorphine mammas.....
my suboxone dr. actually used to be an OBGYN,,, when he first entered the "work force" after med school
he says he's assisted at LEAST eight births,
of his patients ON SUBOXONE,,
and only ONE of those 8 has had ANY w/d symptoms... and he thinks the 'mom' was doing more than take sub....
honestly,,, his words exactly....
Don't be so hard on yourself.
you can ONLY do your BEST...... and your doing that... so don't feel bad...
it's MUCH BETTER THAN THE ALTERNATIVE....

okay,
here's the article.....

Withdrawal in newborns: Lay off the guilt trip!!

by J T Junig on 2010/02/01

I will share some thoughts that I left at a discussion at a ‘linked in’ group about addiction. I was responding to someone who was equating addiction and physical dependence in a baby born to an opiate-addicted mother. My feeling is that such women are given way too much of an attitude by the nurses and others who care for them, and that was the motivation behind my response. Read on:

There are many differences between physiological dependence and addiction to substances. For example, people who take effexor are dependent– and will have significant discontinuation-emergent side effects– but they are not ‘addicted’, which consists of a mental obsession for a substance. The same is true of beta-blockes, in that discontinuation results in rebound hypertension, but there is no craving for propranololol when it is stopped abruptly.

We have no idea of the ‘cravings’ experienced by a newborn, but I cannot imagine a newborn having the cortical connections required to experience anything akin to the ‘cravings’ experienced by opiate addicts, which consist of memories of using and positive reinforcement of behavior—things that are NOT part of the experience ‘in utero’.
It is also important to realize that the withdrawal experienced by addicts consists of little actual ‘pain’ (I’ve been there—I know). Addicts talk about this subject often, as in ‘why do we hate withdrawal so much?’ It is not physical pain, but rather the discomfort of involuntary movements of the limbs , depression, and very severe shame and guilt. The NORMAL newborn already HAS such involuntary movements as the result of incomplete myelination of spinal nerve tracts and immature basal ganglia and cerebellar function in the brain. And the worst part of withdrawal—the shame and guilt and hopelessness—are not experienced in the same degree in a baby who has no understanding of the stigma of addiction!

Finally, if we look at the ‘misery’ experienced by a newborn, we should compare it to the misery experienced by being a newborn in general. I doubt it feels good to have one’s head squeezed so hard that it changes shape—yet nobody gets real excited about THAT discomfort—at least not from the baby’s perspective! I also doubt it feels good to have one’s head squeezed by a pair of forceps, and then be pulled by the head through the birth canal! Many hospitals still do circumcisions without local, instead just tying down the limbs and cutting. Babies having surgery for pyloric stenosis are often intubated ‘awake’, as the standard of care– which anyone who understands intubation knows is not a pleasant experience. And up until a couple decades ago—i.e. the 1980s (!), babies had surgery on the heart, including splitting open the sternum or breaking ribs, with a paralytic agent only, as the belief was that a baby with a heart defect wouldn’t tolerate narcotics or anesthetic. I don’t like making a baby experience the heightened autonomic activity that can be associated with abstinence syndrome, but compared to other elements of the birth experience, I know which I would choose!

My points are twofold, and are not intended to encourage more births of physiogically-dependent babies. But everyone in the field should be aware of the very clear difference between physiological dependence and addiction, as the difference is a basic principle that is not a matter of opinion—but rather the need to get one’s definitions right. Second, the cycle of addiction and shame has been well established, and there is already plenty of shame inside of most addicted mothers. If there are ten babies screaming loudly, only the whimper from the ‘addict baby’ elicits the ‘tsk tsk’ of the nurses and breast feeding consultants. My first child was born to a healthy mom years before my own opiate dependence, and he never took to breast feeding; he his mother been an addict, his trouble surely would have been blamed on ‘addiction’ or ‘withdrawal’. Unfortunately even medical people see what they want to see—and sometimes that view needs to be checked for bias due to undeserved stigma—for EVERYONE’S good, baby included
Read more at http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... dliXES8.99

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amber - OMG... I am so glad that you shared your experience with me... It definantly puts my situation into prespective... I too have also been told by my sub doc that I would have a problem if I was to use "other things" on top of suboxone... He was an ER doctor before he became a Sub Doc... So he has seen it all... As with my Fiance... He supports me with my situation with Subs and will keep it on the DL... I just pray I don't have to watch my little one suffer because of me... Also the fact that the hospital that I am giving birth in does not have a NICU... They have to helliport people to Lexington... Oh another thing is I never got switched... I was told by my doctor's It was not necessary... From what I have seen, women do not go through withdrawls from naloxen when they switch to subutex... Now the next thing is having my son born... They said this Monday... I just want to enjoy this experience, and not continue feeling GUILTY... Thank you all for you kind responses, and look forward to more words of encouragement! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's how this hospital here, is too.
(no NICU, they don't even have a "nursery" they just have these lil carts the babies are on, and wheel them around. they 'wheel' them to the nurse's station to give you a 'break')

"rural" doesn't do it justice..... LOL

I think everything is going to be just FINE..... it could ALWAYS be worse ya know???

that's really good that your fiance' supports you.... Very important.

Try NOT to worry, I know, much easier said than done... but it's not good for either of you.
It'll all be over soon, and then you'll be so exhausted, you won't have time for any more worrying!!!
So, take lots of naps, and pamper yourself... cuz that's something your not going to have TIME for ,
for a while.

and good luck,,,,,, wish all three of you the best,,,,, I really do :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hoping all is well! I think you said you were scheduled to have your baby this past Monday? If so, I hope you had an easy delivery and healthy little one. I'm sure you're pretty busy at the moment, but I do hope you come back and let us know how it all went. Congratulations!