I tried before and could not do it.
My doc gave me my final script .
I'm to taper as follows:
2mg X 2 weeks
1.5 mg x 2 weeks
.5mg x 2 weeks
Done

That puts me about my due date .
I am nervous about the baby more than anything .
Who has come off in 3rd trimester?
I am at 2mg now and will taper next week as above.
I am terrified but I want to be clean when baby is born and so does the doc.
She is not for keeping women on full term.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 pm 

Hi WW,

I'm not the one to advise you about Sub and pregnancies but I have read that it is not good for the baby if you go through withdrawals. Can't say if it's true or not, just that I've read it here in the forum.

Hopefully some other women will give you some support and better responses than me. I didn't want your post to go w/o an answer.

Welcome to the forum!

rule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my opinion, and from every bit of info I can gather about sub use and discontinuance during pregnancy, I can't believe that it is very good for mom or baby to taper off suboxone before one feels ready to do so. The taper schedule you've listed seems quite fast and aggressive. Withdrwawal sickness usually brings about a lack of proper sleep and nutrition and dehydration due to vomiting and or diarrhea, along with a general state of anxiety that aren't good for baby and COULD potentially cause premature delivery,low birth weight, or placental abruption in severe cases, not to mention relapse to more dangerous illicit opiates. If you've tried this approach before unsuccessfully, and have concerns about relapse,or risks to you or your baby, it's best to speak to your Dr, and perhaps ask to remain in treatment until after delivery, or as long as you feel you need it.
However if your doctor is insistent that you taper off, and you're unable to procure another provider, try your best to keep hydrated and perhaps use meal replacement drinks, if you find you've got no appetite, to maintain adequate nourishment for you and your baby, and ask about which comfort meds are safe to take while pregnant.
On buprenorphine, there's about a fifty percent chance of NAS, which if happens and is severe enough to warrant treatment with full agonists, will keep baby comfortable, and can be tapered within a short time, causing no lasting or negative effects in baby's development. It is safer for baby to go through wd outside of the womb where she/he can be treatedrather than in utero. It should also be noted that NAS is generally considered less severe in babies whose mothers took buprenorphine during pregnancy, and it's not uncommon for babies to go home within a couple of days with the mother. Dr. Junig had said that breastfeeding can help wean the infant due to the small amounts of bupe found in breastmilk, not to mention the comfort and calming effect that skin to skin contact can have on the infant.

I'd encourage you to read as much as possibleabout the subject so that you have the proper information when going to deliver to see that your baby is properly cared for no matter what. Sometimes biased medical staff who aren't versed in opiate dependency in newborns can interpret every move, sneeze or whimper by baby, as withdrawal and improperly treat your baby when agonist treatment isn't called for, and could be more likely to be unpleasant toward you, unfortunately. :( So, you'll be much better off if you go in armed with the right information to receive the best possible care for you and your little one. Good luck no matter what you decide to do. And please keep us posted. And do try to remember that if you are able to remain on buprenorphine during your pregnancy, that you're doing the right thing by your baby and yourself by treating your addiction. Head up!

For some excellent information about this topic please also visit, http://www.janabursonsblog.wordpress.com, and using the search feature, type in the words, pregnancy and buprenorphine. It will take you to many articles written by this Dr. Burson, who is an expert in the field of medication assisted treatment of opioid addiction, and is passionate about her work with addicted patients especially with pregnant women.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks guys .
I wanted to stay on but the docs and I just agreed to be tapered off before birth to avoid any wd or nicu. I'll update how it goes !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, please keep us posted. I was just wondering about you earlier today, in fact, and hoping you're doing well. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post (it helps to get stuff out) about them here, and as always notify your doctor if you feel especially tough, or close to relapse or anything feels off, so he/she can treat you appropriately and make you comfortable. I'll be pulling for ya! Good luck to you and your little one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wonder if you can't do smaller decreases with shorter time periods in between them. That might be more comfortable. So 1 week at 2mg, 1 week at 1.5, 1 week at 1mg, 1 week at .75mg, 1 week at .5mg, 1 week at .25mg then off. That takes you to 38 weeks and gives you a little more wiggle room.

If you unsure about how to get smaller doses, look into the liquid method mentioned all over this site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's hard . I'm at 2 still. I'm trying to do one but the lack of energy is killing me. My goal is to get to 1mh by the end of the week.