It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's almost time for your delivery! I do not think you should feel like a failure. Whether you are on 1mg or 2mg probably will not make any difference for your precious baby. I had a baby on 8mg and a baby on 6mg and there was no difference in their outcomes. I remember feeling like I wanted to get down to the lowest dose and those particular dosages was what worked for me.

I know the feeling of anticipation, anxiety, fear, wishing it was over... and it will be over soon. You'll have your baby in your arms and this will all be behind you. Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Oh I hope everything will be OK. Either way we're not likely to see the new mother here for quite some time, but for other Sub patients that feeli guilty for being on maintenance during pregnancy there might be some advice...

Don't feel guilty. Being on meds is not child abuse, neither neglect. You have a condition and you treat it, that's all there is to it. People on blood-pressure meds, insulin, hard-medicine etc. give birth every day. Besides, some unfortunate mothers with scary genetic conditions like Huntington's risk passing it on to their kids like 50% of the time, and they still chose to have children. Babies are always stressed and in a lot of pain when they're born. I'm not sure withdrawal symptoms even register on top of everything the poor little thing goes through during labor. And yeah, there was this study... (don't freak out, no quotes this time :)) anyway what they've determined is 1) going through withdrawals during pregnancy is WAY more dangerous for the fetus than ingesting mother's Buprenorphine, and 2) about half of all buprenorphine-dependent newborns don't have any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.

Social issues is another thing. I'm lucky I live in WA state, and I noticed that here ER docs get somewhat surprised when a patient comes in and he or she does NOT have some sort of substance abuse or dependency problem :) I might be exaggerating a bit, but the attitude toward maintenance patients here is very relaxed, friendly and understanding. Nonetheless, it cannot hurt to do some things in advance, like, maybe, contact social services BEFORE the baby is born and establish some sort of "preventive" compliance monitoring or counseling, it's also a good idea to find an OBGYN that specialized in buprenorphine patients, like some of the posters did. Showing initiative and being overly-responsible might make a good impression on social workers and medical staff, and maybe they'll call their dogs off and won't guilt-trip you into feeling like a criminal every time your baby has a tummyache.

The point is - not to get too stressed over that thing. Babies pick up on that, you know. I think it's better for a baby to have moderate physical symptoms that are taken care of by skilled professionals, and a healthy happy mother. Besides, most of "new mother's guilt" is not rational, its nature's way of making us take all the necessary precautions during first months after giving birth when the baby is most vulnerable. Did you know that new mothers' IQs drop by, like, 10% during her third trimester and about 6 months after labor? :) And of course that's when our hormones are going batsh!t crazy as well. that's nature's defense mechanism, as well - making us females more "animal" and less "human", so we use our instincts instead of stressing out and overthinking every single thing that floats thru our heads. All baby needs is a nurturing, loving mother in good health, either she's on maintenance or not. Nature will take care of the rest by the best of its ability, and I think 4-odd billion years of evolution speak volumes for that ability.

I hope Justagirlxx checks in though. I really hope things went well for her and her child.

Best of luck to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for your kind words :) Sorry I didnt check back into this thread but I made a new thread on here of my birth story. Everything went great with the labor/delivery the doctors and nurses were absolutely wonderful. The baby was born with withdrawals and the first 2 weeks of his life were aboslute hell even though the w/ds were considered mild. Anyways he is perfectly healthy and normal now and just an absolute miracle, he's 5 weeks old and everything is going great. Thanks for all your support here and to all the women who are pregnant don't worry too much and dont feel guilty about taking the sub.. it has to be done and just take it day by day. xx

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Stop beating yourself up
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Justagirlxx wrote:
Doc talked about how withdrawls aren't the same in newborns because they cant experience "cravings" like we do. He never said that they can't experience all the physical symptoms of w/ds, the same as us, just minus the guilt, cravings, and shame of w/ds. To me the thing I am most worried about is the pain and sickness my baby will go through if he experiences withdrawls.

I don't recommend long term maintence on subs to anyone I call a friend because I know how tough it is to try to get off of it. Also sadly most sub doctors dont give accurate information. ie. my friends and I were all told we could stop the sub at anytime with an easy taper and would barely experience any w/ds, if any. I think I would have been much better off if given accurate information about what its like to taper after long term usuage. Knowing what I know now about it, I never would have chosen this route, the long term maintainence route.

Seriously, stop beating yourself up.. I can not relate to the whole pregnancy issue, but I can relate to beating myself up over long term maintenance with Suboxone, but I have gotten much better. I am an addict; WE are addicts. We have a disease and have to manage that disease. A diabetic has to manage their disease with insulin and we have to manage it with something. For us, if we stop taking our medicine, we could relapse, and we would feel WD. If a diabetic stopped taking their medicine, they would very much likely die...It's no different....Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes I think to myself, "Am I really going to be 80 years old sitting on my couch with a sub under my tongue?"...I don't know, but if I do, that's ok. The alternative is far worse. Just remember what your life was like before. Who knows, maybe you are one of those people who never needed to be on Suboxone a long time..but many of us are and have battled with the same guilt....For me, I was a chronic methadone user, and while yes, I still rely on something every day, I now look at it differently. I am an addict, and I am managing my disease. Sorry for the blabber.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and have been on suboxone for 1 year. I start at 8 mg a day and am now down to .5 a day sometimes .75 a day. (not 4mg-.5mg) (I have the new strips not the pill so I am able to break it down a lot easier. I get 8mg strip then cut in quarters, then cut the quarters in half then the halfs in half again and so on.). I've been taking this amount for a week, I'm down from 1mg a week before (and feel fine). I do not want to stay on this during my pregnancy. My question is should I keep taking the .5 and continue to ween until after the 1st trimester then stop. Or should I just try and get off when I get down to .25. I am concerned about withdrawels affecting my unborn child especially in the first trimester. I will assume that if I continue to take .5 and get down to .25 or less every couple of days the withdrawels won't be so bad. Also if they do turn out to be bad is there anything I can take to help with the withdrawels while I'm pregnant. If anyone can help me figure out what to do here I would really appreciate it. (I am going to stop taking these at some point during my pregnancy just need to know when would be the safest for my unborn child)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think you really need to ask a doctor this question. I don't think any of us are qualified to answer.

-Jack Kornfield