It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there!! I've been searching various Suboxone Forum sites for a couple days now--wanting to choose the most helpful one to post my concerns on--and this one is BY FAR the most open, informative, and understanding site that I've come across. So firstly congrats on that, many women need helpful answers from other women who have had similar experiences and it does not help when every other answer on yahoo.com is judgmental and basically uneducated.

On to my question. I have seen a few posts similar to my story but thought I'd post my own to get more personal to my situation responses....

I'm almost 33 weeks Pregnant with my little boy whom I believe saved my life. I was on a downward spiral with my addiction to heroin and methamphetimines and if he hadn't come along and blessed my life, I'm not sure where I'd be today. I am taking the drug SUBUTEX to keep myself off heroin--however I'm not getting it prescribed legally to me. This terrifies me as far as the birth goes--drug tests, my baby withdrawing, CPS getting involved, etc.

Is there a way for me to SAFELY taper down before his due date (beginning of April) and still have him come out testing negative both literally and as far as the NAS testing goes?? I seriously cannot sleep and feel that discussing this with my OBGYN wouldn't be kosher at this point since I am so far along, haven't told him yet, AND most importantly aren't prescribed the meds legally!!! I would really appreciate ANY feedback from women who have either been here or know someone that has--stories of hope and even the harsh nitty gritty truth of what I'm facing. I probably do 4mg or less a day (typically less as they're not readily available all the time for me)

thank you ALL so much in advance for any input you may have--and thanks to you ALL for having a place people can come, ask questions, and feel safe!!!!

-anxiousmomma2be

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First of all, congrats!!!! I understand how you got in this situation and you should be proud of yourself wanting more for you and your son. A lot of women would get lost in the guilt and continue to use. From my own recent start to taper I honestly don't think you have enough time for a safe taper. I know it sucks, but I think it's time to come clean to your doctor. Let the professionals come up with a safe plan for you and your baby. If it was just you I might have different advice because I hate doctors knowing my business and I like to do things my way. But then my way got me in a bad place like the rest of us addicts. There's no way to really know what would happen at the hospital. But what if you needed a c section? If there was no time for an epidural the anesthesia may not even work on you. Im not trying to scare you but you need to be prepared. And the best way in my opinion is to go ahead and make it known so you get the best care you and your son need. I think Dr J posted on this in talk zone not long ago. I believe I read that you can taper safe even after the baby is born. With your breast milk you could even safely taper the baby with fewer side effects.

I wish the best of luck to you. And pray the medical professionals you deal with are understanding and ease your concern.~ Jen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with jwhite-- in part because you don't have much time; in part because you are entering the part of pregnancy when many women become physically exhausted WITHOUT opioid withdrawal... but mainly because when you are tapering buprenorphine (the molecule in 'Subutex', which I don't believe is made as a brand medication any longer), the drug loses all of the features that make it so useful for treatment, and instead becomes just another opioid. If you are like most of us, you tried to 'taper' off pain pills or heroin many times, without success... and tapering off buprenorphine is pretty much the same. We all made promises to ourselves, over and over.... but each day, some other part of our brain kicked in and convinced us that we should use 'just one more day.'

Some people on this forum have tapered off buprenorphine, or are in the process of tapering off. I strongly recommend that you don't try that, though, until you've been on buprenorphine for a LONG time. How long? Over a year. Maybe a couple or few years. Withdrawal doesn't get worse, the longer you take buprenorphine; the severity is set by tolerance level, which doesn't change beyond where it is after a few weeks. The people who successfully stop buprenorphine, from what I've seen, are people who have been on buprenorphine long enough to create a new, better life, where they can't even imagine going back to the old life. After short periods of time-- say up to a year-- it is just too easy for that old way of thinking to come right back again.

The CPS issue is a valid concern, especially since you don't have a doc for the buprenorphine. But in my area, their goal would be to find you a doc, and get you stabilized. It would be much worse to go back to the desperate days of using, either before or after the baby is born; you are more likely to end up with criminal charges from using heroin, than from 'treating' yourself using buprenorphine.

Hang in there, and take it day by day. My advice isn't the only opinion. But I think that if you really want to stop buprenorphine, you may want to turn to the step, or some other type of support-- something to help you keep your focus through the bad days. Check out the last few posts on my blog, where I explain why 'shame' and 'guilt' should be left behind, so that you can focus on doing the next right thing. Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm going to try a taper... I'll let you all know how it goes!! I'm just so scared to lose my little guy to CPS it would ruin me!!!!