It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Ok so first I will give you the basics. I have been on suboxone for almost 2 years. My Dr. started me out on 2 8mg pills a day, when I took that amount I got deathly sick. He told me to continue the 2 8mg pills, the sickness would go away. I did NOT continue that amount. The most I have taken in 1 day the whole 2 years is 1/4 which is 2mgs. I have done wonderful on that amount. I talked to my Dr. about getting pregnant because I want just 1 more baby to complete our family of 4 right now. He was not encouraging of it at all. Everytime I tried to tell him how little I take he did not believe me & he refused to lower the amount of pills the entire time I went to him. After going for a year & half to the Dr. with no end in sight, I had put back quite a few & then just stopped going. 14 a week for a year & a half with me only taking 2 max a week I had enough to last awhile. Well I found out I'm pregnant 5 weeks ago, I'm now 10weeks. I have tapered myself down to take .25-.5 a day. I have my first OB appointment in 25 days. I do not want her to know I am on this. I will have to have yet another C-section & I'm worried about the pain management afterwards. I do have all faith that I can take the prescribed pain meds correctly & want no more afterwards. I do not want to be on any medication for the rest of my life. I'm 5'3, about 110-115 pounds, fast metabolism, & of course 10 weeks pregnant, So I'm wondering will it still take 7-10 days for me to be able to pass a pee test? Will I withdrawal as bad as others? Will it even show on a test where it's such a small dose? I feel like the amount I'm taking isn't even doing anything other than mentally. It's like when I take my meds my brain says "ok we are fine no worries" but if not then my brain says "ok freak out! she didn't take it! we don't know how to function". Please help! I've looked everywhere & can't find anything about this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome here! Congrats on the new little one you've started which will complete your family!! So happy for you.

Have you found and read Dr J's pregnancy threads and posts? Check out the Talk Zone on the top menu of this site. It will take you to Dr J's other site and well worth going there. Also, on this site, the one you're reading now, you can use the search function at the top of this site. Put in suboxdoc as author and pregnancy as key word and excellent posts come up. Be sure and check out his comments on fetal effects of abruptly stopping bup.

How long since you filled your last bup script? State Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMP's) have a 1 yr look back. When folks go to a MD appt, often/usually their Dr reviews the State's PDMP for patients prescription history. docm2's recent post w link tells the story of a guy whose urine test did NOT test for bup yet the PDMP showed bup scripts and the guy was outed this way.

You ask an interesting question. I think it will take a Dr. here to answer if your low bup dose will show on a blood or urine test. I looked up the cutoff values for each, but, a cutoff value (below = none detected and above = positive) does not tell how low of a bup dose it will catch as a positive test. One lab did discuss studies showing total buprenorphine and norbuprenorphine concentrations in urine, ranging from 0.5 - 2936 ng/mL and 4.0 - 4462 ng/mL respectively, have been reported following daily doses between 0.2 - 24 mg. They did not describe the urine test type or why they were measuring these doses.

You might try ordering several bup test sticks from http://www.homehealthtesting.com/suboxo ... p-107.html and have them shipped to you to see if you show positive.

Wishing you my best and congrats again! Pelican

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If I could offer my advice I would suggest that you stay on that low dose until like the beginning of your third trimester. Low doses of subutex are much better than the possibility of relapse and what would come with that. Especially if mentally you still think you need it (which isn't a bad thing btw). When you come off in your third trimester it will be not to bad at all you've already done most of the hard work.

I just recently had a baby on a low dose after tapering, look for my thread if your interested. I also had a cesarian and was taking .75mg and my pain was well controlled. the hospital staff knew about the subutex and I don't feel that I was treated poorly as result, every staff member experience was great.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Any updates?
I've heard it's best to reduce in the second trimester only if you have to. Better not to come off while pregnant though as it's not good for the baby.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Does the OB for sure pee test? Mine doesn't...they only check for bladder infections. Just don't want you to worry about it if they don't for sure test for it...also, many drug tests don't include buprenorphine. My work drug test didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Why do you not want your OB to know you take Suboxone? If you told them, then you wouldn't have to worry about it at all-pain control, secrecy. You never know, you might need to up your dose later on in your pregnancy, what will you do then if you never told your OB. You would be really worried about that. Do you have a strong recovery support system? I don't want to sound like debbie downer here but it will take a lot more than faith to not want to take more opioids. Sorry for all of the questions!