It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking subutex illegally through my entire pregnancy. I now take 2 mgs a day but I am worried that when I deliver they will drug test my baby and children and youth will take my baby away. Also I would like to know if they test for that after birth. I live in Pennsylvania. Also how will they know If my baby is experiencing withdraws from the subutex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Every state, hospital, doctor is different.
but it wont come up on just a 'standard' drug screen. It HAS to be a test for buprenorphine.

so, I dont know. have you thought about what you'll do/say IF they do infact find out???
Id start coming up with something.

heres a link to dr. J's blog about buprenorphine/pregnancy
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/withdrawal- ... uilt-trip/ (this is about withdrawl, one below is general)

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/buprenorphi ... pregnancy/

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/buprenorphi ... d-addicts/

hope this helps
good luck

oh and you can find lots of pregnancy stories, if you havent already in the (duh) pregnancy section!!!!! :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Subs aren't typically something that is on a standard drug test. Also, there would be no reason to test you for drugs unless there was a suspicion of use. So I wouldn't worry in that sense. As far as the baby, I would be concerned regarding withdrawls. I don't think you mentioned how long you have been on subs but they are a POWER opiate that will cause withdrawls the same if not more than other opiates like vicoden, percocet etc. So I would say something to the health care workers for the sake of your baby. No body wants their baby to go through pain and although it may not be a pain that you can "see", it's still a pain that the baby will go through. They can give the baby a liquid form of opiate and taper baby off so there are no withdrawls symptoms. The most important thing is the safety of your child and you need to do whatever is necessary to see that he/she is ok. Say something please.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oxy-Ed wrote:
Subs aren't typically something that is on a standard drug test. Also, there would be no reason to test you for drugs unless there was a suspicion of use. So I wouldn't worry in that sense. As far as the baby, I would be concerned regarding withdrawls. I don't think you mentioned how long you have been on subs but they are a POWER opiate that will cause withdrawls the same if not more than other opiates like vicoden, percocet etc. So I would say something to the health care workers for the sake of your baby. No body wants their baby to go through pain and although it may not be a pain that you can "see", it's still a pain that the baby will go through. They can give the baby a liquid form of opiate and taper baby off so there are no withdrawls symptoms. The most important thing is the safety of your child and you need to do whatever is necessary to see that he/she is ok. Say something please.

This isn't completely accurate.
According to Dr. Junig's blog (s) and articles, there are lots of women who give birth to babies that have been on suboxone/subutes thier entire pregnancy, and thier babies experience NO WITHDRAWLS.
Im not saying it's a wonderful idea that nobody knows your
on suboxone, when you have a baby. What I am saying, is if you read here.........................

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/withdrawal- ... uilt-trip/ (article copied below in blue)
You'll see some of the (proven) information discussed
Also, just from personal experience, my doctor was an OBGYN, before he started the suboxone and the practice he does now. He told me that he's had FOUR women in the last year, give birth at our local hospital, ALL four were on suboxone,
and he did NOT tell the nurses/staff/ob that his patient was on suboxone,,,, but just acted as a concerned primary provider. He watched over the babies/mothers and he said only ONE outta the four, experienced (actual) w/d symptoms.
He still did not allow morphine to be given.
Anyways, please read the article.
lets not scare the crap outta pregnant women. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Im not saying there aren't risks, but it sure beats the hell outta active addiction.

Suboxone Talk Zone: A Suboxone Blog

Questions and Answers about Opioid Dependence and Buprenorphine
Withdrawal in newborns: Lay off the guilt trip!!

by SuboxDoc on February 1, 2010

I will share some thoughts that I left at a discussion at a ‘linked in’ group about addiction. I was responding to someone who was equating addiction and physical dependence in a baby born to an opiate-addicted mother. My feeling is that such women are given way too much of an attitude by the nurses and others who care for them, and that was the motivation behind my response. Read on:

There are many differences between physiological dependence and addiction to substances. For example, people who take effexor are dependent– and will have significant discontinuation-emergent side effects– but they are not ‘addicted’, which consists of a mental obsession for a substance. The same is true of beta-blockes, in that discontinuation results in rebound hypertension, but there is no craving for propranololol when it is stopped abruptly.

We have no idea of the ‘cravings’ experienced by a newborn, but I cannot imagine a newborn having the cortical connections required to experience anything akin to the ‘cravings’ experienced by opiate addicts, which consist of memories of using and positive reinforcement of behavior—things that are NOT part of the experience ‘in utero’.

It is also important to realize that the withdrawal experienced by addicts consists of little actual ‘pain’ (I’ve been there—I know). Addicts talk about this subject often, as in ‘why do we hate withdrawal so much?’ It is not physical pain, but rather the discomfort of involuntary movements of the limbs , depression, and very severe shame and guilt. The NORMAL newborn already HAS such involuntary movements as the result of incomplete myelination of spinal nerve tracts and immature basal ganglia and cerebellar function in the brain. And the worst part of withdrawal—the shame and guilt and hopelessness—are not experienced in the same degree in a baby who has no understanding of the stigma of addiction!

Finally, if we look at the ‘misery’ experienced by a newborn, we should compare it to the misery experienced by being a newborn in general. I doubt it feels good to have one’s head squeezed so hard that it changes shape—yet nobody gets real excited about THAT discomfort—at least not from the baby’s perspective! I also doubt it feels good to have one’s head squeezed by a pair of forceps, and then be pulled by the head through the birth canal! Many hospitals still do circumcisions without local, instead just tying down the limbs and cutting. Babies having surgery for pyloric stenosis are often intubated ‘awake’, as the standard of care– which anyone who understands intubation knows is not a pleasant experience. And up until a couple decades ago—i.e. the 1980s (!), babies had surgery on the heart, including splitting open the sternum or breaking ribs, with a paralytic agent only, as the belief was that a baby with a heart defect wouldn’t tolerate narcotics or anesthetic. I don’t like making a baby experience the heightened autonomic activity that can be associated with abstinence syndrome, but compared to other elements of the birth experience, I know which I would choose!

My points are twofold, and are not intended to encourage more births of physiogically-dependent babies. But everyone in the field should be aware of the very clear difference between physiological dependence and addiction, as the difference is a basic principle that is not a matter of opinion—but rather the need to get one’s definitions right. Second, the cycle of addiction and shame has been well established, and there is already plenty of shame inside of most addicted mothers. If there are ten babies screaming loudly, only the whimper from the ‘addict baby’ elicits the ‘tsk tsk’ of the nurses and breast feeding consultants. My first child was born to a healthy mom years before my own opiate dependence, and he never took to breast feeding; he his mother been an addict, his trouble surely would have been blamed on ‘addiction’ or ‘withdrawal’. Unfortunately even medical people see what they want to see—and sometimes that view needs to be checked for bias due to undeserved stigma—for EVERYONE’S good, baby included.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:38 pm 

Amber, that was an awesome response because it provided a lot of good information for this mom.

Bluedog, I'm thinking that you've already had your baby by now. If you haven't, I'm so sorry! I know what it's like to be overdue! lol I'm hoping that you'll come back to this thread and let us know what happened with you and your new baby. Did your baby experience any noticeable withdrawal symptoms? Did the hospital staff become aware?

My wish for you is that you have a happy, healthy baby, and that you are looking into finding a suboxone doc to help you with a treatment plan. Have you tried to find a sub doc before? Do you have insurance that will cover your doctor visits and prescriptions?

I have no doubt that you are a concerned mom, and I hope that your future with your baby is bright and hopeful. :)

Amy