It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 16 weeks pregnant
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with our 5th child. I have been on suboxone for 3 years, doses varied between 8mg and now down to 2 or less. I have recently moved from Florida where addiction doctors are plenty, now I sit in Alabama without a new sub doc. I had planned on quitting before becoming pregnant and moving. I made my last prescription last though I will be out this coming week. I was prescribed clonidine as a back up by my doctor before moving so I do atleast have that already filled and waiting. I wanted to come off of this for the past year and thought moving to another state and away from triggers would be the best time, not knowing I would become pregnant. I haven't even found an ob/gyn this pregnancy yet for a couple of reasons. First, I don't have insurance yet and I am currently trying to figure out which one will be best. Second, I am mortified of being labelled by an ob/gyn that doesn't know how far I have come. Thirdly, I have a stupid fear of needles and have been afraid of all the pokes to come from being pregnant. I have had an ultrasound which showed the baby is doing good, healthy heartbeat, etc. I have tried in the past to get lower than 1mg but I seem to feel just as bad at that dose as I would if I didn't take any. I am now in my 2nd trimester and from what I have found via the internet, if I am going to jump the 2nd trimester is the best time to do so, not the 1st or 3rd. I also really need to start prenatal care and I know I should have already. Anyway, I will be out of suboxone in the next 3 days. I have jumped off sub before at 4mgs and it sucked but wasn't terrible, but I was only on it a few months that time. I think my anxiety about withdrawals is what's scaring me most. I could really use some stories of mom's who jumped while pregnant. I haven't had the desire to use pills in years and I am so ready to just jump and get off. As I said I have clonidine to help with the withdrawals but I only plan to use those for a week tops. Has anyone else used clonidine to get off subs either while pregnant or not? I am a nervous wreck and my heart starts pounding at the thought of withdrawals. Ugh.

Post subject: Re: 16 weeks pregnant
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Wittlesniper, First off, welcome to the forum, 2nd, I am a guy and don't have a clue about being pregnant! lol
It's funny, but I was just reading an article in the local news about babies being born to addicted mothers. So I guess I was suppose to relay this info to you. lol
I am not trying to scare you in any way, just bringing you information. Okay?
http://www.wsaz.com/news/ohionews/headl ... 70901.html
This could maybe help you with quitting or at least tell you what the medical field is dealing with. Like I said , this is just more information for you and every one interested in your thread.
The comment section at the bottom of the page has some interesting views on the subject. You can read this while waiting for someone to come along with the info on a taper method to help you. I am sure someone will chime in soon.
Good luck and welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you.
Oh, and congrat on the new baby on the way!
Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply and article. What the article says about babies being born addicted is a major part of why I feel my time is now. But I had already planned on getting off which is why the doctor gave me clonidine prior to moving. This pregnancy has just helped hold me to my plan. Of the countless sites and threads I have read so many women taper down with the plan of getting off before baby is born yet the majority ended up giving birth on Suboxone. If I was still worried about relapse or planned to remain on subs after delivery then I would just stay at a low dose, but I am ready to be done. The thought of a baby with Nas is frightening, so is the thought of trying to care for a newborn while withdrawaling. I already have 4 kids that I am worried about taking care of while withdrawaling. I have a super supportive husband but I am essentially a single mom for 30 days at a time. My husband is an over the road truck driver. He knows my plan is to be off by Tuesday, Wednesday and that's when I will descend into the withdrawal phase. He's made me promise if it gets too uncomfortable or anything that I will call in my remaining strips and go from there. I have 10 left at the pharmacy as backup. As long as I can manage this, I will know if it's too much physically, then I want with every fiber of my body, soul and mind to end this long journey. I think the fear is getting the best of me right now. I am only still on Suboxone out of withdrawal fears. I have overcame the rest of my prior addiction. Now it's time to kick the Suboxone addiction, I no longer need it for anything other than to keep me from being sick.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I hope you can finish what you came to do. Yes the fears of WD's keeps a lot of us onboard. It is very frightening, but if someone puts their mind to it, it can, and will be achieved. It takes a lot of dedication and focus and most of all a plan of attack. The road is not easy or we all could do it.
I hope you can get it done
Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If this is the right time, then go for it. Understand that the standard of care for decades has been to keep pregnant women on methadone, where the incidence of NAS is about 100%. Compared to other experiences of a newborn, NAS is not a big deal (newborns lack myelin on many nerve tracts, causing GI motility problems and spasms that are likely much more uncomfortable than NAS-- not to mention circumcision, awake intubation for surgery, and getting one's head squeezed into a different shape by the birth canal!).

On buprenorphine the incidence of NAS is below 50%-- and it tends to be mild, especially if the mother gets her dose down. Of course the nurses will 'see' NAS symptoms in any infant, if the mother is rumored to use opioids....

The worst thing a pregnant mom can do is use illicit opioids. Those moms who keep their illness treated during pregnancy have nothing to be ashamed of.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, I am fully aware of methadone treatment, I was on that stuff for a while and would never start methadone while pregnant. I wouldn't start it again regardless. I have read about the Nas being less severe when it does happen with mothers on Suboxone. Luckily I moved to a new state and away from the one person who would be my trigger. I feel that since I was going to quit before becoming pregnant that now that I made it out of the first trimester, it's kinda now or never during this pregnancy. My decision to get off isn't because I am pregnant. Like I said earlier, if I didn't believe THIS is my time I would definitely remain on it. Suboxone was my life saver and for that I will always recommend it to other addicts. My biggest concern for what is to come is being physically and mentally ill, physically for a week or so and mentally who knows. That compounded with having to be the sole caretaker of my 4 kids that week+, making meals, cleaning, etc is the scariest thought to me. I know from previous experience that this will be day by day, sometimes minute by minute. If I become concerned for the growing baby or concern about my wellbeing then I am willing to stay on Suboxone for the pregnancy. I do have back up at the pharmacy but I do not want it in my immediate grasp when quitting. I don't want the added pressure of "here I am, I can make all of the discomfort stop just pop me under your tongue." I have great willpower, just not when I am sick and the remedy is right there. I am not ashamed of Suboxone at all. I simply don't want to deal with the judgements from doctors or nurses once I am off and they won't need to know my history. If that makes any sense?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:59 pm 

I have to add that these are a couple of the reasons (what Dr. Junig said about discomfort for newborns) that I chose to leave my son with an intact penis. I couldn't imagine that in his first couple of days of his life I would let someone cut off part of his body for an almost purely aesthetic reason. The history of circumcision is very interesting, but I'm sure that what drives it today are the profits of an "easy" surgery plus the hospital's ability to make a profit off the penile tissue to pharmaceutical companies. There is no more reason to cut the adhered foreskin off a male baby than there is to pull off and cut off the skin protecting the clitoris on a female baby.

I was never more sure of my decision 17 years ago when, after my stepson's child was circumcised despite my pleas to my daughter-in-law before hand, I had to change his diaper after a couple days home from the hospital. Poor Kenneth screamed in pain as I had to clean up the poo that had gotten everywhere. He's screaming I said! That's normal, they said. Give him tylenol, I begged. The doctor said not to, they answered. I was so unnerved that I left right afterward and I later called them and said that I would be happy to change diapers again after Kenneth healed, but not before.

My own father, who was not quite a hippie but nudity was not unusual when I was small, came from a family that was too poor to pay for circumcisions. He was intact and never had a problem with health or hygiene.

I hardly every bring this up, but I think that parents should do more research on this. If you choose to have your son circumcised, you should stay right with him while it's done. Even if anesthesia is used, the shots still hurt and the area doesn't stay numb. Also, infant boys do die from complications from circumcision, but the circumcision is never blamed on the death certificate. That's why it has such a "safe" record.

I had put so much of this stuff and these feelings behind me until my own grandson was cut. I'm still upset over that diaper change and he's 6 months old!

Amy