It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm new to this site and I'm desperate for reassurance that my baby will be ok. Quick back story… I have been on some sort of narcotic thru most of my pregnancy. I have lower back pain and my regular physican prescribes hydros for me knowing I'm pregnant, my OB has also given me a couple small scripts of hydros for pain. Anyways, I was desperate it get off the hydros and started getting subs from a friend of mine. I haven't had any hydros in over a month but ive been on a pretty small dose of subs the last month. I want to be off everything when I go into labor. I'm terrified of what will happen in the hospital! I have 2 other children born at the hospital I'm delivering this one at. Both of the other pregnancies had no complications (I wasn't on meds during those pregnancies) I've read a lot of other women's experiences on here, most of them positive thankfully. I have one suboxone pill left, I'm plan on breaking it up and only taking a few mg's a day till its gone. I really don't want to tell my OB that ive been on subs. He's not very supportive about meds (even though he gave me a script for hydro a couple times). Anyways, I guess my questions is, since I havent been on suboxone a long time I should be able to slowly wean off of it do my baby is born with none of it in her system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i would think that if u got off it in time the baby wouldnt be addicted at all, i know lots of women on these sites have not mentioned they were on the subs and everything was fine, i do know tho that when ur pregnant the drs like to switch from suboxone to subutex, i think mainly because it has no narcan, but ive heard of people still getting suboxone while pregnant, so i doubt it will harm the baby, i think they just like to chose the one with one less drug in it ya kno. but i think ur baby will be fine, if u dont stop them in time for birth id say something, actually i dont know what id do if the dr didnt know, see if u can find a sub dr that is supportive and ask their advice ? sorry i wasnt much of help, i am new in this situation also :( due tomorrow and hoping for a good outcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please tell your doctor!!! I have heard that it is FAR more dangerous to quit suboxone while pregnant than it is for baby to detox. Your doctor should be informed so they can look for signs of withdrawal in your precious baby. I know that it sounds like impossible to tell someone what you've been doing, but know you are doing the right thing for your baby. You can not be reported due to doctor-patient confidentiality.
If you absolutely can NOT tell your doctor- wean as slowly as possible and go to the doctor with ANY odd symptoms.
:(
Good luck, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm 
yo girl, get off dat ass and hit up a dr u really trust. i knocked up a side thing and girl was on all kindas shit. suboxone2, and i aitn sayin no more cuz i dont wanna perswade u into nuffin. but for real, u need to figure somethin out girl. these pharmcy / medicine companies are the last motha fuckas i woudl trust. DRS TOO. cuz i was on suboxone sicne the begginin and both them motha fuckas sayin this shit is easy cheesey lemon squeezy to get off. Dotn trust no lyin sacks of shit. fool me once shame on. ahh fuck it u no the old school fuckin whateva u calls it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mommyof3 and welcome. First of all, congrats on your upcoming new family member. Obviously, the bottom line is it's up to you if you tell your doctor. But consider this, although you don't say how much sub you've been taking, chances are unless it's into the micrograms, you'll have withdrawals. And in the third trimester (where are you in your pregnancy....did you tell us and I just missed it?) is THE most dangerous time for the fetus to go through withdrawals. Do a google search for risks to fetus when quitting opiates during pregnancy. This is where I came up with this information. Usually the best time to stop opiates is in the second trimester IF one absolutely has to (the first there's a risk of miscarriage and the third there's risk of premature birth and stillbirth, if I recall correctly). I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to be honest.

These are reasons why you don't want to being stopping sub while pregnant on your own (without the help of a doctor). But as I said, in the end it's really your decision. And whatever you decide, we will support you in that.

I know you're scared, but think long and hard and perhaps talk to family members that you trust. Good luck and we're behind you. No matter what.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Follow up…
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I wanted to let everyone who responded to my posts know what my experience was at the hospital. First of all my baby girl was born aug30, she was 7.2lbs. My dr wanted to induce my labor last week, so I went in last Wednesday and started induction. Because of my back issues I decided to have an epidural to control my pain, knowing that narcotic meds wouldn't work because of the suboxone. Both of my other pregnancies my labor was natural, no epidural no narcotic pain meds. The epidural was awesome, in fact when the nurse checked my progress I was at a +2, which meant I had gone thru a couple hours on pitocin to progress my labor and other than pressure I had gone thru my whole labor with almost no pain! So they quickly grabbed the dr and after only 8 pushes she was born! I started hysterically crying asking my husband if she was ok, (they put her on me but, only for a min) I laid there while the dr finished and watched the nurse check her out. She was crying but seemed fine otherwise. They finally brought her over and I was totally shocked, she was perfect! I had decided not to tell my dr about the suboxone I had been on unless she was showing any signs of nas,( I had been researching with signs of nas thru my whole pregnancy) anyways she never did show signs. We stay the night and in the morning the pediatrician came into check on her. I mentioned I had been on meds during my pregnancy and I was concerned that she would have it in her system. I told her I had noticed she sneezed a few times, she kinda chuckled a little then explained that all newborns can sneeze, not just ones going they withdrawal... she said a lot of symptoms of nas are also normal symptoms of newborns. She said from her experience that newborns with nas often cry but it's a distinct painful high pitch, and claw at their faces among other symptoms. She checked her out and said that my baby was fine, not goin thru withdrawal. It's been 8 days and she (so far) has been my easiest newborn. She eats well, sleeps great, and she's adorable. I'm so thankful that she's ok, although i know that problems can still come up later in life. How will i know if its from pills or just normal things? I feel horrible that I wasn't able to give up pills completely while I was pregnant. I quit many times but my back would start to bother me really badly and my regular dr would prescribe me a big bottle of hydros and I would start the process all over again. Anyways my experience was a positve one, I plan on trying to get a script of suboxone instead of having to buy them. Regardless suboxone has changed my life, I don't crave hydros or percs at all! So my experience was a positive one, but I've read so many stories of babies that get nas from suboxone or subtex. I apologize if my posts is hard to read read or I'm rambling, I'm posting from my iPhone so my screen is small and I'm crazy tired!!! But extremely happy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Mommyof3~ Congrats on your new lil angel! I just know she is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your experience w/ us. It makes me happy knowing that it was a good one! Best of Luck to you in your recovery!~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats mommyof3 - I'm so glad everything worked out ok for you and your new baby. Sounds like your pediatrician was pretty cool as well. We've heard from other moms on the forum that normal newborn behavior can sometimes look like NAS and that the process for judging NAS is pretty subjective. I think that's why a lot of pregnant Sub patients don't tell their OBGYN or the hospital about their Sub use. It's a shame that we have to worry about that kind of judgement and also about doctors and nurses who aren't educated about Sub. In any case, I'm happy for you that it all worked out ok in the end.

Enjoy your new little one and let us know how things go for you!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

im so happy to hear that ur birth went well and that she was perfect! :) my lil one is 3 weeks as of yesterday and still doing great :) i know how u feel always wondering if the drugs are the reason for things, i know its hard but try not to pput any blame on urself, you did the best thing you could do for her :) anyways lots of blessings being sent ur way for u and the new additon :)