It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hi, I am 25 yrs old I am 24 weeks pregant today and on soboxone, I am on I guess .5 mg because I split a 2mg pill in 4's and have been trying to wean off, I would think that such a small amount wouldnt even matter or would just be in my mind, but when I dont take it I cant sleep and have restless leg syndrome real bad. I have had 60 pills of 2mg that I made last for this long b/c my doc who prescribes suboxone to me wont prescribe me it now that im pregnant and I see a high-risk dr. but he doesnt even know what suboxone is, does anyone have experience with being on suboxone and delivering a baby any advice will help, also since my does is extremely low do you think it will even effect baby? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey I just want to say I am in the same position as you. I have no idea what it will be like when my baby is born and I'm wanting to get off of it completely.

I am 22 weeks and currently on 1.5mgs. I plan on tapering down to .25mgs and then jumping off before the baby is born.

Your doctor is an idiot, is there anyway you can see another doctor? He should know that suboxone withdrawal can cause preterm labor and miscarriage and should never just withhold the drug from a pregnant woman. My doctors are supportive either way, whether I stay on it or I go off they say is really up to me if I want to take the risks of withdrawaling or NAS.

I personally am tapering because I don't think I can deal with my baby withdrawaling. :( If you want to talk you can PM me, I have no one else who really understands what this is like.

My suggestion to you would be to taper off as slowly as possible with the remaining suboxone that you have. You are on such a small dosage that I think you could get off it safely. I am not a doctor though, this is just what I am doing myself & what some doctors have said to me. (they all disagree)

anyways, to answer your question, the suboxone is category c and I just had an ultrasound showing everything is completely normal, my doctor wasnt even worried about its effects on the fetus, just the effects once he is born (can cause NAS, etc) So your baby is fine hun! :)

PM me if you want to talk. Im scared about this too.

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm now 15 wks pregnant and on subutex. I definitely don't plan on stopping the sub, either. This forum has a few stories from women who have carried to term/had babies while on suboxone and there have not been any problems, so poke around and read a bit.

I would also recommend finding a new doctor---it amazes me that your sub doc won't continue to prescribe b/c you are pregnant---it's actually more dangerous to you and to your baby for you to go through withdrawals at this point.

It definitely takes a bit of coordination, but I hope you will find a different doctor who is willing to work with you, and who will also be willing to talk to your ob/gyn and help them understand.

I see a high-risk ob/gyn in addition to my 'normal' ob/gyn and of course, my addictionologist, and all agree that the sub is not going to cause any harm to the baby; no birth defects, etc. The only concern is whether or not the baby goes through NAS (withdrawal) after birth, and the chances of that happening are certainly less with sub than if you were taking methadone or another opiate.

Again, I would highly recommend finding another doctor who is either knowledgable about sub and pregnancy, or willing to learn. Ask him/her for their advice as to whether you should taper or stay on sub throughout your pregnancy.