It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all,
I am new to joining this site but I have found so many helpful posts so far. I just haven't found anything that quite comforts me or answers my questions. I want to start off by saying please no judgement (although I have a feeling that won't be a problem as everyone on this site seems to be quite understanding). I am not proud of what I am about to say, but I am an addict and as many know, that addiction runs your mind and your life so I kind of lost control a long time ago.
So a quick background..
My husband and I have been battling an addiction to oxycodone for almost 3 years now. We have tried unsuccesfully to quit before but because of it constantly around us we always failed. In april, I found out I was pregnant. Still battling my addiction I freaked out- BIG TIME. I knew that I couldn't quit cold turkey as that was even more dangerous for my baby. So I continued to use. When I was 20 weeks I went to an inpatient program and got clean. Unfortunately, my husband was still using which was really hard and tempting for me.. so I relapsed. When I got to 32 weeks I decided enough was enough and I didn't want my innocent child to enter this world feeling those tortorus withdrawals. So we got my husband into a sub doctor. At 33 weeks I started taking about 2mgs of subs a day and now I only take 1mg or less every couple of days. Within this next week I won't be taking any at all.
My doctor knows of my opiate addiction, although he doesn't know the whole truth. He doesn't know I relapsed and he doesn't know I'm taking subs. I am so extremely afraid that when my child is born they will test his meconium and find the opiates in his system and call cps and take him away from me. I am not a bad mother, I will give EVERYTHING for my son to have a good life. I jjust had a problem when I got pregnant . Does anyone have any experience with them testing meconium? Any experience with cps? I have read that they have to have a special test to test for suboxone so I am more worried about the opiates. But then again I just don't know because like I said, my doc knows that I was battling it and he thinks I was going to counseling (my insurance got canceled so I cannot afford it). Please anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, my name is Jessie. The first thing congratulations on your recovery and pregnancy. Next to do is relax. I was taking a lot of hydro and oxy thru out my pregnancy. I was rx it but, I took way more than I was supposed too. When I had my daughter, nothing was said to me about my use. When they brought her to me, she was perfect. I would try to get as low as u can to be comfortable. Then just stay there. This is only my opinion. You don't want to add any extra stress to your child. Take a warm bath, pamper yourself. Feel free to pm me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

After reading a lot of these posts, I am finding myself to relax a little. But not completely. I am still fearing the unknown. I guess because some people have good experiences, and some dont. I do want to add though, when I was still using I was going through horrid withdrawals and I was so worried about the health of my baby so I went to the hospital (I was having verrrrry painful braxton hicks) and told them I was going through w/d. My son was doing WONDERFUL! His heartbeat was absolutely perfect and the nurse was very pleasant with me. They released me and told me not to worry, that my baby was doing fine. So I am wondering if he wasn't experiencing the w/d as I was.. So that kind of gives me a little relief as well. I really don't need that much sub right now. I don't experience hardly ANY w/d when I don't take it.. really the only w/d symptom I go through is a LITTLE difficulty falling asleep. So I'm thinking I just need to stick it out and just lay in bed until I am able to fall asleep. Like I said before, I'm only taking 1mg or less every few days.. when I say that, I don't mean I take 1mg a day, I mean like I will take 1mg over a 3-4 day period. So I am really hopeful that my son will not experience w/d when born. I am more concerned about CPS. Especially since I went to the hospital for w/d and they did do a drug test. That was at 31 weeks I think. I just don't know what to expect. Another thing I'm worried about is that my mom will be there for the birth and she does not know of my situation. She knows I went to a treatment center but she thinks it was for marijuana. So I'm afraid if he does show NAS symptoms and the doctor/nurse says something about it in front of my mom. I wouldn't know how to react. I am so afraid and I am trying my hardest to just have faith. I pray to god every day for him to keep my family together. I don't know what I would do if they took my son. He means THE WORLD to me already and I haven't even met him yet!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 am 

One thing I would suggest you do is to find out what your parental rights are in your state. Research in what circumstances CPS could take action by removing your child. Knowledge is power! Be careful about signing any paperwork, especially when you have your guard down. If they do end up testing your baby for any reason, you should be present. Become familiar with the NAS test so that you can contest the results if necessary. I wish you all the best!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hey, i feel your pain, my pregnancy was miserable cuz of using and the subs and the whole thing, i used heroin until i was 6 months pregnant, actually i got on subs the first day of my 3rd trimester, i wondered the same thing, about them testing the meconium, now ive heard tho depending on insurance they wont test unless they have reason to test, like nas or something, but if u have medicaid i know here in michigan its manditory, they tested my sons, and luckily he came back clean... i do know it can go back months, but my dr said it all depends, i dont know about if they test for subs, i dont think so but im not sure hopefully someone else knows more about that, but i do remember when i was getting ready for discharge with my son, a social worker from the hospital spoke to me, i told her i used the whole time and my dr knew and all my test since i got help have been clean told her everything, she basically said keep doing what ur doing and i see no need to go any further with ur case just continue meetings, etc.. but she did mention she was waiting for the results of my sons drug test, she never said tho if it wouldve made an effect, or if it came back negative i just assumed so, i do know that reg drug tests show levels, so maybe since ur dr knows u used prego and if it does show in the babys test if the levels are low and his urine dont test positive maybe they wont go further... im not really sure tho, :/ i really hope u get the answers youre looking for, i feel for you cuz i know how miserable you have to be going through all this pregnant, i was a wreck, but my baby was fine :) and im sure yours will be too :) ill keep you in my prayers. and make sure u update with what happens :)