It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm 39 weeks pregnant and i got very sick this week and had to go to the hospital. Since I got pregnant i stayed in the care of my psychiatrist who was wrting me my subs and other prescriptions. I had tapered down my sub really low and stopped for a while but mentally i couldnt do it and i started taking .5 every other day. I didnt tell my regular ob or the hospital im delivering at about the suboxone just because i knew they would make a big deal. Well i got sick this week and i went to the hospital and was in for 4 days. today they let me go bc i got better but before letting me go they told me they found drugs in my system (which i know 100% the only thing ive touched is suboxone) and saw i was picking up prescriptions. So i told them i had been tapering with my other doctor and the dose was very low. They still told me they had to call CPS and i was going to have to go through a bunch of programs and interviews with them. How can they do that if i was legally taking it from my doctor? can they take my child away for that? im just really worried. ill be 40 weeks on monday... (its saturday today)
I called my doctor and told him what they said and he told me not to worry that they just treat people like that but Im just really worried....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry for the situation you're in...I can imagine how stressful it must be!
I'll get right to this first...I strongly believe that everything will turn out fine. You won't lose your baby or anything horrendous like that.
You very well may have to jump through a few hoops for CPS, but I think it'll be fairly minimal once you produce your legal, legitimate prescription for the medication that the hospital discovered in your system.
Would you mind telling what exactly happened? For example, did the hospital staff inform you that you were being drug tested? Did they ask you specifically about your drug history or could there have been something in your prenatal records about you having a previous problem with drug abuse? I'm just wondering what prompted them to test you in the first place.
Did they tell you specifically what you tested positive for? Or did they ask you if you failed to tell them about a med you're on when you were admitted and give you a chance to explain?
It just irks me that they put such fear in you without telling you more than it seems that they did. For example...it's one thing if you tested positive for an illegal substance like heroin or cocaine, or even marijuana (in most states.). Having something like that in your system is naturally going to set off the alarms. On the other hand, a prescription drug can often be pretty quickly ruled out as something problematic by just asking the patient to produce the Rx. I think you even said they pulled up your pharmacy records and told you they saw your history there. That alone should explain why you tested positive for a drug you're being prescribed, for heavens sake!
On the other hand, you didn't disclose your intake of a drug that could potentially have a significant impact on your care and on your baby's care and that is a big deal. It has to be addressed and dealt with. Unfortunately, we still have a world in which, as addicts (even in recovery) we are still often thought of as weak, not sick. And being on replacement therapy may still be considered by many as still being an active drug user. In any case, the hospital has to report things like this to the authorities to make sure your baby will be safe to go home with you.
That's what it comes down to. So I think all you'll have to do is explain that what they found is in fact legally prescribed and show proof of that...you may need something in writing from your doctor. If I were you, I'd find everything you can about bupe and NAS, and bupe in general to share with your OB and the hospital staff so they'll be better informed. Plead your case as far as not disclosing, as I'm a little concerned that your OB might Be upset about this. Let them know how low your dose has gotten and that you thought it was so low that it might not be worth opening the proverbial can of worms over.
I hope that helps you some. I really do think everything is going to be alright. Try not to lose the joy of having your baby. Just get this cleared up honestly and quickly and try not to get overly defensive about it. You messed up by not disclosing, but it's very understandable in my opinion. So just own it and do what's required of you to show that you're prepared and perfectly safe to care for your baby...that's all CPS is after.
Please, please come back and share what happens. I'd really appreciate hearing more. Your case tells me that more and more testing for bupe is being done routinely, which is a concern for a lot of us here.
Hang in there! Also if you haven't already, look through all the posts on this pregnancy section. I recently posted a good link from ACOG and there's tons more good info as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well i went to the hospital bc i had flu like symptoms and couldnt keep food or water down so they collected my urine right away but never said ANYTHING about testing it or anything. During my stay there they gave ME morphine and percacet for pain bc i was in very bad pain, i told them i didnt really want to but they insisted. I didnt tell them i had been on suboxone bc i didnt want them to flip out and ask why and all of that so i just never said anything. on the second day after collecting a gallon of my pee they informed me they lost the gallon and i needed to wait bc they had to test it for pre ecplampsia or whatever its called. So i waited and finally they told me everything looked good but i was still sick so i stayed in the hospital another two days, on my last day right before they discharged me, they said they "looked back" and found opiates in my urine. then asked me about my prescription history, which this whole time i have gotten all my scripts from my same sub doctor i used to be on adderol and xanax but i dont take them but it shows i picked them up. So i told them yes i had been tapering suboxone with my doctor that was legally prescribing them to me and i just didnt feel comfortable telling them that bc i didnt want the judgment, and they said it didnt matter that it was prescribed to me that they still have to call CPS and i have to go to these appointments in 2 days... mind you im due in 3 days, im as big as a bus... im just extremely stressed out. Im going to my sub doctor tomorrow, hes been my doctor for 3 years he knows what ive taken he knows what ive been through hes a MD and a psychiatrist and he told me he would back me up 100% and told me that they cant take the baby they are just gonna try to screw w me. its just stressful. i feel like when they were discharging me and writing me the scripts they saw all the other scripts i had picked up in the past and they just thought i was a big liar for not telling them.

sorry for my grammer and spelling im just stressed and tired.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess I should update, with notes from my sub doctor everything went okay, my son left the hospital with me after two days and no sign of w.d at all.. Mind you I tapered down to .25 mg during my pregnancy while in school full time, it can be done my son is 8 months now and he's ahead on everything he crawled early at 4 1/2 months now tries to stand and walk. All you have to do is want something bad enough for it to happen and work hard. Good luck to anyone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:08 pm 

I'm so glad that everything worked out so well for you and your baby boy! Thanks for updating us!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Really, very stressful situation, but I believe you will out of this situation soon. They will not take your child, so, don't panic while pregnant as it can have some adverse effect to baby.