It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So my plan was to get off subutex before getting pregnant, but I ended up getting pregnant a little too soon. I was completely clean from all meds for about 6 years before I relapsed, so I know I can do it without subutex. I was originally on about 16mg a day and have tapered down to anywhere between 6mg and 10mg daily. My hope is to do this so slowly that I won't feel w/d's too much.

I've read throughout this forum, and now some of the risks that may be associated. Poor diet, relapse, etc. And although I see myself completely off the subutex when it is time to have the baby, I also want to be realistic. I will make sure the baby and I are safe. Worst case scenario I will be at like .25 mgs, best case I will be at nothing.

Both of my dr.'s are aware of my situation as well as my desire to come off of it completely. Both seem supportive, although my addiction dr would rather I stay on it, he is still supportive of tapering off. My OB has had patients on this medication before, some have stayed on it and some have come off of it. He really has left it up to me.

My family is another story. Since i'd been clean for 6 years before, without the use of this medication and also the treatment I'd been through in the past was completely against the use of this medication long term in recovery, my family will be so disappointed in me for being on it. Also, they would be livid if they found out I got pregnant while on it-even more so if the baby were to go through withdrawals. I know, I know, they don't understand, it's my life, it's my decision........but especially my parents have been through the ringer with addiction in our family and I would hate this to be another negative effect our family has to go through because of my addiction. I would love to spare the whole family the stress.

Anyway, I guess I would just like your input. But please know- nothing will change my mind about tapering off if at all possible. I will do it so slowly, every few days taking a mg or so, giving myself as much time as I can. I do plan to go down to 4 mg this week (up to 6mg if I'm too sick).

Thanks in advance for the advise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with the tapper question but i did want to welcome you here. My son is on suboxone & it saved his life. He was doing well on sub & the doctor wanted him to taper off which he did and within a few weeks he relapsed. It was another round of inpatient detox & 3 months of rehab. Now I don't ever want him off. I am also on sub because i became addicted to the pain pills i was given for chronic pain. I have no desire to go off BUT No one knows i am on sub...that part i can identify with you. All i can offer is do what is best for you & the baby.

Congrats on your pregnancy...enjoy your pregnancy it is a miracle to me!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you very much for the reply! Congrats to your sobriety.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I tapered off of suboxone earlier on in my pregnancy. I took my last dose at 15 wks and I am now 30 wks. I will say that I am no doctor, but I believe that if you take your time with the taper and make sure you level out on each dose before dropping you will be fine. Always listen to your body. I jumped at .25 and while the first couple of weeks were uncomfortable nothing was unbearable and it was all worth it for my baby girl. I wish you the best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes, I'm planning to do it very slowly and how I've read people do it in micro grams on this forum. One thing though is my next Dr visit next week I'm going to have him rx me 2mg tabs instead of 8mg I think. I've only read how people do it with 8mg pills, so I'll need to figure out the math. Unless someone thinks doing it with 8mg is better. .... im not sure. but reading how others have done it disolving a pill in water seems like a good way for me to go.