It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just discovered this site a few weeks ago and have really found the stories from other mothers comforting. I am 37 weeks pregnant and am currently taking 2mg of subutex daily. Prior to becoming pregnant I had been on 16mg of suboxone daily for 3 years. Suboxone helped me completely get my life back, and I will never regret my decision to use suboxone therapy to stop using other opiates. My family is happy, my kids are great (2 boys ages 10 and 8)..I feel like I have my life back. I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 17 weeks...embarassingly enough I went to ER because I thought I had appendicitis! We found out we were pregnant with a healthy little girl. I am very excited about being a new mom again, but am horrified about the birthing experience. My OB is a jerk, and when I told her I was being prescribed suboxone she actually suggested I think about terminating the pregnancy. I can endure the hatefullness of ignorant people, but am so scared about the staff calling CPS or keeping the baby in the hospital because of Newborn withdrawl syndrome, or treating her for it with unneccessary medication like Methodone. I have read some Horror stories of recent on here, and just wondered if anyone has had any birthing experience that wasn't awful. I lie awake at night just terrified of the hospital staff and what they are going to do. I am on a fairly low dose of subutex, and have taken no other meds during my pregnancy except Tylenol. Of coarse I am worried about newborn withdrawl but I also know that I can't do anything about it. I guess I could use some words of hope and wisdom!! Thanks!

Codi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Codi! Im so glad you decided to post your fears. It helps to get it out and get some supportive responses.

Will your OB def. be the one delivering you? Or is it a group practice where who ever is on delivers you? I know you hear some scary stories here as far as them keeping babies and stuff, but I really don't think that is the norm. It does happen sometimes, but as long as you are only on sub I really think everything will be ok.

Have you talked to your sub dr about your fears? I really think you should. Maybe even talk to your OB, even though you don't like her, just be honest about your thoughts and ask lots of questions so that you go into this very informed. Write down all your questions for your next visit and then even take notes as far as her answers go, and take them to the hospital with you when you deliver so that she can't go back on anything she said.

I'm wishing you all the best. I'm hoping you get some responses form some moms who have gone through a delievery on sub so they can tell you some more about what happens. Good luck!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:51 am 
Hi Codi, Just wanted to add my support. I haven't been through it myself - but it sounds like you have been very responsible and are on a very low dose, so I think eveything's going to be fine. I would suggest you talk to your sub doc, he/she may want you to go off sub a few days before delivery in case you need pain management for the birth.
Also, look at Dr. J's sub blog. He recently posted about sub and pregnancy and it's very informative.
I wish you, your baby and your family all the best.
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope it's as valuable for you as it has been for me in terms of information and support.

I'm not a mom so I can't offer you any real answers or experiences but I wanted to lend you my support. Here's a link for a few blog posts that Dr. Junig wrote about bupe and pregnancy. I hope they help you!

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/?cat=53

Take care and keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello and welcome. :) I am 29 weeks pregnant and on 2mgs/subutex a day also. I have all the exact same fears as you. The only advice I can offer is to find a pediatrician who knows how to appropriately treat suboxone NAS, one who wont use methadone. Thats what I did and it made me feel alot better knowing he will get appropriate care. I know that our babies will have to be in the hospital for atleast 72 hours. I have heard they may have to be there for up to two weeks. This is unavoidable unfortunately but I pray everyday that he has mild withdrawals and that they will release my baby as soon as possible.

As for CPS, I've done some research and understand now that they usually automatically open a case when an infant is born with NAS. Your goal will be to not give them any information they can use against you and get the case closed as soon as possible. They can not take our babies because the medication we are on is prescribed. Also I am sure they drug test you at your OB if they are like mine, so we have 9 months of proof that we are drug free. CPS really has nothing on us and they will be forced to close the case as long as you give them nothing. go to www.fightcps.com for more information about what to do when CPS is investigating you, and how to get them to go away asap. The main thing you can do is stay strong, know your rights, keep your head up and make sure to remain calm and collected when talking to them. Prove to them you are a good parent, its guilty until proven innocent with them but you can do it! Good luck with everything and I hope you can find a good pediatrician.

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome Codi and congratulations on your pregnancy! I have not been around much because I recently had a baby boy, well he is now 3 months old, and I have a 5 year old daughter. My birth stories are on the forum. I was lucky to have phenomenol births while on buprenorphine. I took my daughter home the second day after birth and my son came home the day after birth. CPS was not called. The only thing is that the pediatrician at the hospital suggested I not breastfeed after I delivered my daughter. I was not as prepared or educated and I only half-heartedly attempted and ended up supplementing with formula and pumping, which I did for about 2 or 3 months. This time around I became much more educated, realized the benefits, and was confident about my decision. I am currently nursing my son and am taking between 6-8mg suboxone. Like you, I did not have to take any other medications during pregnancy except prenatal vitamins and the occasional tylenol. Neither of my babies had NAS. My son was more fussy than my daughter during the first month. Every thing he did I worried! Maybe that sneeze was NAS, maybe that cry was NAS, maybe that quiver lip while crying is NAS. You can really drive yourself nuts analyzing everything about your baby, but all of these very things are incredibly normal for a newborn. However, NAS can and does happen due to withdrawal from buprenorphine and some babies do suffer. Even if a baby is experiencing NAS there is no way to tell whether all of the symptoms are truly NAS or just a part of being a newborn. I have heard many many stories of babies having severe colic with no relation to NAS whatsoever. If your baby does experience some NAS symptoms (which she likely won't) just keep in mind that it will not last forever. It is transient and a baby who screamed their little heart out the first week may turn out to be very calm there after. I do have to add, regardless of the strong opinions for or against them that every parent has... a pacifier can really be an amazing tool for a fussy baby in the newborn period when nothing else works. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. A lot of prayer and God's Grace is what sustained me through my pregnancy despite all of the unanswerable questions and possibilities. He can help you through this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hope all is still well with you! I just posted my birth story here on the forum and I hope you can read it to find a little comfort. I just had my baby this past week (first of June) I am on 2mg/day of Subutex. No problems with w/d in the baby or with CPS getting involved. NONE. Best wishes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:25 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey,

I took sub late in my pregnancy. I was take 4mg at the end. I had all the fears you guys did. I wanted to breastfeed too. My OB had no experience with sub and the hospital didn't either. They told me since I was on subutex, I couldn't breastfeed. THey said she was going to NAS because she was so fussy and then they started to score her. They went behind my back and did a poo test, which came out negtive So who was lieing, she was just a fussy baby who didn't or wasn't ready to come into the work.

This is what I would do, make sure OB understands if he doesn't go to one who does. Talk with your Sub dr and make sure he has some info on how it is ok to breatfeed. My sub dr said no to breastfeeding but I thinghta is ok. Rachel stayed in the hospital for 10 days and they were scoring her and asked social service to come talk to me and my boyfirend, who is now gone.

Most hospital staff dont know about sub so I would make sure to go to the hospital and inform them and give them all the iinfoamtion that you have so there are no surpisess. I had a horrible experience. but in the end, they did like me and were nice. It was my boyfriend that they were worried about him.

Just get your info together, make sure the hosptial knows, get the OB on track, and Sub dr involved.