It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would like to document my story as I taper from 3mg to 0 of Subutex while pregnant. This is my second time doing this, and I know there is not much info out there for pregnant moms trying to get off of Bupe. I remember searching and searching last time when I was pregnant because I was so scared what it would do to my baby. I successfully did it last time and had a healthy baby. This time I got a little too comfortable and waited a little too long to taper. Last time I was on about 1mg by now (30 weeks) and I am on 2-3mg now.

Even though a regular pregnancy would give me 10 more weeks, I don't likely have that.....at best I have 9 weeks and at worst I have 6 weeks (its a long story, but my doc will either take my baby via C-Section between 1 and 3 weeks early).

So my plan is to get stable on 2mg by this coming Thursday and from there go down to:

1mg for a week
.75mg for a week
.5 for a week
.375 for a week
.25 for a week
.125 for a week

That should take me to the end of September which should give me exactly enough time if the baby comes 3 weeks early and gives me a little more leeway if the baby stays in a little longer.

To get such a small dose, I have 2mg pills rx'd to me and I crush them into piles and take however much I need for that dose, slide it into a folded business card and slide it under my tongue. I never did really like the liquid method, this way worked better for me.

Two things that will help with your success in tapering is:
#1 split your dose into two or three smaller doses throughout the day once you get to around 2mg or so
#2 Always take your dose(s) at the same time every day. Even if your starting to feel yucky, stick it out as long as you can so you take your doses at the same time. If you take your dose early, at least I find, I am sicker earlier and want/need more Bupe than I should.

I will update my progress as I go along......I find it helps to write/talk about my struggles and my successes, plus if i can help even one struggling pregnant mom it is all worth it. I know how scary this can be and even though I've been through it before, I am still scared. A healthy baby is all I care about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:24 pm 

Welcome 1234.

Good luck! And yes, documenting ur journey will help others. I didn't become addicted until after I had my children, so I couldn't imagine how tough it would be. U seem like u have the will and determination to see this through, again good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the reply!! I do have the will and determination, especially as I know what it's like since I've done it before, less than 2 years ago, my only fear is that I have waited too long and am still at a little too high of a dose and won't be able to be completely off before the delivery.

What scares me about that (not being completely off) is that I'm having a scheduled c-section, so major surgery on bupe, isn't what I'd be looking forward too. Also if I'm still on it, especially because I'm having surgery, the nurses would know that I was on it and would be looking for w/d symptoms in the baby and we have all heard what that could lead to. Some nurses are too over zealous with their evaluations and might think he was in w/d when it could actually be just normal infant stuff.

I would just prefer if possible to keep it between my OB and I that I'm on it. And I would become general knowledge of the staff if they had to medicate me differently due to still being on the bupe.

Anyway, just something I'm stressing about. I'm trying to enjoy this pregnancy as it will be my last, but it's not easy with all the added unknowns.

Thanks for the support!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hear you about the attitudes. I'll just toss in that c-sections don't have to be horrible on buprenorphine. They usually do c-sections under spinal or epidural these days, and neither is significantly affected by buprenorphine as you probably know. The only issue for mom is post-op pain, which is covered very well using a higher dose of oxycodone-- say 15 mg instead of 5 mg.

But I get, and I've written, about the attitudes. It is too bad those attitudes are out there, but that's just how it is at this point.

The taper you describe is a bit fast, but keep posting here and I'm sure you'll find support. I'm glad you can be open with your OB about what's going on.

Hang in there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for the reply Suboxdoc. I know the taper is quick. And if I can't do it completely, I'll be happy just to be as low as I can. I do have a question for you about that since you replied to my post......

What would it look like for me if say I was still on .25mg or even .125mg when I ended up delivering? Would I still need quite a large dose of opiates to help the pain or is it likely that I might just need a little more than the regular person?

I ask this because when I had my now 20 month old, I had tapered similar to what I am doing now, only I had given myself a few more weeks (I had been down to 1 mg at 30 weeks), jumped at .125, it was a pretty easy jump, but 3 days later went into labor and had the baby via C-section. The spinal was fine, but they did have to give me dilaudid before the pain was under control. It took about 4 different tried before the pain was under control and then it was controlled just fine.

So like you said, I know the taper is quick, and I know I might not be completely off before delivery, I will just do my best, but do you think I would still need to tell all the hospital staff if I was taking .25 or .125 still?

Last edited by 1234km on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quick update:

I have stayed at 3 mg for the past few days because the w/d were a little more than I wanted to deal with. But starting tomorrow I will go down to 2mg, splitting the dose 1mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. The worst w/d wise right now for me is in the morning, restless arms and legs (holy hell the arms are so much worse than the legs), and some stomach cramping- but really so far totally doable. I really should have only taken 2mg the past few days, but I figured I'd gone down so fast that it was ok to let my body adjust to the 3mg. It just means somewhere else I will have to speed things up a tad.

There's really not much else to report on my progress except that I definitely try to get my heart pumping and get some exercise when I'm feeling w/D's because that really does do wonders for them.

So starting tomorrow I'm going to 2mg and as soon as I level out I will go down to 1mg, always splitting my dose in half and taking it twice a day. That is really key for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Update:
I've gone down to 2mg, but I'm definitely not stable there yet. I found that it was very easy for me to take 1mg in the am, in the afternoon and in the pm. So I have cut out one of those doses.

So far I am trying to cut out the am dose, because my addict doesn't so much want that dose.....but my body really does. I find upon waking up, I feel pretty bad. BUT, I am going to take my evening dose later to help combat that.

A lot of this pregnancy, especially towards the end, if I exert myself too much I get contractions. This is a problem for exercising. Yesterday I tried yoga which actually was surprisingly hard, especially with my belly, but it did get my blood pumping and my heart beating faster, which had to help some. Does anyone have any personal experience in yoga and helping with w/d symptoms or are most of you doing more invigorating exercises?

Anyway, I wasn't completely stable on 3mg before I went down to 2mg and I know that is a big thing, that is one of the things i recommend when someone is tapering to make sure you are totally stable at your current dose before you taper down more, but I just don't have that luxury at this point. My consequences for procrastinating so long I guess. I think I just got comfortable because I kinda knew what to expect.

Anyway, thats that for today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Day 4 of 2mg. It's been not too bad. Restless arms and a little anxiety and I'm so tired but otherwise I think I can speed things up a tad and jump down to 1mg tomorrow. Who knows, I may be fooling myself, but I atleast need to try because I need to make up a little time. If it's too hard then I'll take an extra .5mg or even 1mg.

That's my plan for tomorrow. I'll update how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is my last day of 2mg (1mg in am and 1mg in pm) and I still have not leveled out. I think it's because I was never really stable on 3mg before I decreased to 2mg. Ugh it sucks, last time I did this I was fine after about day 5 and then I usually had a 2 day break before going to my next decrease.

I really don't have a choice though, if I want to be off before delivery. I already have had to re-adjust my decreases a bit because I couldn't do it as fast as I was hoping. That's what I get for procrastinating.

Now I do think I will get back on a very low dose of sub after I recover from my c-section, I know after taking pain pills my addict will be right there telling me I need more.

Last time I was off subs for 3 days before delivery and everything worked out good. So I'm going for at least that this time too.

I just wonder how the pain will be if let's say I'm still on .5mg or .25mg when I deliver. Would I need totall to my OB about giving me a higher dose or is that low enough to not worry?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I finally woke up this morning not too sick, I think i've finally become stable at 2mg. Which is just in the nick of time to facilitate my scheduled decrease to 1mg starting today.

I feel ok as of now, I've only taken .5mg at about 730 this morning and I plan to take .5mg later tonight. I will update how I feel soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello 1234,
My hat is off to you on tapering while pregnant. Not that you already have enough on your plate being pregnant. But to taper off bup is amazing that you can keep on going.

I truly wish the best for you. This website has lots of good tips and people to support you.

keep up the great work. You can do this!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 pm 

I also wanted u to know that I'm reading all ur posts! I can't comment very much because I've not tapered to low doses and I wasn't addicted until after my children were born. Pregnancy itself is extremely difficult so u should be very proud of urself! Ur doing what u feel is right for u and ur baby, and I wanted to tell ya great job :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks you guys, your words mean a lot to me!!!!!

I'm still trucking along, 1mg a day, split into two doses, 3 days in, 4 more to go until my next decrease.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ugh I'm so disappointed in myself, the last couple days I've been taking 1.5mg (.5mg 3 times a day) because I haven't been as strong as I would like to be and I start to justify, "oh just this last day", "it'll be ok, I still have 4 days to do just 1mg before my next decrease", etc.

I for sure am not doing as good this time as I did 2 years ago when I did this. First off, I have a toddler to take care of and that's hard, but I'm also a stay at home mom this time around and last time I had to get up every day and go to work so I can't really use the toddler as an excuse. Also, I remember taking my dose and the exact same times every day seemed to really help me and my dosing has been sporadic. Not too sporadic, but not within 12 hours of each other like I really should be doing. If I feel bad I'll take my dose earlier and that really screws with the w/d's I think. So I'm going to make more of an effort to wait 12 hours between each dose.

I WILL go down to 1mg today and worst case senecio I'll wait to decrease to .75mg until Saturday or Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've made some progress since my last post!! I am finally down to 1mg (.33mg 3x daily). I'm about a week behind my already modified schedule, but I am hoping to make that up somewhere in the next couple weeks. I hear about some people doing 4-5 days for some dose decrease, but for me it's been taking a whole week to level out, but I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and feel some more pain so I can catch up.

I am on day 4 of 1mg. I go see my OB tomorrow and I'm going to ask him if he can give me a better idea of my scheduled c-section date. If it's 3 weeks early I really need to hunker down but if it's only 1 week early, I have some wiggle room to work with. Honestly I'm not sure which I'd rather have, pros and cons to them both. I really just want this baby out of me, lol...... But I will be much more successful if I had even one more week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to wish you luck! I am also tapering off subutex but I am almost 36 weeks pregnant, and still at 1.5mg, so don't feel bad for procrastinating! lol. I am determined to be off before delivery but I don't know how much time I have! How are u feeling at 1mg and what if any withdrawals are you feeling? Also, do you have anything special you are doing to deal with any withdrawals? I read in your posts that you were also experiencing the RLS, and anxiety, fatigue,etc.Anyway, reading your posts have really helped me feel not so alone! Best wishes, and congratulations on your baby! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The best advice I can give you is take a ton of baths, use heating pads at night for RLS, and exercise when the w/d gets bad. I know for me, even taking a walk around the block is hard, so that's enough to help. It really does help.

When you want to reach for that extra dose, do something else- busy yourself and your wandering mind.

Set a taper schedule. Don't just fly by the seat of your pants, it's too easy to justify more time at your current dose. For me, I've been doing a week at each dose, tapering on Fridays. I know that come Friday, my dose is decreasing no matter what. I have it all laid out on the calendar so I can see it. It helps me prepare mentally for the decreases and also see that my time is running thin and that I must not procrastinate.

Dosing at the same time every day is also important for me and helps with the w/d symptoms too.

Good luck to you, keep posting updates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your advice. I have been trying to go for walks when I feel shitty but its hard. I have to make myself get moving. I also just got relaxing bubble bath today, cuz that definetly does help, and I have a heating pad for the restless legs, and magnesium that my dr suggested. I usually start feeling crappy at night, and its harder to sleep because of the anxiety,etc. Anyway, I will keep posting. Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I feel you! I am so tired of feeling shitty, your in my same boat where you won't get any relief between dose decreases and that can get pretty exhausting! Especially with all the added difficulties of late pregnancy.

Today I am pretty emotional and just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Today I got a message that said "This too shall pass" and I just broke down crying (lol, I'm super emotional, of course all my hormones but the w/d also cause me moments of depression/emotional changes).

This recovery slogan really hit home with me. When your in this pain and depression you can't think past it, you think nothing will ever better again. But the slogan is so true, all of this will pass. It's might be a few weeks still until it passes for good, but it will pass. And I do get moments of good I between my days that help me too.

Still on 1mg a day, but struggling. Come Friday I will decrease to .75mg. I did go see my OB today and there was a little bit of concern, baby's stomach is measuring about 3 weeks small for his gestational age which is giving me a trip to the parnetologist next week along with weekly non-stress tests. I'm not too concerned about the baby, I know this can happen and it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong with the baby. But it once again could speed up my taper because who knows if they will take him earlier than expected due to failure to thrive inutero. I did ask my OB if it could have anything to do with my tapering from subutex and he said a "resounding" no. He's damn sure that this doesn't affect the baby. Who knows if he's right or wrong. But the weekly non stress tests do help put my mind at ease.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:52 am 

I wish u two ladies so much luck. I've said time and time again how I wasn't addicted until after all my children were born and my youngest was about 1 to 2 yrs, but I remember pregnancy and I remember how miserable I was towards the end. For u guys to be brave enough to do this is beyond what I think I could do. I understand ur reasons for wanting to be off sub before ur babies are born and I wish u lots of good days ahead. There's tons of motivational quotes on Pinterest if that inspires ya, type in addiction recovery and it's so cool to see others that feel the same as u, knowing ur not alone.

Good luck ladies!