It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am 32 weeks pregnant. My whole pregnancy I have been taking suboxone. Only taking opiates a hand full of times. I am not prescribed nothing. But I have got myself down to half a strip a day. Tomorrow I am taking my last half...and I am so freaked out about delivery. They have not detected anything in my system. The doctor does not know I have any type of addiction.

What do I do? I want to come clean to my doctor and tell them, but I don't want my baby took from me. I still have 8 weeks left. Will my baby be okay when he is born? Will they take him from me? If I tell my doctor that I had a previous addiction earlier in my pregnancy will they take my baby? Please help me. I don't know what to do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Babies are not taken away as punishment; they are taken from unsafe environments. I've had many patients deliver on buprenorphine--- sometimes prescribed, sometimes illicit-- and none had their babies removed from them.

But not being honest with your OB about your medications will be seen as reckless, and will be worse of an issue the longer you go. This is NOT a good time to stop buprenorphine; your body needs whatever energy you can muster, and you will NOT be in good condition of you withdrawal. Plus, you area saying that even on Suboxone, you 'used' several times? That does not bode well for a future OFF buprenorphine. If you relapse and use heroin, and deliver with heroin in your bloodstream, then yes-- they could take your baby away temporarily, until you can show you have a safe home.

The CLEAR proper thing to do is to tell you doctor. Some hospitals (like the one in my town) have programs that provide buprenorphine treatment for pregnant women. Better yet, find a doc yourself if you can. You've done great work by getting your dose down; your baby has less than a 50% chance of 'discontinuation symptoms', and they will probably be very mind.

The standard of care is to stay ON medication. That will be the safest for everybody involved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The only time I used opiates was when I was hurting and needed some type of relief. I have went today without anything so far. I still have the half. I'm a little tired but I feel like its in my head.

I'm constantly hearing about women going to prison or dcs taking the baby away. I would go crazy if either happened. I have 2 other children that I never used with. I am so ready to stop spending money and I'm ready just to be healthy. My baby is very active and by ultrasound weighs more than he should.