It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on subs since March and have been weening down since then because I didn't want to be on subs for years. I have been taking 1 to 2 mg of sub for the past couple of weeks and I just found out that I'm pregnant. I stop taking my subs 2 days ago and I feel awful! Can someone tell me when this will get better!! I'm scared I'm going to break and take my suboxone and I don't want to do that. Any help would be appreciated!! I'm so scared and I feel like an awful mother already! Oh and to make things worse no one knows this...not even my husband.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi candy,

You'll find a response from me in the post you made in the stopping suboxone section of the forum. Is your doctor adimant that you stop abruptly, right now or will he consider helping you with a gradual taper, which weeks be much safer for you and baby. If your feeling really horrible, and your doctor isn't willing to help, or doesn't realize the impact that withdrawal can have on pregnancy, my advice, would be to find a new dr ASAP, if possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A couple of things come to mind...

I also wonder if a gradual taper is an option. I am 15 weeks pregnant and down to .125mg per day. I have been taking my time and this has really helped. I was taking about .5mg when I found out I was pregnant and it has taken me a couple months to get to .125, but it has not been brutal at all. If I would rate WD symptoms on a scale of 0 (no wd at all) to 10 (the wanting to crawl out of your own skin kind of wd), I would rate my symptoms as a 1, maybe 2 at the worse, when I have cut my dose down.

My OB did a drug test in my initial bloodwork. I was able to see my results online, and this did not include a suboxone test. They tested for 8 things, including methadone, so I think it was a pretty comprehensive test, but since it didn't include subs, I did not show positive. With that said, if that is a concern, keep in mind that your first OB appointment is usually around 8-9 weeks. That might buy you some time. I live in an area where drug abuse is rampant (southern OH), so this might just be a regional thing.

Other than that, I would say start a good prenatal ASAP. My favorite is the Vitafusion Prenatal gummies with DHA and folic acid (at Walmart). I like them because they are easy on my stomach. Morning sickness has not made things easier.

If you can exercise, it helps...even just an easy walk can do you some good. While rest is good, laying around can make it easy to obsess about symptoms. The busier I am, the less I notice.

Imodium is also a good option. It is safe in pregnancy. My OB told me to be very liberal (meaning don't be afraid to take alot) with the Immodium since it sort of acts like an opiate and can relieve symptoms.

Zofran and Diclegis (both prescribed by my OB) have helped with any nausea.

Baths and warm showers are my best friend. Just soak and soak and soak if it is an option.

This is all that I can think of. As far as how long it lasts, I think it is different for everyone but I would expect the first week, to likely be the worst. The next week you may be drained, but you might be drained any way because you are pregnant. Use that excuse to the roof if you can. After a couple weeks, I would expect to be on the mend. I'm not sure if this is your first pregnancy, but if so, know that you may feel pretty bad for awhile just due to the pregnancy alone so remember all of your symptoms may not be sub related. Some may be good ole fashioned hormones, and they can be wicked. I am 15 weeks and just starting to feel human again. The first trimester can be the worst for some people. So be kind to yourself as much as you can. Good luck!

Looking forward to hearing about your success!!