It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I need some advice or words of encouragement to help ease my mind as I am driving myself insane. I am 23 weeks pregnant today, and my last day of taking sub was 6 days ago, I have been on it for a while but had to stop going to the clinic as it got too expensive and I only used approx 2 pills a week and the last two weeks of use was less than that, as I was taking less than a quarter a day of an 8 mg tab. I believe the worse part of w/d is over as I am starting to feel more myself but I'm driving myself insane with worry. I failed a drug test on my first prenatal visit in Feb and the only thing my ob said was if I was on it to just wean myself off of it and not go to any clinic, well it took longer than I wanted but iv done just that and I am determined to stay off, since then she has tested me one more time in April and I passed cause I tried stopping then but only made til after my appt. My main worry is that I'm located in Tn the state where the drug test all babies, I believe it is done by cord blood..possibly meconium but I'm almost sure it's cord blood, I'm scared to death that even though I have quit this early that my baby will still test positive for the sub, how likely is this? I'm not really worried about NAS considering I will have been off of it for 3-4 months in advance but I'm scared to death it will still be in the blood or poo and if that happens I know cos will be called, they are contacted here even if you have a script. Please help me, I'm making myself sick with worry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We recently had an NICU RN weigh in on just this subject. Meconium is tested only if there is an indication, baby is experiencing NAS, mom comes in high or some other indicator that something is amiss. It did not sound like it was routine. Cord blood won't show anything if you have been off buprenorphine for 17 weeks.
The key is going to be getting through this time without relapse.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll just second the last comment. Understand that the absolute worst thing would be to be actively using opioids, without being under the care of an addiction treatment doc. Many people make the decision to stop using opioids, but most people can't/don't follow through with that decision. Hopefully the fear you have right now will protect you. For that reason.... stay afraid!!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm not extremely worried about being able to stay off of it because I know the determination I have....and I would have gladly went to a sub Dr but as I said before my ob Dr specifically told me to wean myself and not go. I'm just scared to death about the cord blood test as I can't find any specifics on a timeframe as to how far back it tests or how long the sub will stay in there or if it's guaranteed that it has passed to my baby's cord blood at all. I can't spend the 3-4 months torturing myself with the what ifs. I have done everything I have been asked to do by my Dr but I still feel like it will be used against me. I'm not some horrible mother, I have two older girls who I take very good care of and love more than anything. And I'd rather be on the sub or have been on the sub than I would the things I was on a few years ago

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:55 am 

Hey ak,

I'm in Tennessee too and had all 3 of my children in TN. I wasn't on drugs at that point so I'm not familiar with exactly the drug testing process or even if there is a process for that matter. I do know that there wasn't ever a mention to me about any tests other than the regular health tests. That doesn't mean they didn't because everything would have came bk negative so they maybe just didn't tell me. But I think ur fine because ur OB knows already about this, so he/she can verify that for u and can say that they advised u to stop and not find a clinic. I totally get the worrying, but I really think you'll be fine. Pls just be focusing on staying in recovery and ur baby and try to let the worrying go. I honestly think you'll be fine. 6 days is awesome btw :)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Even if they do test the cord blood and you come back positive, you weren't taking the sub illegally. It was with a valid script. CPS might come in a talk with you, but that's it. There's NOTHING wrong with taking suboxone as prescribed under a doctors care. NOTHING. You might get some some bad attitudes from unknowing and naive and uneducated nurses, but that's it. You are doing nothing illegal. Your baby will be fine. Don't stress over this. I can tell you from first hand experience, it's not worth it. I had a baby 4 DAYS after taking my last sub dose. It was a very low dose of .125mg and baby was and still is 18 months later great. I stressed out over and over about nothing. Don't make my same mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

We are so similar and I'm so glad I found ur post. I live in TN too and I am scared to death!! I am 24 weeks pregnant and I go to a sub clinic and want off of these before I deliver so badly but it's so much harder than I expected it to be, even with the motivation of having a baby on the way and not wanting my sweet baby girl to suffer any NAS. I'm way proud of u for being 6 days off. Anyone that has never been down this road doesn't understand how hard it is to battle coming off of these. The part we are not similar on is I am still on 6 to 8mg a day. I am under a docs supervision, but I can't find any definite answers about how all the delivery process works and about DHS being involved. I have no record, never been in trouble in my life, my family has clue about the fact that I even need to take subs and I don't want them to know because they are so very judgemental and I already have a 4 yr old daughter and because they are so awful I just know if I have to have DHS involved that my family will make my life a living hell and probably try to take both of my kids even tho I am doing nothing wrong. You aren't allowed to be imperfect the in anyway around them. I really need some answers on how the hospital process is going to work. Number 1 I want my new baby girl to be OK and I want to be feeling good to take care of both of my girls to give them the best life. I deal with depression and I'm so scared if I come off of these I'll never be normal again!! Number 2 I really don't want DHS involved in my life in any way, shape, or form. I never have had them around so I'd like to keep it that way and save myself the embarrassment, and for sure don't want my judgemental family asking any questions about anything or finding anything out. And I of course don't want my baby taken away by DHS or my family. I also don't want her to have to stay in the NICU and withdrawal. I would love to hear all the info I can about the entire process. I hope and pray I can get off these things, but I have so many fears that I won't be able to and even if I am able to I am still so scared just because it's documented I had to have subutex while pregnant!!