It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have some questions in regards to my situation. My husband was able to get in a sub program at a Dr's a couple years ago. With my work and offices being full, I was never able to get in. We get my meds from the street and both have been clean. Now the company I have been working for, for years, shuts down. My insurance was through them. Husband is luckily still able to go to his Dr's. Then I find out I am pregnant and unable to go to Dr's due to no insurance. We are in the process of getting it through his work, but it may take another 30 days.
I am worried going into pregnancy exams without being prescribed the sub by a Dr. I want to monitor my baby and do what is safest for them! I have another suboxone clinic I can call, should I try to get in before going to the obg?
I'm also worried about costs between insurances, should I possibly just wait until I am covered?
I have been trying to wean and cut back for the past several months. Since then I cut one single strip in half and have the half for the day. Every time I've tried to half that I've gotten sick. Since being pregnant, I've had bad morning sickness, so I have started halving the half, but I often end up taking the other little half at night or end up feeling worse. Should I continue to try and wean myself? Is this what the obg will ask for anyway?
I wouldn't mind staying on a low dose if it is completely safe for baby, but I don't want to risk anything come birth either. I would also like to breastfeed as well.

I kindly thank you for listening to my worries and any response. We are very independent and none of the extended family knows about this as well. We go to meetings and have friends for that support - as well as always being there for one another.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:11 pm 

My advice is to do a very thorough search for suboxone doctors in your area. You should definitely be under the care of a suboxone doctor and optimally with an obstetrician/midwife who is also familiar with pregnancy and suboxone.

Don't panic, though. You have time. I think that it would be helpful to already have a sub doctor before you see the obstetrician, but don't delay prenatal care either. I wish you the best! Keep us updated.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:31 pm 

Hey justakit!

I really can't tell ya what to do. U had a lot of questions and I'm sure I won't answer them all because I'm having trouble remembering them all lol. But if I became pregnant and didn't have a sub dr but could get into a clinic, I would, bottom line. It's safe to be on subutex while pregnant and that's probably what they'd put u on. If u continue to take suboxone without a prescription then that's not gonna be good to the hospital when u deliver. I don't know what to advise u on the insurance because I don't know ur situation on if u can start going to a clinic financially without it or not....but if I could I would go regardless. Sometimes it takes a bit to get an appointment so I'd be trying now. U could wait til ur OB appointment but if it were me I'd just go ahead and try now. This is just my advice, I get the impression that ur wanting to continue sub treatment during this pregnancy, so if that's the case I'd just go ahead and be trying to find a sub dr. Just be sure u tell them that ur pregnant and make sure they take pregnant women.

I think you'll be a lot less stressed once u get all this lined out. It's stressful, I totally feel for ya. But there's no reason imo for u to just up and stop ur suboxone because ur pregnant unless that's what u want to do. Just because ur pregnant doesn't take away the fact that ur an addict and u still have to look out for u. Let us know what u decide. Hopefully someone who's had more experience with suboxone and pregnancy will offer their advice. I didn't start actively using drugs until I had all my children, but if I had been I'd absolutely taken sub.

Good luck :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both for your advice and support! The insurance came through this week!
Sorry for the slew of questions, I was definitely quite stressed worrying about it all.
I'm researching sub Dr's via our insurance and have an obg appointment lined up for next Thurs. I'm working on having the sub Dr in the works at least by then.
I also am sticking with the amount I'm used to daily, as I was feeling worse trying to cut it back.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it! I'll pop back in with my progress. :)