It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think the implant is a terrific idea!
I also feel it shows how serious you are about your recovery.

Regarding NAS....I believe it's highly unlikely your baby will experience this (especially since you're on such a tiny dose). You can google Suboxone & NAS for a more concrete timeline (there's probably info in Dr. J's older videos as well). But, if your baby dose end up experiencing withdrawal symptoms they probably won't appear for at least 24hrs after birth.

I believe the most important thing to do to ensure your birthing experience is beautiful is to have a plan, be your own advocate, go to the hospital armed with tons of research (I literally brought a folder with me containing study findings & info on Sub), and make your needs & wants very clear.

Unfortunately, some hospital staff are eager to jump the gun when scoring babies for NAS. Study the scale they use so you know how and why they score. Lots of the things they consider "withdrawal symptoms" are things ALL newborns do. I truly believe if you go in there determined, informed, and with a positive attitude....your outcome will be much closer to what you want.

Regarding docs- I totally get that it sucks and can be taxing financially & physically to find another Sub
doc....especially one whom requires you to travel. However, sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do. If you find one an hr away who fits your needs better, it dosent mean you hafta continue treatment with that doctor forever. But, at least your needs would be met while you take your time to find one closer to you.

In active addiction, there were no limitations as to what we'd do to score. I feel it's important to take this same approach in recovery.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been reading your story and I truly believe u should be at a higher dose, not to mention your hormones are going crazy. Our stories are so similar, except I am a registered nurse (should have known better I know) I will be thinking of u....stay strong!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:46 pm 

I don't need your actual name. I just want to have a name to call you on the forum. Feel free to make one up or not. :)

(Insert your name here), Your doula and the nursing staff are experts at deflecting unwanted guests from your birth. Utilize them!!

Also remind your nurses that you don't want anyone to know about your medication except them and your husband. CFR42 is even more restrictive than HIPAA in terms of confidentiality.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Saw my OB today. He is going to try to get me in to a psychiatrist that he thinks my doctor will listen more closely to. With one of the goals being that he/she will be able to best determine what symptoms are depression and which are withdraw/related to suboxone.in the meantime he wants to start increasing my dose of zoloft, since 75mg is low. As far as the suboxone goes he said he knows from observation and speaking with colleagues that doses often do need to be increased in pregnancy. So he will tell my doctor that.However, he also said from what he has observed and heard from collegues is that lower doses do result in less NAS. So he doesn't want me to increase without knowing if it is withdraw or depression, and hopes the added zoloft will give a better indication of that and that the physciatrist will as well. After speaking to him i found out that he made the decision not to take those classes to work with suboxone, as he doesn't like working with that general population, since there is often dishonesty and relapses.. that sort of thing. He did say that he thinks i am being very honest this time, even though it wasn't my first. I didn't realize until now...and i could be wrong...but after talking to him today it seems he is uncomfortable working with people like me. He isn't rude or anything, but i have noticed key differences in him from my first pregnancy. After hearing him talk more tonight about his experience (or lack there of) in working with maternal addiction,and hearing his opinion that a counselor who specializes in maternal addiction wouldn't be a convincing force for my sub doc (which tells me that he himself wouldn't consider her a trustworthy source, and i can't help but wonder why..?), i am now uncomfortable with him! He is 100% behind doubleing my zoloft but unsure of the suboxone, though i do understand why he is unsure since i have depression... but i feel like if i am putting him outside his boundaries of comfort i almost wish i could find another doctor.i want one who has more experience with this i guess, and who wants to work with women with addiction history. Nikki(the counselor/doula) did write me back and i wrote her back, but i didn't get a call today. I get she is trying to catch up after the holidays. I am really going i find comfort in her. My OB didn't seem to optimistic about her and when i shared some of what i learned/ stories i heard from here he said he didnt really like these forums. He is supposed to be putting in calls to get to get me in with a physciatrist, since no way i could get an appointment by myself. He said it is unlikely i will get in this week. I asked what i am supposed to do in the meantime and he just said raise my zoloft amount and hang in there the best i can.
I am so tired guys. I wish i didn't have it in my head that i need the larger dose. Maybe you all should start saying 3mg is safest and to push through, and that the zoloft will make me feel better. Maybe of i hear that enough it will be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, I thought your OB would advocate for you better than that. Sheesh. I really think you should call the counselor until she can talk to you. None of this makes any sense, no one is listening to you it seems. We are though. I don't think you should give up and be uncomfortable with your dosage. I would be calling to find another suboxone dr. I'm frustrated for you! I am so sorry that you have to deal with all of this stress-especially when it could easily be solved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I guess ijust need to accept they are just worried about the baby and dont want to be treating me for something that isnt the issue. Maybe my depression is the issue. I don't know anymore.i have told myself for so long that what i am feeling isn't withdraw, but i also became very skilled at making myself feel pain and other things to help give myself an excuse to take more pills when i was actively using... maybe i am making symptoms happen. I think to get through this that is what i might have to start convincing myself of...that any discomfort i feel isn't really there or is normal pregnancy stuff. I am almost there anyway.
The worst blow from today was realizing my OB really isn't "there" for me as much as the first and i think it is because of the suboxone. With my first he gave me a note that said they were to call him when i came in for labor even if he was not on call. This time he is supposed yo be on vacation feb20th,and i am due feb 28th, and i know they sometimes change their vacatiom dates for patients to work around their due dates. I brought up my concern of him not being there this time and he said even if he wasnt on vacation it really is 50/50 if he will be there or not, cuz sometimes he does weekend trips or what not, and they will just call the doctor that is on call anyway, so there is no garantees. And he said all of his colleagues are great. I didnt have the words to ask him why he would write me a personal note to give to the staff telling them to call him no matter what the first time, but not this time. I feel like he is still trying to just stick this out with me, but he doesn't want to be involved with or deal with the suboxone issue. And i do know they need vacations too.
I always loved him, trusted him so much, as a dr. Each time he came into my room last time things progressed. He calmed me. I feel like i just lost that dr in that he doesn't really want to treat me, but will cuz it is the right thing to do. He is still calling my doc and trying to get me a physciatrist though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am trying to move my conversation back over to this thread...we kind of took over another thread! That last thing posted on the other thread was this from HTOWN i believe:
"Sorry Vegimite-for taking over your thread!
Pregnant&lost- I would take the articles anyway-it might help show him how serious you are-like you put in all of this effort to back up your statements. Again, I would be very direct, very blunt and not accept any other answer than, "ok, we will put you on a higher dosage". Any other answer than that is not going to work. Tell him that you will keep running out early, not that you might or think that you will. He is a person like anyone else and you are doing what is right for you. You are doing well!! Is the doula going to call him? I agree with Pelican, don't let her lose sight of the main goal-a higher dosage, not switching to plain bupe. If it would help you, write what you will say down, either hand it to him in person or practice in a firm voice what you will say. Try not to use words like-might, maybe, etc. Show him that you have educated yourself on the subject and that you know what the hell you are talking about, because you most certainly do!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would print off the article's except i don't have a printer...i need to find one i can use. I will sometimes sneak and use my works printer for personal stuff but this is not something i want to risk printing at work. But i am going to try to get those printed and definitely will write or and practice what i am going to say..though i keto coming up blank and panic when i actually try to write out what i will say to him.
The counselor, Nikki, wasn't going to call my doctor...after i get the release of information filled out she wanted him to contact her after i spoke with him and leave her a voicemail with a time that would be best for him for her to contact him back....
I am getting scared he will not listen and might decide to drop me..i know this would be irrational but it sounds like there are docs who do that...and I am asking him to do something he is very uncomfortable with. I am thinking i might have to switch which i absolutely don't want to do...but even if he raises the dose now i am worried or trust between eachother might be broken. I am hoping Nikki will be able to help find me another doc, but she said in our area there is actually a shortage.
I have heard mention of teledoctors...is that a possibility for me? Can anyone help me with that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, I realized I'd been posting on the wrong thread for you! It's usually late when I log on and get to respond. So she wants your doctor to call her and tell her a good time for her to call him?? Did I confuse myself and read that wrong? I hear ya on printing that kind of stuff at work-is there a library you could use? I know all of this is way easier said than done, but you haven't given up yet. I don't think he would drop you, it would be VERY dangerous for you and the baby. Like not safe at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

She does want him to call her so he can specify a time that she would be able to reach him so she can set aside that time... she is actually hard to just call and get ahold of, because she doesn't have anyone who takes calls for her. She said she tried that but had too many instances where the person taking calls didn't treat her patients right (though it us frustrating not being able to reach anyone).but if she called him first not knowing what time is best to reach him, then he had to call her back she would most likely miss the call. So she said it is better if he gives a time she can call him. Idk... i am worried about that run around with her...we will see how it goes. Maybe i will ask him the best time for her to call him and just tell her so he doesn't have to call her. Lol.this is crazy. Who calls who?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

And for just an unrelated to the sub, pregnancy gripe... my freaking entire tailbone,butt,vagina region feels like it has been beaten repeatedly! My right leg feels all numb and tingly from it.it just feels nice to complain about a normal pregnancy thing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey P&L,

Agree w Htown in being direct and strong bc otherwise your Dr. will again discount/deny your request for more bup, maybe thinking its only the pregnancy hormones making you upset or its depression. Keep in mind Dr's can be worn down to accepting and acting on your point of view! Go for it. Keep trying and make the next appt count. Tell him you only need it for a short while. Marie has some good points to reuse in your bid for more bup. go thru your 2 -3 threads here and take wording from here to write down and practice. In your spare time, :shock:
I called your Dr. unknowing bc you are under the ceiling so why not give you more to cover? And yes, w a little reading he could learn pregnant females may need more bup and NAS is unrelated to dose.
Please print the articles out. I agree w avoiding printing at work. Some printers store recent print jobs. Besides Htown's good library idea. the larger Fedx and UPS, esp the 24 hr centers will print. Not sure how to print off your particular phone or device but check. During recent travel, the hotel printer failed but I brought my laptop to a local UPS who helped me print there.
I'd also suggest you be the one to set up the Dr/Doula call. I can't imagine any Dr w time to set up an appt her way. Too administrative. Dr's often have set times they return pt calls, see pharmacy reps or call other Dr's/providers/ins companies. Make it as easy on your Dr. as you can.
You asked on telemedicine, I only know of one person and goes to a concierge Dr. it is all private/self pay. Had to first be seen and evaluated. then skype appts w urine tests done at the lab Dr's choice. For ins coverage, check yours bc some ins plans now allow/offer telemedicine for some services but check if bup is one they include in that offer.
You are stronger than you can see. You are more courageous than you can feel. We see it. We feel it. Pelican

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:02 am 

Just to let you know, Pelican, I have 4 regular appointments and 8 video appointments a year. I usually get called into for a random UA and pill count twice a year. I downloaded something called the Hale Health app to my phone and I can both contact my doctor through the app and do a buprenorphine appt. I find it remarkably handy as my doctor is a half hour away with no traffic. Plus, if I need emergency pain relief for dental work, like I have recently, I just message him through the app and he gets back to me very quickly. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm bragging, because I know I'm extremely lucky to have this doctor. But I also think that buprenorphine visits may start trending this way. Only with patients who have already been proved to be stable, of course.

And to our OP, I would actually practice talking to the doctor before you even see him. If it helps you to write down some bullet points, definitely do so. But practice speaking in a level, confident tone while you're talking to your doc.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Amy, I have been going through ideas in my head but not chances to really write them out how i want to...but i took notes and stuff sort of and plan on skipping work and going to the library between dropping off my son sety preschool and going to the doc. Going to print out articles and come up with some quick reminder points for me to look at.

Last edited by Pregnant&Lost on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Pelican, i am definitely going to try and just set it up for them. Not have him call her. I can just a easily tell her the best time to reach him as he can. Thank you for your kind words. Being in this forum had seriously made all the difference for me! Wish i would have discovered it earlier. I hope to find time someday to write to others in the future who need support. It is so great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

As usual, all my worrying was not needed! After the long discussion my doc had with my OB he had a change in perspective. He asked what I thought I needed. And I said 5mg, minimum. So he did 6mg! He just asked that I really try to take only what is needed to prevent withdraw and cravings, and not take if i just feel anxiety or stress over issues like finances, etc. Or if i feel pain from being pregnant, etc. Went so much better. It helped that i was all put together,no tears and said i felt good. He didn't even look at the article's i printed. But oh well... got what i needed! Thank you all for the support!

Last edited by Pregnant&Lost on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congrats!!!!

That's absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!!

You should be very proud of yourself! It took lots of strength and courage to seek out help, research, and stand up for yourself. I know how scary it can feel....going against the grain....doing things you're uncomfortable with or that you've never done before. But, each time you stand up for yourself and advocate your needs you become a healthier and stronger YOU!

As a side note, you should consider taking only what you need. This way, you can begin stockpiling a bit of medication. It's just a nice safety net to have. You never know what the future may bring....long holiday wknd, low finances, unexpected future reduction, or post-partum pain.

We're all so very happy for you and proud of you!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am hoping I only need 4mg... but i think I need 5mg. But I will try 4mg. I am just not going to push myself right now... I just can't deal with any withdraw/cravings on top of the end of pregnancy discomfort, depression, anxiety.
But i do plan to follow through with how everything goes with delivery and baby after.

Last edited by Pregnant&Lost on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh my goodness!! You did it!!!! I'm so happy for you and proud of you!!!! If you had stopped and settled then you would have been miserable! YaY!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 am 

Oh Thank Goodness!!!!

I can't tell you how relieved I am for you!

I'm having a little joy party for you in my head! (No I'm not crazy)

And I also want to congratulate every person who has been here supporting our P & L Gal! Baby gal, and that's you OP, not your baby, I know I'm not the only person here who has fretted and worried over you. Wanting the best for you, hoping and praying for you. Wanting to give your Doc a swift kick, etc! I don't think there's ever been a new member who has ever gotten so much care and attention by so many people. And don't you worry, you deserved the care and attention! But those of us who have stayed with you during your journey here deserve major kudos as well. You guys have done a real service in kindness and compassion to our Baby Gal. Our wishes, hopes, prayers, and ideas for her have kept her depression from overwhelming her, and also might have influenced her medical professionals too! You guys deserve to feel relief and gratification from our Gal's result here. I'm proud to be a part of such a supportive and compassionate group.

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next