It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am currently 30 weeks 5 days pregnant. I am taking 8mg of sub 2x day. My OB knows what I am taking and I am seeing a high risk OB that deals with suboxone and pregnancy. I had a prenatal appointment on Tuesday morning and every time I go to this dr, I see a different dr or intern. I have had a very impersonal experience and THIS time, and only this time, did the dr tell me that they could possibly keep my son for FOUR weeks in the NICU bc of withdrawals. He was telling me all of this information like he was telling me the weather, cold, no concern for how I was reacting, and what upset me the most was that this was the FIRST time I had heard anything about keeping him in the NICU. I had my 2 year old daughter while on sub, I was taking less then, about 4mg a day, maybe 6. I had her at a different hospital under different care and they didn't keep her or pay any extra attention to her so this 4 week crap was news to me. I of course got extremely upset, crying at the thought of my newborn having withdrawals or going home without him. I decided to speak to a case worker (which made me feel more like a drug addict needing rehab than a suboxone patient who has been clean for over 2 years, minus sub) and she was telling me all of these things about NAS and the score chart.

Basically what I am wanting to know is how many other mothers out there had their baby kept from them and how many did not? The case worker told me it was a "wait and see" situation, that potentially he would not need any intervention and it would be okay. I just need someone who has been there to tell me their experience, good or bad. My husband is ALSO on suboxone and his family does NOT know that I am taking it, nor that I have a history with drugs. I am scared what is going to happen and how I will explain the baby being in the NICU for so long without them finding out. Please help!! ANY advice would be really appreciated!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and Welcome. Congratulations on the pregnancy. I hope you have had a chance to read other posts on the pregnancy section of this forum and seen that other new moms and babies have had good outcomes on Sub. I have not been through it myself but from what I have read here it seems the majority of new Sub moms either have had their babies come home with them, or the baby has had to stay for a couple of extra DAYS not weeks. Also please do a search on pregnancy on Dr. J's Talkzone blog, he has presented some reassuring information on Sub and pregnancy. If your baby does have to stay a little longer you are not obligated to tell the family about the Sub. Simply mention the symptoms the baby has that they may be monitoring, not the alleged cause. I think it's horrible the way medical "professionals" scare expectant moms. I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much. Just think of how much better off your baby is to be born to parents that are NOT in active addiction!

Good luck to you, and I hope others with more experience post.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have given birth to 2 children on Suboxone and 2 children on Subutex. ALL 4 CHILDREN WENT HOME WITH ME. :D Not a single kid ever had withdrawls. I was on 24mg a day. (3 8mg tabs a day). I was lucky to have an OB who gave me and my baby the benefit of the doubt. No NICU called....no CPS or social workers called. It was 100% normal.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did have a baby while on about 8 of Subutex that was held for 21 days in the special care nursery. This was the first Subutex baby delivered at the hospital. I was told before hand that they would want the baby to stay for 5 for observation. Right after delivery he was taken to the special care nursery. Their was a small patient lounge in their that they cleared out and made that his room. They wanted to keep him in an area that was quiet and dark. The first couple days were very scary and sad. They really didn't want any one to touch him or hold him. His NAS symptoms were he startled easily and had a little tremor. He also wasn't digesting his milk. He was put on an IV for fluids for the first 3 or 4 days. On day 3 he started crying in the middle of the night. The nursing staff wanted to start him on morphine. The Dr. didn't. The down side to the hospital we were at was the Dr. switched every 2 or 3 days. As soon as the Original Dr. was off call and a new doctor started my baby on morphine. My first child that I wasn't on anything with cried for months after she was born. The only time my son cried was after feedings. He also was hooked up to a monitoring system witch limited my ability to walk him around. It seemed that one Dr. after another would just pass on the same orders. Finally after 10 days we got a Dr. to make a plan to get our baby out. He made a plan to taper the morphine off a mg a day. But we ran in to obstacles with the nursing staff. The orders for morphine were X amount every 6 to 8 hours PRN. Well I use to be a RN and PRN is as needed. The nurses would give the morphine wether he needed it or not after the 8 hours. It seemed like we were in a constant battle. The doctors didn't believe me when I told them that the baby was getting morphine when he didn't need the morphine. Finally I got one to believe me when I told him that the nurse gave it to him while he was sleeping. The only sign of "NAS" he had was he cried after he ate and that was the only time he cried. They would hear him cry and they would come running with a needle. Our last 4 or 5 days their things started improving. We had a few great Doctors and Nurses on at all times. Some of the nurses were great, but others were very eager to give him the morphine. Finally we had another doctor on and I told her about his crying and she diagnosed him with GERD. After a few days of the medication for that he was great. After 21 days we were able to bring our son home. Every one told me that he was going to be so crabby, crying, and fussy. He was the Best baby I ever had. Once we were home he never made a another peep. We were lucky because they let me stay at the hospital. I stayed in a patients room and the baby stayed in nursery. I stayed with the baby all day until night time. I had them call me when he woke up and I went down to do the feedings. Being postpartum it did make it a very scary time. I was emotional. But everything worked out for the best.
Besides my husband, my parents, and my sister no one new about me being on suboxone prior to our baby being born. Fortunately every one was very supportive.
I did have a second baby on subutex. I was on 4 mg a day. I had tried very hard to get off of it before he was born. A week before he was born I quit taking it. On day 3 I did take 2 mg and day 4 I took 2 mg. I had nothing 3 days before he was born. We were at a different hospital this time. Because I had quit taking a few days before the hospital didn't have it in my chart. That day they were also switching over to electronic charting so every thing was new to the staff. The babies doctor never mentioned anything. We brought him home after 2 days. He was a little fussy, but NOT NEARLY as bad as my first child whom I had never even taken a tylenol with. I did keep a very close eye on him for symptoms of NAS. He did have a little tremor I thought. We kept him swaddled good and tried keeping the environment quiet and calm. But after 4 or 5 days that went away.
I hope every thing turns out for the best for you. If your baby is kept, try to stay involved in his care, ask questions, and voice your concerns.