It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey guys!
i am 35 weeks pregnant and have been on suboxone for about a year. my hubby is prescribed 24mgs per day and only takes about 6mgs, so i share his script with him. due to this fact i have never told my OB about my sub use. she also does not know about my drug history. at one point i thought i would tell her but decided (after reading many stories) that it would be better to not tell her becaUSE she may see my baby having NAS when he really doesn't just because she knows about my suboxone use. i have seen on here where many many babies turn out just fine! and i am praying that the same will happen for me. i have only read one story on here where the OB was not informed about the use. i would really appreciate some more stories from people who did NOT tell their OB's. and if you did tell your OB, was your baby kept for NAS? and if so, do you think that your baby truly did have NAS or were the Doctors just doing what they thought they should have done given the circumstance that the mother was on suboxone. i would grealty appreciate any feedback and shared stories! i need PRayers! also should i try to ween down? i am currently at 3-4 mgs a day, would it help to be off completely or on a lower dose?
TIA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:27 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I just responded to you in the other thread, but about weaning....If I were you I would taper down as low as you possibly can and still feel comfortable. Just so you won't have to worry about pain management since you won't be telling them you're on it. I hope you get some feedback from other moms who have been in your position also. Best of luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

cinnagirl-thanks so much again for the response. every little bit of advice is appreciated!
another member told me that she stayed on her regular dose throughout and just did not take her dose 24 hours prior to her delivery and she was just fine with the pain meds they gave her, i am wondering if anyone else has experience with that? sounds to me like the way to go if i am unable to be off completely by delivery time.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sk,

When I quit Suboxone, I panicked around the 13 hour mark and took 2 Lorcet (hydrocodone 7.5mg) and I felt those suckers kick in and ease my wd. I quit Suboxone from around 5mg per day. I see where you're at the 3 - 4mg mark, I would think, seeing as you're really on a low dose of Suboxone that 24 hours would give you enough time off of it to be able to get pain relief??

Good Luck and I hope everything turns out great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You need to tell the OB. If your baby is born and goes into wds and you didn't tell them it'll look pretty bad. Also, lets say they let you out and you bring baby home and thanks to subs long half life the wds don't kick in for a few days. How are you going to handle that? The baby will need immediate medical care if he/she starts going into wds. Seriously, tell your OB. You'll be respected much more by coming clean and then he knows what might happen then to blindside them and have them find out the hard way. I don't mean to be harsh but this is serious. Do the right thing and tell your doc so your baby can be helped if he/she needs it. Don't roll the dice on your kids health. Make the first selfless decision of many you'll make as a mother and tell them!! Another point is if the baby does end up having NAS and you didn't say anything they will know you intentionally held back vital information and could call CPS. Best of luck and I hope you do the right thing..