It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

105 days no percs/vikes
88 days no Subs

Feeling groovy everyone. I've made it very far, I'm encouraged by how I've felt. No more pain, been working out and walking a lot. No more mental cravings. I can talk about and think about it and laugh and still shake my head in amazement that I wasted so much of my life on drugs.

I've noticed that sleep has become much more resting and relaxing the last 2-3 weeks. I woke up at 10am yesterday and 1030 am today and slept like 9.5 hours each night. I've heard when you use opiates like I did it takes around 90 days or so for it to get completely out of you system. If that's the case, then I must be getting good, natural sleep because I'm at 15 weeks today off percs.

I'm probably moving on to the bupe in the rearview section because Subs don't even get factored in for me anymore. At lest in my mind, anyway. I know it was used to combat my withdrawals and that's how I did it and I accepted that. THe only way I'd get them now is to help someone else kick opiates like I have.

I went to a wedding this past weekend, got drunk, had a great time, remembered what a beer tasted like, etc. It's been so long since I did that, because normally I'd be pilled to death, drink one beer, and feel like complete shit. And I used to be able to bang out a half a case a night in my college days. It felt so freeing to drink and actually enjoy it again.

I'm enthralled with normalcy. I'm immersed in simplicity. I'm convinced of tranquility.

But, it doesn't mean I don't remember what you all are going through. It's not a piece of cake, no doubt. But it goes away when you let it.

I know you can do it! If I can, you can. Just give it a shot. Don't give in!!

CHARLIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man. Congrats on your speedy recovery. Sounds like you're doing really well and firmly have that lifestyle behind you.

I'm assuming by your timeline you were only on Sub 20 or so days and did a short term sub-aided detox? If that's the case it makes some sense that your PAWS hasn't dragged on too long. Myself and others in NA found that the duration of withdrawal and PAWS from Sub depends a lot on how long you stay on it. I think it might have something to do with the "stacking effect", and that the longer we stay on long-acting opioids like methadone and buprenorphine, the more accumulates in the fatty tissues and thus the longer the withdrawal process. It also explains why people who've only been on Sub 1-2 weeks can get away with a very rapid taper, while those who've been on it months or more cannot.

Keep it up ... it really heartening to hear someone do well and please stick around on the forum, as people doing well post-sub gives members a lot of hope, myself included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 am 

Congratulations, Charlie! I hadn't checked up on you in a few weeks and it's great to hear how well you're doing! TeeJay is right. It's wonderful to have an example of someone who has successfully tapered off sub and has stuck around to tell us about it! I do tend to worry that my own tapering off will be more difficult than your experience, since I've been on sub for a little more than a year now, but I'll just try to take it as it comes.

Again, thanks for the update! I, too, think you're ready to "graduate" to Bup in the Rearview Mirror.

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey seaonasdad,

I was just thinking of you the other day, wondering how you were. Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear you're doing well!!

You sound positively positive and that's awesome!!