It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 3 weeks off subs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone,

Today was day 22 for me off Suboxone. The rough beginning was well worth the end result, as everyone assured it would be. Every day after day 18 seemed to get better and better for me. Yesterday night was my first time at work in 3 weeks. I was nervous, as not everyone there knew why I had lef. My addiction was never a secret, if anything I am pretty open to questions Inget from my employees, as we are a tight knit group. First day back went amazing, chef made me filet minion with lobster tail, I then ate a Seafood pasta dish, and after that Apple Strudel with ice cream. My appetite is out of control. 21 days ago I weighed 124lb. I am a young 6'4" male, and should be rouphly 190-200. As of now I have gained 15 lbs in just over a week. 3 hours into my shift my legs got pretty tired, and my energy was REALLY low at the very end. I made it through, and felt invigorated, self accomplished.

Tonight was day two. Normally my day off, I volunteered to work as my absence meant other staff covering all my shifts, I felt it was the right thing to do, plus I just wanted to get back into the swing of things. Tonight, again I ate three full dinners plus dessert and still hungry!

Many people talk about highs and lows of PAWS. I am only having the highs for the past week. I am continuing my rigerous workouts, eating like crazy, drinking a gallon of water a day, and am now only taking multi vitamin and protein/amino supplement pre and post workouts.

My question is...What should I be aware of in the future. I am not really sure what to expect from PAWS. I still have fits of sneezes (always followed by a yawn) and sometimes I get chills, but really that is it. Can anyone shed some light on this? I hope to continue getting better and just want to be prepared for worst case senerio. I havent had this much clean time since I was 13. It truly is a wonderful feeling.

Prodigy

Post subject: Re: 3 weeks off subs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Every single person is different, as I'm sure you know.. but I will share my experience. Like you, I experienced mostly only good/ highs in the beginning (5 months..) Sure, I had annoying symptoms that lasted forever, like, chills, sneezing, yawning, restlessness.. but mentally I was on top of the world. The accomplishment of getting off suboxone after being dependent on some form of something, for so long, was a high like no other. About 5 months off suboxone is when I felt a real difference between highs and lows. Real life started to set in and I found myself getting frustrated and angry, very easily. Normal life challenges were hard to handle for a short period but I got through it. Once the high of getting off suboxone wears off a bit, you just need to stay vigilant about keeping things into perspective. Remember your goals and what you're working towards, even on hard days when things don't all go your way.

That's my advice. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

@TD

Thank you for the reply, I am aware that everyone is different, I just dont want to be caught off guard when/if it comes. For now I am finally enjoying life again, and even if its 5 months, that is something I have never had. It sounds like getting lax, forgetting this point in my life is what can kick my own ass. I sincerely hope I stick with this new routine. I like it much more than my previous...I read the sticky by Tj on PAWS, but I dont really understand. Is it something like a full return of WD out of nowhere as some say, or just difficult days that sneak up? I just would like to know more...I will do more digging into old posts, but would appreciate anybodys input.

Prodigy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I just wanted to step in here real quick and say CONGRATS!!! I can't really give you any advice on what's to come because I'm still active on taking the subs. I just recently started to taper and I am READY.. I feel like I always say that but honestly I am just tired of it. Anywho can't really give advice but just so you know that is AWESOME!! 22 Days is a big accomplisment and I wish you the best in your continued journey!!!

"At first they will ask you why you are doing it? Then they'll ask you how you did it"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey SP,

PAWS is usually a continuation of acute wd. Acute gradually turns into PAWS. PAWS is kind of like wd-light. A lot of the wd symptoms are present, they're just muted a good bit.

From what I'm reading from your posts, you're not in PAWS and I'm thinking you won't get PAWS. We've had many members here, over the years, who quit Suboxone and suffered no PAWS at all. Most of them usually are in good physical condition and/or young.

I think what TD is talking about is "living without drugs." Learning to live without drugs and be happy can be a challenge, but it's technically not PAWS, as TJ points out in his post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo, I really appreciate your feedback. I am happy to hear that paws may not happen, I didnt realize it was avoidable. I am pushin on, pushin through, every few days I get stronger and more active. Physically and mentally, I am transforming. Even just four weeks in, it still amazez me just how drastic the change is. Romeo, I thank you again, I feel even more hope!

Prodigy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I remember when I quit Suboxone, I didn't understand PAWS either. I searched and searched and seemed to get more confused as I searched. TJ's post that you stumbled on explains how PAWS (Post Acute Wd Syndrome) is sometimes confused with simply learning how to live without drugs. I think these two separate principles, PAWS and living without drugs, is where a lot of the confusion with PAWS lies.

In my experience, PAWS is wd. The symptoms are very similar to acute wd, but like I said earlier, the symptoms are quite a bit weaker, but still annoying as hell because they seem to last so long.

Living without drugs is more like what Tinydancer said. Getting pissed really easy. Not dealing with our emotions very well, etc. IMO, these behaviors are due to our previous drug use in so much as we numbed ourselves out to our feelings and emotions while using drugs. Well, negative feelings, anyway. After we quit drugs, especially if we were on them quite a long time, we addicts usually have to learn how to live with those negative emotions without using.

I was going to post this ^^^^ additional info in my earlier post, but I had to scoot and pick my daughter up from school, so you got the condensed version.

BTW, I had sneezing fits for a good while after quitting Suboxone, too. So many of them seemed to happen while I had a mouthful of food. GAH!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually Romeo, I believe I am also talking about PAWS, which can be very mental. Not just physical symptoms that follow the more severe acute withdrawal period. I believe it takes your brain a while to fully adjust after so long on opiates, and mine was straight wigging out for the first year. It really took me a good 5 months to hit the lows, tho. Anyway, I just googled the description of paws:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-acu ... l_syndrome