It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 3 weeks off Suboxone!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In in attempt to be brief, I will summarize my history with suboxone. After years of struggling with drug addiction I went on suboxone mid Febuary 2009 after many unsuccessful attempts at to stop a 240-300mg/per day Oxycontin addiction (not to mention a 7 year consecutive marijuana habit, and a love affair with cocaine and xanax). After doing some research for myself I decided to join an outpatient addiction treatment center which provided a strict suboxone program that required frequent drug testing and group/ individual addiction counseling.
In addition, for those who may find my username (savedbysuboxone) to be cliche I would respectively disagree. Without the help of my outpatient addiction treatment program, the support and guidance of my counselor, and usage of suboxone maintenance to break my insane Oxycontin habit I would truly would not be here today. I can say that the suboxone program saved my life literally and metaphorically. Without my suboxone program I would have continued to deal mass quantities of Oxycontin to support my addiction, which inevitably would have lead to me being throw in prison for all the federal offenses I committed on a daily basis, OR I would be dead from either a high dollar drug deal gone wrong OR (more likely) dead from a lethal overdose and/or negative interaction from my favorite combination of cocaine, oxycontin, and xanax.
As a defeated, depressed, and disheartened man I began my suboxone program mid Feb 2009. Immediately I began seeing the results of my new path free of illegal substances. My grades in college skyrocketed, over time I cut ties with all my drug dealing/ using buddies, in turn surrounded myself with successful and proactive people, and my relationship with my family became better than ever.
After, nearly a year and a half of suboxone maintenance and gradual tapering I decided on July 19th 2010 to take my last dose of suboxone. Well it has been 3 weeks to the day and I feel amazing. I sleep great every night, I have lost weight, my stomach has returned to regularity, I no longer experience dry mouth, I have tons of energy, and I have an increasingly positive outlook on life. Furthermore, my relationships with my friends have begun developing farther than I have imagined, and my sense of adventure and love to travel has been rekindled. In the past two weeks alone, I have traveled to the mountains and gone canoeing and hiking with my family one weekend, and the next traveled to the beach and accompanied a close friend to a beautiful wedding.
This whole experience has made me realize how limitless my life can continue on to be in recovery. Successful people have always remarked about how the adversity in their lives is what has truly defined them. Now more then ever, I can understand that after fighting through my addiction and keeping my head up during seemingly the lowest point in my life, that my persistence in recovery is defining me. In all honesty, after dealing with the hell most of us have been through and looking back on it, I feel as though I could tough my way through about anything. Not in the "I am invincible" sense but more of the sense that I know I have the inner strength to meet and overcome any obstacles in my future.
In conclusion, I mainly hope that my story and my thoughts can be an inspiration to anybody out there who thinks their addiction is beyond help, or anybody on suboxone maintenance that is reluctant to taper or attempt coming off all together. YOU CAN DO THIS, no it won't be easy, but god it will it be worth it. You have no idea how much you can grow from and after this experience. If you are ever overwhelmed by the thought of long term recovery, just remember to stay focused on being sober for today.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding my tapering method, or my experiences without suboxone in the past 3 weeks I would be glad to respond to any questions or comments. Also, PLEASE DO NOT scare yourself out of tapering or quitting by reading all of the withdrawal 'horror' stories that are so damn prevalent. I would love to be a source of inspiration and clarification for those who are reluctant to become totally dependence (no offense to suboxone) free. Do yourself a favor and focus your attention on the advice from those who have have been successful in their recovery for example: moderators, or addiction counselors in recovery themselves.

Thanks for listening. Best of luck.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters in comparison to what lies within us"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by savedbysuboxone on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What a terrific story! Thanks for sharing it with us. You're an excellent example of successful suboxone treatment. I'm very happy for you and hope you continue to do well. For me, I probably will stay on sub for a really long time, not because I fear tapering off, but because it's my only remaining option to help try to address my chronic pain. But I respect others' need to eventually get off sub and move into abstinence-based recovery. Thanks again for sharing, and please do stick around.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the comment hatmaker...I apologize if I was at all offensive towards those successfully using suboxone for pain management. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with that specifically, but do understand that it can be a great alternative to the usage of full agonists. Thanks for your time and support of the people who reach out to this forum for help.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gosh, no, you weren't offensive in the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:24 pm 
Hi saved,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting your positive experience. That is a truly awesome story.

You are a great example of how suboxone can be used to save lives. I believe suboxone is literally saving my life too. I could have been in jail or dead. For me, I had to get my self in that position before I was ready to take a look at what I was doing to myself.

I have only been on suboxone for a short time, and I have no desire to stop at this point. I picture myself maybe stopping in the future, I am just not sure.

My question is, did you or do you currently use AA/NA or any other type of meetings? I am attending AA meetings and I believe these are also helping me learn to live the way I want to.

Thanks again saved, I hope to see you posting again! Kire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I can really relate to how you feel, even though I'm not exactly at three weeks out, I think it's more like 14 days? But omg, I am so amazed at how I feel mentally. I feel happy, I feel like I want adventure back in my life, I desire again, everything. I've read a lot of horror stories about tapering or stopping and I was so scared, I crumbled on day 5 during my first attempt, I believe in my mind I thought, well this is it, this is life without subs, and it scared me to death. I felt ready but I felt too scared of the w/d's to do it. I finally got online and started researching and researching what others who came off successfully went through and discovered the light at the end of the tunnel and at that point I was just ready to get it behind me so I jumped at 4mgs. It wasn't easy, it seldom is, I just knew that no matter what, even if it took three months I was going to pull back the layers until I could see what was left of me in the end and I'm overwhelming happy to know I'm still here! I'm slowing getting back to LIFE! I was having a hard time on subs, I was one of the people who suffer from extreme depression while on the bup and it was so bad, I wasn't living anymore, I lost interest in everything that made me who I thought I was. My horses (I always bring them up), that I've always loved so much have to be retrained to be rode because of my lack of interest in them during my sub treatment, and this was not the case during my opiate abuse, I still loved my horses and rode all the time during that point, it was the sub, it was a bad reaction I guess. But thats just part of it, the bigger part was my marriage and my kids, they have suffered way more, through it all, opiate abuse too. I'm just so happy to being doing the things I enjoy again, nothing else really matters. The past is over, the future hasn't happened yet, the only time is RIGHT NOW! And that's how I'm living, moment by moment, day by day.
I think I read you started your treatment in Feb/09, ME TOO! and I quit on July 25, 2010.
I'm happy to hear your story, I love to read success stories they just inspire me and make me feel so much better!
Best of luck with your sobriety!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Kire,

Thanks for listening to my story. And I hope I can provide a decent answer to your question. Upon entering my outpatient addiction treatment center I was required to attend weekly group counseling sessions along with mandatory drug testing in order to stay in the program. I attended those meetings for the entirety of the time (approx 1 1/2 yrs) I was in the suboxone program (recently graduated). It is my opinion that those meetings provide us a safe and supportive way to vent/ express all of our emotions related with the recovery process. In fact, I believe one of the largest problems with acquiring suboxone outside of a treatment center (besides the fact its illegal) is the lack of a support system for someone in recovery. For me, being able to talk freely, with minimal judgement as to how I had become an addict including the illegal/ immoral actions I made was invaluable. As cliche as it sounds, I felt like my conscience was lighter every time I left my group counseling sessions, I eventually began looking forward towards the weekly meetings. Furthermore, there something so great about having the ability to talk with people who have endured and are enduring the same pain/ struggle that you are experiencing. That is why forums like this, NA/AA meetings, and group or individual counseling, are such great places for us to come for support and advice on how to live a healthy life in recovery. In conclusion, I believe you are doing such a great thing for yourself by attending AA meetings. Furthermore, reaching out to (non-using) friends and family that you can trust to understand is another excellent way to build your support network and lead a fulfilling life in recovery. You are on the right track, don't rush into tapering because timing is crucial. Best of luck with your recovery, please feel free to contact me at any time with absolutely any questions you may have for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Saved - you've offered a great description of why therapy/counseling is so important as an adjunct to sub treatment. It's a shame more people aren't in such programs. So many of us just have a sub doctor and are left to our own devices. Personally, I have an individual therapist and a marriage counselor and I agree that the experience is invaluable to one's recovery. Thanks for taking the time to discuss how valuable your counseling was to your recovery. I hope anyone who's not in such therapy reads this and will consider it. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:36 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top because I think it is so uplifting to those of us trying to taper and move forward to a life without Sub.
I like the "non-judgemental" attitude...if you are electing to stay on Subs, by all means, do it! But, if you feel the time is right to taper, then do it!

As I've said before, I thought I would be on them forever for pain management....but now, find a time in my life where I think I can do without them. And boy, do I need these good encouraging messages...especially on days like today where I am very emotional and teary-eyed. Comes with the territory, doesn't it?
"This too, shall pass" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for bumping this. I certainly need to hear these stories more often. It definitely makes me think it could be possible for me at some point anyway.

Jack

- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this thread is old, but I like it & its worth the read. For me, it's nice to finally be done. After about a year on subs I did a very slow taper. I quit at a very low dose about a month ago. The taper was manageable, & the final jump was easier than the taper.