It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am 35 weeks pregnant. I have been taking subutex/suboxone for a year and a half. At the time that I found out I was pregnant I was taking 2mg a day. I tapered down and at 29 weeks I stopped taking the subutex all together for 7 days. The 7 days were very mild withdrawal.But i hate withdrawal of any kind and mostly it has to do with mental shit more than anything. after 7 days, I started taking a very very smal amount each day of subutex (crumbs) just enough to make me not want to crawl up the walls. I know am out and I cannot get more (nor do I want to). My physical withdrawals are super mild right now (I am at day 2 just). My question is, and I am not sure if anyone with medical knowledge posts on this forum topic, Will my unborn baby be safe and be born clean of buprenorphine? And, how long will it stay in my system? If I have to take a ua at 37 weeks will it be gone?

Cheers,
and thank you all.
I wish I had found this forum the first time around.

49 stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome, I'm not a medical professional, but I can say that several women posting here have had healthy babies after being on Sub throughout most or all of their pregnancies. About the Sub being in your system: it's my understanding that it takes 6 half lives for a drug to leave your system completely. So for Sub at an average h.l. of 36 hours it comes out to about 9 days. (I don't even know if that calculation is accurate, because it doesn't account for what might be built up in your system, which for you wouldn't be much anyway) So, it should be out of your system well within 2 weeks. Standard ua's don't test for bupe anyway. I wish you luck with the rest of the pregnancy and birth. Feel free to keep posting and share your experience of getting off/ being off of Sub. There are a lot of folks here interested in that information.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject: Thanx for the post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can you give us an update, pretty please? I am planning on quitting sub around the same time. How does everything go? How are you and baby? Are u completely off? Thank you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: everything went well
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

baby was born a few days ago in an unmedicated birth. he is grand and mama is grand; all that fretting was over nothing. I think most of it was hormonal. Its like the sub doc has said, it's not the physical withdrawal that's difficult from dupe (at my low dose), it's the mental aspects-the anxiety, depression, etc. and babies don't get that part as they are not addicts. good luck, I will post more details at a later date when I don't have a precious baby sleeping in my lap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

49 stars said, "it's not the physical withdrawal that's difficult from bupe (at my low dose), it's the mental aspects-the anxiety, depression, etc. and babies don't get that part as they are not addicts."

That's a fascinating way to look at it, babies don't get the anxiety/depression because they're not addicts, I never thought about it like that before.

I wonder if that realization may be able to help some of our current members who are experiencing anxiety/depression as they taper off of Suboxone? As addicts, we tend to obsess over anything and everything, I'm sure my obsessive nature made my wd worse. BTW, I agree, the physical aspects of Suboxone wd are tolerable, it's the mental aspects that can be so difficult.

Another member, named Jenzo, made a point to not obsess over her dose and it seemed to help her a lot. I wonder if some of the folks who are having those issues could somehow train their brains to not be so obsessive in those regards, would they have an easier go of it??

I'm just kinda thinking out loud here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I believe Dr. Junig also said that newborns don't even have the neural pathways yet to even feel the "mental" aspects of withdrawal. It's in one of his posts regarding bupe and pregnancy. Check it out if you haven't read it yet.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.