It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi All.
As you know from previous post, I am adopting a baby from a mom who I has a history of opioid addiction. She has been on suboxone off and on through the pregnancy. I just found out in the last 2 weeks. Thanks to all for the encouraging comments from my previous post.
We have now been admitted to the hospital at 36 weeks for pre- eclampsia. We will be there until our due date. They have now decided to put her on 10 mg of Methodone every 6 hours to ease her symptoms. She took her last suboxone 10 days ago.
This now worries me more. I can't figure out why the MD would want the baby to have w/d from Methodone. I feel like I have no voice as the adoptive mother and the one who will be responsible for this child. I know its for the best interest of BM and baby but once again I feel defeated.

Blessing to all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There may be a logical reason to change to methadone, but if there is, I'm not aware of it... but perhaps the OB is more familiar with methadone.

I gave a talk to midwives, nurses, and social workers from several counties, about babies born to mothers on opioids. To prepare I did a lengthy search of the literature, looking for the effects on those babies, as they grew through childhood. Without exception, there were NO studies that found any long-term effects on cognition, development, or personality when corrected for other variables.

The results surprised me; I expected there to be some minor effect, for example a slight increase in ADD or hyperactivity.... but when corrected for smoking, prematurity, and other variables there were no differences in the opioid group--- not from methadone, buprenorphine, or any other opioids.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you suboxdoc! !!!.
I believe you are correct about them being unfamiliar with suboxone. They are aware of the drug but dont think they perscribe it. That's why she was switched to methadone. Thanks for the info, It's very encouraging.
Blessings

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi A-mom,
This might also put your mind a bit at ease; I was dependent on a rather high level of oxycontin during the first months of my first pregnancy and medically tapered using hydrocondone.
Today I have a perfectly normal (well, as a proud mama I'd even say "above average") 12 year old son. He has never (knock wood) had any emotional or physical problems, is in advanced classes at school, scores very high on standardized tests and is one of the lights of my life!
When I was pregnant with him though and fighting like hell to get clean and stable before his birth, during the "educational" part of my rehab one day they brought in a mom who had done various cocktails of drugs during her pregnancy (can't remember exactly, but I think it included crack and a few other non-opiates). She had given birth to a baby with major birth defects and was I guess supposed to be giving us some kind of "warning/pep talk". She said she just had to 'live with' her consequences.....yeah, that was not helpful to me at ALL at the time with my huge belly and no turning back- it just scared and depressed me even more! Wish I would have had a Dr. Junig there to give ME the facts! Sad how some in the medical community can be so ignorant and un-compassionate!
Best of luck to you and congratulations! You are gonna love being a mommy!
:D BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A-Mom,
My hx: OB/NICU RN
They will put the Mom on Methadone to keep the baby from having the same withdrawl symptoms she's having. We want the baby out of pain/suffering in utero.
Methadone is the drug of choice for this issue (most of the time).
Your baby will have a bit of a stay in the NICU most likely (who knows, every baby is different with this) but just until the neonatologist can be sure the babiy is not having significant withdrawl symptoms.
You should know that here (Midwest) babies can NAS score anything below 8's usually and not be treated with meds and our usual observation time is 5-7 days. If the baby needs meds the stay will be longer but depending what the baby shows us we are fairly aggressive with our weaning program, again we watch the baby and follow its lead as to what it needs.
I've seen alot of babies post NAS and they are all beautiful, can't think of any literature I've read that links specifically with any issues post withdrawl protoccal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to send you some encouragement. I was on Methadone with my last pregnancy. I delivered at a pretty high dose of 125mg per day. I was extremely scared that baby would be in withdrawals but she wasn't. She was born a few weeks early, and we stayed at the hospital for 5 days because she had jaundice and was a little slow to feed. Breastfeeding didn't work out for us. I was probably worse than the nurses at looking for withdrawals, but she was fine. And now I wish I could post her picture. She is in the "terrific twos" and is such a joy in my life. She is happy, healthy, and a big ball of fun!

Good luck on your new blessing!