It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:36 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I started taking subutex six days ago and want to stop it now. I tried suboxone a week before and it was making me sick so he switched me to subutex. I took 4mg for five days and only 3mg today. I only took the suboxone for six days then skipped five days and started taking subutex and now on my sixth day. I don't want to be on anything. I got of pain killers at around 30weeks when I started the suboxone, but like I said it made me sick, then went a few days without anything and the dr started me on subutex, can't I just stop CT?? When I did my stomack got all tight and i had so much anxiety it was horrible. I really haven't been on this drug long at all but I know that after about three days the anxiety comes and my belly gets so tight? Should I wean down rapidly? I could do 2mg for two days then 1mg for 3 then stop, then that would be a total of 10days on the drug all together. I just want to be clean when the baby is born

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:08 pm 
Hi Kris and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having a rough time.
You haven't given much information here, so it's kind of hard to give you a real sound reply. But I'll give you what I can.
First of all, I am not a doctor or an expert regarding Suboxone or Subutex. I was an RN for many years and I specialized in women's health and have a lot of OB experience. First of all, I cannot stress to you enough that you need to be under the care of good obstetrician, preferably with a perinatologist (high risk OB) at least consulting on your case. You also should be under the care of a good Sub doctor. You said you were started on Suboxone. That concerns me because you probably should have been started on Subutex as it is preferred over Suboxone in pregnancy. Your doctor should have known this and prescribed it from the beginning. You said you were 30 weeks pregnant at that time, so I'm assuming the doctor knew you were pregnant!
Another thing that bothers me is that you mentioned something about your "stomach getting tight." A lot of women feel contractions as "tightening." You're 34 weeks so there's a good chance that what you are feeling are contractions. A few mostly painless contractions (Braxton Hicks) can be normal at this gestation. But it's also quite possible that you could have premature labor, a condition that needs to be identified and treated, to avoid delivering a baby at 34 weeks (full term being 40 weeks.)
Beyond all that.....you're apparently an opiate addict and I'm assuming you've been taking pain pills throughout your entire pregnancy until 3 or 4 weeks ago. That obviously carries risk for you and your baby. It sounds like you know this and that you're trying to get help. Good for you! It's really hard to ask for help. I imagine that's especially so with you being pregnant. Here's the thing....From what I understand you will be putting yourself and your baby at even more risk if you stop all opiates including Subutex during pregnancy. I understand you wanting to be off everything before baby is born. But quite simply, there is no safe way for you do to that. It will be safer to continue on Subutex under the supervision of your doctors until after you have the baby. Please read more on the forum about this. Several pregnant women have posted here and with few exceptions, will tell you that everything went well for them and their babies even though they were on Subutex.
Please reconsider trying to go off Subutex and please see your doctor about the "tightening" you've been having.
Keep in touch with us and let us help you any way we can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:23 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I started to use pain pills at 20weeks preggo, used for 10 weeks and seeked help at 30weeks. The sub dr put me on suboxone and the OB cleared that med. He is not a high risk OB either. After a six days on suboxone I stopped because I was sick, relasped and then went back to the sub dr and he put me on subutex and this is my sixth day. I am on 4mg. The tightening happened when I tried to stop CT. I went three days and that happened on the third day and then when I took 4mg, an hour later I was fine, anxiety left. What if they take my baby away if it has w/d , can they do that even though the OB cleared the med and the sub dr gave it to me????

Also, will the baby be ok from the use of pain meds for 10 weeks, i was taking about 30-40mg of percocet a day sometimes less :( I am such a loser.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi kris,
First of all you are not a loser. You're in a tough spot and you're seeking help. There are many other ways you could have gone, but you chose recovery. Please focus on that and don't beat yourself up.

Setmefree gave you some great advice. I cannot add anything to that and won't even try.

I would like, however, to refer you to a blog entry that the doctor here posted not too long ago. It's about withdrawal in newborns and addresses some truths on the subject. Here's the link: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/?p=1769

Take care and please keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.