It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've only been on Suboxone 2 weeks, and I'm already sick of it, period. I'm on 12mg a day and it is helping because I don't even think about using anymore, but I really don't think I can go much longer taking this shit. I really cannot explain in detail why I feel this way, because I'm not sure. I just have the feeling that I shouldn't be doing this. It's almost like a guilty conscience.

My question is how should I go about getting off Suboxone? I think starting Monday I will jump down to 8mg a day. Stay there a week, then jump down another 4mg. Then 2mg, then get away Suboxone! I just hope it doesn't already have a hold on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi nomore and welcome. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way about your new addiction treatment. I can tell you many of us when we started suboxone had feelings about giving up our regular opiates. It's not that easy to do! Just because we know we need to make a change doesn't make it easy. Is it possible that you're resisting because you're afraid of coping with life without the pills? If so, this is nothing to be ashamed of. We've all been through it. It's something we simply have to face and get through it. And trust me - you can get through this.

That said, it's obviously still your decision. If you still decide to go off sub, my first question would be how long were you on your DOC? It's not that you'll just be going off the sub - think of it this way - you'll be using the sub to taper off your DOC.

I would suggest that you taper off the sub slower than how you suggested. You should be able to go from 12 to 8 fairly easily and then down to 6 and then to 4, again, fairly easily, but give yourself a week or two between drops. From 4 mg down, you'll need to give yourself more time between drops and make SMALLER drops. Otherwise, you're going to feel much more in the way of withdrawal symptoms.

I would urge you to rethink this before you completely decide to stop the sub though. Think about the dead end that active addiction is. Think about how dangerous relapsing can be. What has changed?

I wish you the very best and if we can help you to talk any of this through, we will be happy to.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Nomore,

I can understand your thoughts. Lots of people hate the idea of being on pharmacotherapy. It's the same feelings that make people call methadone 'liquid handcuffs'. Sometimes I still question the whole 'drug replacement' idea. Before you make a quick decision though, try and figure out why you want off. Really question hard why you're wanting to do, cos your reason will be the difference between getting off opiates completely, and ending up @*#&'d up in addiction.

If you know in your heart of hearts that you don't want to use anymore, and the thought of using makes you sick to your core, then imo taper off before you get more dependent. If you start a fairly rapid taper now, you'd almost be doing a long Suboxone assisted detox off your drug of choice. I had done a couple of them, where I was given a tapering dose of Suboxone over 7 days to get off heroin. Cruisiest detoxes ever. But you've been on 12mg for two weeks which is a bit longer, so I'd suggest tapering a bit slower. Like hat said, aim to get down to four, then take your time.

If you have any niggling doubts whatsoever or feelings that you might wanna use after you get off, then stay on Subox, and save yourself the pain. And believe me, most people still want to use, even if they don't recognise it. I was one of them for too long :lol:

It would be tragedy for you to end up dependent on Suboxone if you didn't really need it. But if you've found yourself on Suboxone, you're likely on it for a reason!

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:02 pm 
NoMore10 wrote:
My question is how should I go about getting off Suboxone? I think starting Monday I will jump down to 8mg a day. Stay there a week, then jump down another 4mg. Then 2mg, then get away Suboxone! I just hope it doesn't already have a hold on me.

Unless you just want to get high, I suggest not being too hasty with completely giving up Suboxone.

I do suggest you taper your dosage. If you've only been on it two weeks you can use a fast taper. I would jump 2 mg every
2-3 days until you reached 4 mg. That is considered to be the lowest dose which will definitely block you from getting high. If you are sure you really don't just wanna get high, then I would recommend taking 1-2 mg/day and seeing if it helps you. That is the dosage range in which I personally feel comfortable, and supposedly there is some down-regulation of the opiate receptors at that dosage.

It can be a pain in the ass though, breaking up the pills. I am thinking of doing the liquid thing I have heard about here, or going up to 1.5 mg/day, because 1.25 is a real pain in the ass and I worry about how much Sub I am really absorbing. I use those little 2 mg Roxane bupe tablets, this may be less of a problem with Suboxone.