It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking suboxone for about 5 years now...and I've wanted to be done for just about the same amount of time. Nothing has ever been so hard! I am 31 weeks pregnant, and down to about 1.5-2 mg subutex. For some reason, I cant seem to get any lower than 1.5mg. No matter how long I wean, or wait, I just cant get off this stuff!! Is my baby going to be ok? I cant bear to think that she might suffer from NAS. My poor innocent child shouldnt have to suffer because of what I do! I am so worried...and frustrated! I feel like I am going to be on this stuff for the rest of my life! :( Its impossible to get off of!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Long-term effects on Suboxone?

prodigy wrote:
Hello all: I'm new here and was just doing some research about Suboxone and pregnancy. I am fairly worried and I know that you're supposed to switch to Subutex while pregnant, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Suboxone was still about just as safe as Subutex during pregnancy? I would assume it was, reading a lot of the great, inspiring success stories. I just see a lot of stuff people post elsewhere on the internet, some being that Suboxone is linked with SIDS? I wouldn't think this to be true, since causes of SIDS is so unknown, but I heard it would increase the risk of it and I hear a lot of talk of people who know others losing a child on Suboxone. Also I was just wondering if Suboxone has any known long-term effects on a baby if you take it during your pregnancy? I see it is a very narrow topic, since Suboxone hasn't been studied too broadly for pregnancy but is there anyone here with a child more than a year who is perfectly healthy with no problems ?

LADDERTIPPERs REPLY
Yes, my daughter is 4.5 and she's completely fine. She was a Sub baby, but I did switch to Subutex very soon after learning I was pregnant. When I delivered her, I was on 3 mg of Subutex and she had no withdrawals or any observable effects from the Sub. My doctors all knew about the situation and guided me through it. She stayed in the hospital 5 days, since that's how long I stayed (c-section). She's my third child, and she was no more or less difficult or uncomfortable than my first two.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

momma30 wrote:
I have been taking suboxone for about 5 years now...and I've wanted to be done for just about the same amount of time. Nothing has ever been so hard! I am 31 weeks pregnant, and down to about 1.5-2 mg subutex. For some reason, I cant seem to get any lower than 1.5mg. No matter how long I wean, or wait, I just cant get off this stuff!! Is my baby going to be ok? I cant bear to think that she might suffer from NAS. My poor innocent child shouldnt have to suffer because of what I do! I am so worried...and frustrated! I feel like I am going to be on this stuff for the rest of my life! :( Its impossible to get off of!

momma30

If you're this far into your pregnancy and are that low in your sub dosage, I'd suggest (but I'm no doctor, this is based on my 3.5 years' knowledge of suboxone) that you do NOT try to lower your dose anymore - there's too much risk to the fetus at this time. Many women have delivered at doses like yours and MUCH HIGHER and have delivered healthy babies with no hint of NAS. You just never know if a newborn will have it or not. I'd advise you to read the several blog entries by Dr. Junig on his blog. Go to the top of this page to Suboxone TalkZone - that's his blog and go to the topic of "pregnancy". Here's a link to one of his most important entries:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/withdrawal- ... uilt-trip/

If you read anything other than this thread read that blog entry! It tells you why newborns DO NOT go through what we go through in w/d because their brains aren't nearly as developed. Please do read it. It should calm your fears and guilt.

As I said, I'm not a doctor, but Dr. J is. Good luck to you and feel free to ask more questions.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for your reply. I read your link, and it did help calm my fears. All I can do is hope and pray my baby is healthy. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad it helped. Try to relax, really. You can't do anything more now. Your added stress will only upset you and your body more. Try some meditation and stress reduction exercises. I know, it sounds silly, but it can help you.

Also, here's the rest of Dr. Junig's articles under the pregnancy section (I already did the search for you, this is the results):

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/category/pregnancy/

Good luck and come back and post as much as you need to. We're here to support you in any way we can. It will be ok. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Don't Stop the Subutex
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Stopping the Subutex at this late in the pregnancy can severely damage the neonate.

Your best bet is your doctor's advice though I strongly suggest you proceed with caution and my personal opinion would be to remain on the Subutex until your baby is delivered as the trauma from the withdrawal or even tapering off of the Subutex could cause a miscarriage.

As always you should always seek a second opinion from more than one doctor and to double-check your own doctor's suggestions and advice. It is better to be safe than sorry.

KeefSom