It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Weed
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Whats everybodys thoughts on marijuana? Many people ive talked to in either detox, rehab or such say its no big deal. They'll quit their drug of choice but never stop smoking marijuana. I'm just sorta interested in everyones opinion. Is it no big deal or is a drug a drug ? Legalize?

I personally, have never been a big fan of the green. I'm pretty young, 22, and mostly everyone i know smokes weed. Loves it. Most people i know who are my age, think weed isnt even a drug. I really didnt like how it made me feel when i tried it a few times in highschool. Tho, i do think it should be legalized for people who really do need it. Hey, if it makes a terminally cancer patient or any terminally ill patient feel better im all for it! But for a person in recovery. Its def. playing with fire. And most likely youll get burned.

Thoughts?? :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I personally am not a fan of it. I have smoked it before but it's been about 10 years. And I'll never smoke it again. I, like you, just didn't like the way it made me feel. I have no problem with people who do smoke it. I agree that people who have terminal diseases should definitely have access, legal access to it. Which they do. Doctors are able to prescribe medicinal marijuana to those patients. Also glaucooma patients. I'm sure there are other instances too, I'm just not aware of them. As for legalizing it across the board, I'm not sure that it's the greatest idea. I'm not saying that I'm against it, I'm just not sure where the benefit is. I'd love to read what other people think though! Good post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The states that have legalized medical marijuana are constantly fighting with the feds, so really, patients are not getting good access to their meds. Here in Michigan the medical marijuana situation is a MESS! The Attorney General is doing everything in his power to make it difficult if not impossible for patients to access safe meds the way they are supposed to (legally) under the Medical Marijuana Act. So really, even where it's SUPPOSED to be legal, it's not a done deal. Besides, President Obama, who originally supported state's rights with regard to MM, has now flip-flopped and is taking the fed's side - which is that ALL MARIJUANA is illegal, regardless of state law. Feds are still raiding dispensaries in all states.

Many opiate addicts continue to use marijuana, some medicinally. And many of their doctor don't have a problem with it. It's an individual choice, in my book. Hell, studies show it's safer than alcohol! And in states with MM laws, there are actually less drunken driving incidents! (I don't have that source right away but I can probably find it, it only came out recently. One can Google it.)

Anyway, personally, I think it's up to the individual. If they never had a problem with it like they did with opiates, then it's their call if they give it up or not, like if they quit drinking or not (if they never had a drinking problem). Yes, some people choose to give up any and all drugs, but I don't believe that need apply to everyone. We're all different and thus require different things to achieve successful recovery.

Just my two cents.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My husband has his MM card, and I cannot believe that what he gets at the dispensery, is actually MORE expensive than what he buys from his friend!!!!!!!!!!!!

and his friend, is not a dispensery, obviously.

Anyways, Ive always thought, if they DID legalize it, maybe there'd be some way to regulate price, consistency, not to mention they could tax the HELL out of it, and pay for,,, umm HEALTHCARE or something???????????????????????????????????????????????

thatd be great, if it was a perfect world, but we ALL know how long it takes the gov't to do ANYTHING, so Im sure even if it does become legalized, it'll be a long way down the road.

for me, I only tried to smoke once or twice after starting suboxone, and the weed, just didnt 'mix' well for me, kinda made me sick.

but, when I was using opiates daily, I smoked pot daily too. I dont miss it though, wierd, I know. Its just not something I 'crave' like I have the opiates.
to each his own I guess.
my husband got his medical card becuz he's bipolar (as hell) and has been diagnosed PTSD, and he's also a veteran,( I know that doesnt automatically give you a MM card, but it does seem to help, LOL)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Weed
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:39 pm 

My only opinion of weed is that if I did start smoking it again I'd never get off the couch or let go of my bag of Doritos. It totally squashes any drive for work, school, or just getting off my ass.

There are many people who need it for medical reasons and I have no problem with that. But why is it that whenever I see a person with a MM card they are 20 something grinning with cottonmouth? IMO, the majority are just plain pot heads. The ones who really need it tend to lie low.

So I guess it's a no smoking zone for me. Plus it makes me paranoid.

But you are correct about so many people smoking it nowadays. It is everywhere and seems to be accepted by most all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was very deep into the culture for a long time, been to Amsterdam a few times had mm card in Cali when it was so easy to get a card that a high school kid could of got one. It was so easy I went to da DMV used my aunts address twenty minutes later handed a Dr some money the next day buying OG kush flowers oil bubble hash and so on. I've seen both sides the medical side the legal side and the illegal side. And when it comes to someone in recovery smoking weed I am 100% against it, you can not be clean and using a mind altering state drug. I believe in this sense u truly are trading one drug for another. To truly be clean you need to be sober and smoking weed and getting high is not being sober. Is it a hardcore drug far from it but it is a drug and does ruin some kids life's. And it is a gate way drug 100%! If I never smoked weed i would never gotten into other drugs. It started with shrooms,than EX, than acid, than my true down fall coke. Than comes the drug that ruined my life opiates. And I truly believe if I never smoked weed and got into drugs, my opiate addiction would of not got so deep. Sure I would of been a opiate addict but not a fentynal or oxy and heroin addict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Personally, marijuana is not something I really enjoy. I used to smoke prior to my addiction with opiates, but never enjoyed it as much since. It was like the high from opiates was what I was looking for in the first place. Many of my friends smoke and I could really care less for the most part, but it does lead to laziness and potentially worse decision making.

As far as legalizing it, I’m not sure if that’d be the best solution either. I think decriminalizing marijuana would be better than selling it at the gas station, smoke shops, etc. or the potential of having advertisements exposed to innocent kids. Maybe the law could change to allow citizens to be in possession of "x" grams of marijuana, like 1, 5, 14, or up to an ounce. Possessing more than whatever that amount would be set as, then it would result in a charge. As far as the Gov. being able to control the sale of marijuana and potentially adding chemicals, like they did with tobacco, I don't really trust.

In my situation marijuana was somewhat of a gate way drug. Maybe if I never had the process in my mind of what it was like calling people in search of it or knowing drug dealers. Maybe then I might not have been able to find pain killers as easy. When I think of legalizing it, I think that the same thing that happened to me could happen to someone else. Being addicted to pain killers was awful and I would never wish it on someone else.

Does anyone else see marijuana as a gateway drug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah rule62, I agree. Id be glued to the tv and couch all day! I remember the first time i smoked me and some freinds went into a taco bell and i was so paranoid. I was sure everybody there was looking at me and knew i was high. They prob werent... Not a fun drug!

I do think its a gateway drug in most cases, first its weed, then x, then mushrooms, then lsd and so forth. As for legalization, I think laws and doctors should be VERY strict on who is allowed a M.M card. If weed helps a patient with terrible painful disease then im all for it. M.M is not for teens or people who just want to smoke!! I cant believe they hand them out like candy in someplaces!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I do see it as a gateway drug also, but in a lil different way..........

just like someone else posted, the 'dealer' you buy weed from, has it in one hand, and SOMETIMES something else in the other, like vicodin.
thats how it happened for me.
so I believe, if it WAS legalized, and had some kind of 'standard' process, you wouldnt have this situation. when I was 19, and I had gotten vics from a doctor, I ran out of course, and called the person I had bought weed from, to see if they 'knew' anyone that sold vicodin. I didnt even really think ANYbody WOULD sell vicodin, LOL. I was nieve I guess.
anyways ,,,,,, BAM, she had some for sale.

On the other hand, I think alcohol is a far, far, worse drug. Ive never seen a stoned person wana have a " brawl" over having smoked too many joints, nor a teenager be pushed outta the car on the hospital lawn becuz they've smoked too much weed and our having "weed poisening''

Its not a perfect world. If it were maybe people could use marijaunna responsibly, and it wouldnt be advertised to children (excellent point btw).
I agree with the decriminilization as well. I know here in oregon, if your caught with less than an ounce, w/o a MM card, its a $100 fine, and thats it. Its not a misdemeanor, its a "violation"
same as a traffic ticket, but obviously not on your driving record.

Just wanted to add that other aspect of the 'gateway drug'

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I disagree with the whole argument that weed is a gateway drug. In my case, I used marijuana first and foremost and then progressed onto other drugs, but I was always going to experiment with every drug out there. It just happened that marijuana was first because it's accessible, and wasn't considered a hard drug.

For the vast majority of heroin addicts, the first drug they ever used was marijuana. This is why people argue that marijuana leads to harder drugs. But IMO it's not so much that weed leads to other drugs, it just happens to be the first drug most people try in their using career. For me, experimenting with drugs was about finding something to make me feel normal. And I wouldn't have stopped until I found it.

Marijuana played a big part in me having my first psychosis at 17, which led to me being diagnosed with a chronic psychotic illness (bipolar type 1). Arguably it was that psychosis that led to me using hard drugs. I can think "what if I never smoked weed" and wonder how better my life may be today. But to be honest, I think I would have gotten sick anyway. Marijuana just brought it on earlier, and perhaps made my bipolar of the psychotic variety. Knowing what I know now, and being more aware of my family history, I believe that if I didn't turn to drugs for relief of my psych symptoms before they got acute, I woulda gotten sick in my 20's anyway, and gotten diagnosed with "soft" bipolar type 2 instead of bipolar 1. It's undeniable though that marijuana made my bipolar much worse, and triggered it at an important stage in my adolescent development that spun my life outta control.

It's undeniable that for people predisposed to mental health issues, marijuana can be the catalyst that triggers its acute onset. It angers me when I hear people from both sides of politics argue against, or use this fact, in the whole legalisation debate.

But the illegality of marijuana also makes this problem worse. The fact that the growing is unregulated and illegal leads to criminal elements growing incredibly potent strains of hydro, pumping all kindsa chemicals into the bud. Some of the skunk that I was sold as a teen was so strong it really wasn't pleasurable to smoke.

I pass no judgement on people who smoke in recovery. I choose to drink occasionally, and if a joint gets passed around I won't turn it down. But I don't bother buying weed at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with TJ. Besides, do you know how many people smoke pot who NEVER got into other drugs? If it's such a horrible "gateway" drug, then no one would be left untouched by "heavier" drugs or addiction, whereas the truth is scores of people started out smoking pot and never got into anything else. Many of them are still smoking today - 40 years later.

And I agree that it's not nearly as dangerous as alcohol. Decriminalization is one answer that I'm in favor of. The past has proven that prohibition doesn't work.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

T.j i can relate very well with you. Im also bi polar 1