It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: website photo?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello!
This is a great forum for people on suboxone! Good job! But....whats up with the picture of the guy shooting up? Doesnt this forum exist to discuss a drug that is part of a recovery process from opiates? Seeing this picture just makes me want to do heroin even more....

Post subject: Website shooting photo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you for your question about the photo. I have received other comments about the same photo on my blog, Suboxone Talk Zone.

There are a few reasons that I use that photo. The first is 'strictly commercial'-- I need a photo that catches the eye, as people race through the web without pausing unless they see something interesting. And the photo does tend to capture one's attention.

One person wrote and complained that the photo is 'disturbing'. To that, I said that one problem in addiction is the denial that the using addict lives under. Addicts don't like 'feelings'-- at least not unpleasant ones. The denial is necessary to block out so many bad feelings: the fear of never escaping the addiction, the horror of being trapped by the addiction, the shame from breaking promise after promise, the self-disgust from stealing from one's own parents... the addict creates a 'shell personality' that deals with the world, and his/her 'real self' is deep inside, not feeling anything. In treatment, many AODA groups start by 'checking in', where each person introduces himself and then says how he is feeling-- mad, glad, sad, afraid, ashamed, or hurt, or usually a combination of several of those feelings. In AA or NA, there is a great deal of stepwork devoted to 'feelings'. So with the photo, I encourage people to go ahead and recognize those feelings-- feel them, identify them, tolerate them, and learn from them.

As far as feeling like you want to use, that is worth noting as well. The eventual goal with recovery is to be able to accept 'life on life's terms'. There are risks out there that I recommend one avoids if possible-- hanging out with using people, for example. But drugs will always find the addict eventually, and so the addict needs to be able to tolerate thoughts about using without acting on them. About the photo, I'll point out a couple things-- first, it is just a photo. The photo itself is not dangerous. Second, the feelings the photo generates are already inside of addicts; the photo is only bringing those feelings to awareness. I recommend taking those feelings and bringing them 'full circle'-- meaning don't just stop at thinking about using, but instead think about using, then think about all of the misery that follows using. Take the feelings and bring them to light, but get them in line with reality-- instead of having a glorified image of using, with the Pulp Fiction soundtrack in the background, associate the using with the lousy feeling the next morning, waking up broke and ashamed. Associate the using urges with the feelings you had when you realized how deeply you hurt someone else by using. Do that, and in time the photo won't make you want to use-- it will totally disgust you.

When I see the photo, I always feel anger-- anger at the 'addict inside' that wants to destroy me. I like the photo because it keeps my focus on the problem. I don't want to stop feeling anything related to addiction-- it is an evil, disgusting problem that should really be shaking all of society more than it currently is.

I appreciate your comments. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the topic.

Post subject: photo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I do not like the picture really.It just jars bad feelings for me.