It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys, I'm 11 weeks pregnant and i have been off suboxone for 2 full days. I was only on 4mg for 10 months, and a few days ago I was only taking a sliver of a 2mg strip. A sliver! I feel like total crap. Absolutely no energy, hot sweats and cold chills, can't sleep, irritable. I have a 2 year old and I don't feel myself and am feeling so guilty. I was on methadone with my first pregnancy , and would NEVER do that again. Please someone who knows or has experiance, how long until I'll be feeling normal? I was on such a low dose...this is unbearable. I don't want to take more sub because it's already been 2 days without it, why take more now? :( thank you guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Alwaysup,

Welcome to the site. Some of the more knowledgeable members will be along soon, and will be able to give you more advice. I do know that 2mg is still a powerful dose. Lots of people get down to 0.5, 0.25, and even 0.125 mg before they jump off. Have you discussed this with your doctor to see what he thinks would be the best way of getting off Suboxone while being pregnant?

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:32 am 
New Poster
New Poster

When I told my sub dr I was pregnant she gave me 2 options, referring me to the methadone clinic, and she also said she could keep me on it if I wanted to, but she doesn't usually do that. I told her I wanted to wean off myself, and I know I did it kind of fast, within 2- 1/2 , 3 weeks. I just thought id be able to do it . I didn't think it would be this hard.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

Welcome to the forum! Yes, a sliver is still a good amount of sub. No one can answer how long you will feel crappy. IMO there is the option of going on subutex and going slower on your taper. Can you call your doctor and talk to her about that?

Your taper was very fast, that's why i thought a slower taper may be better. We have several threads here about mom's on sub while pregnant. Most had very good outcomes. Have you read around the forum?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm glad Tiki came along and mentioned that. I was looking up information on Subutex while she was posting. You need to decide what's best for you, but using the Subutex to do a slower taper would be a more comfortable option, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:20 pm 

I'm very relieved for you that you did not have a miscarriage from your fast taper. Our doctor who runs this forum has had plenty of pregnant women under his care stay on buprenorphine through their entire pregnancy. I don't know why your sub doctor was reluctant about it. And I don't know why she didn't tell you to taper as slowly as possible! The discomfort you feel translates to discomfort for your baby too. It wasn't wrong for you to taper off, it just should have been recommended to you that you go slowly.

By the way, in Dr. Junig's practice he has found that many fewer babies from mom's on suboxone end up having NAS than babies whose mom's are on other opiates. It probably would have been a completely different situation than when you were on methadone. But it's not a guarantee, so I understand you wanting to be off everything. Please make sure you are continuing to guard your recovery, so that your work to get off sub will be worth it. If you're going to slip up, do it with sub instead of other opiates. I wish you luck with your pregnancy and new baby!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

It is very dangerous to go cold turkey with suboxone while pregnant. Esspecially this early in the pregnancy. It is too much stress for the baby, the baby could die if you are going through extreme withdrawal by stopping abruptly. There are risks to taking opiates while pregnant, but there are worse risks with withdrawal. Your best option would be to wean off with your doctor the entire pregnancy if that's how long it takes. I was pregnant while weaning off. My doctor had me wean off a mg a month and even that puts stress on the baby. My son is perfectly healthy. I started out at 12 mgs a day at the beginning and by the time I delivered I was at 4mgs. They baby had withdrawal but got over it very quickly. Babies are lucky that way. I felt so much guilt during my pregnancy and much more when I saw him in pain.Because I knew the baby was much stronger than me if I couldn't even get through withdrawal. I felt so much guilt I tried to get off of it without telling my doctor while pregnant. I'm glad I wasnt able to do it because I didn't know at the time that it could have cost my sons life. As hard as it was to watch him in pain for three days, I was so happy to hold him in my arms knowing it will go away and he'll never go through it again. You need to be careful don't guilt yourself into suddenly stopping. That's worse for your baby. My baby was 9p10oz at birth. He rarely ever cries now and sleeps wonderfully. He's the happiest baby I've ever seen or heard of. He is one of those babies you hear about but never see. I used to think something was wrong with him because he literally never cries. Wimpers twice a day at most and he is two months old. He is healthy and I have my suboxone Dr to thank for that. I would be living on the streets begging for dope if it wasn't for Suboxone. I'm still on it because I can't push myself through withdrawal yet. But I am thankful I have all the time in the world because when I'm finally READY I'll be able to do it. Remember, addicted and dependant are two dufferent things. Don't be yourself up because your body needs medication to survive. We're just like people taking blood pressure medication. Be what your baby needs you to be. You're a mother now and it's your responsibility to do what's best for your baby. some people may look down on you, I got judged by people and doctors. That's only because these people are uneducated on this specific subject. If they were educated they wouldn't judge. Sorry to babble I hope I helped someone. this is information I wish I had at eleven weeks pregnant.

Attachments:
File comment: Healthy happy baby.
IMG_266937504702515.jpeg
IMG_266937504702515.jpeg [ 17.42 KiB | Viewed 1252 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:17 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks guys. I've been off of it for 2 weeks now and feel like the worst is over. I waited until my 2nd trimester started so the risk would be lowered. But I feel ok, once in awhile I'll feel hot and cold sweats but I know the worst is over.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:34 pm 

Bexy, thank you so much for sharing your story! It shows us that it is not necessary taper off bupe while pregnant, it's just a choice!

Alwaysup, I'm glad that you're feeling better because that means your baby is too! I hope the rest of your pregnancy is awesome!

Amy