It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My son and his girlfriend have been taking suboxone for about 4 months. They recently found out that she is pregnant.. 9 weeks.

She has been trying hard to taper down off the subox and is down to approx 1 mg every 48 hours. She is experiencing leg cramps and this morning stomach cramps. She took 1/8 of an 8mg tab this morning.

She has not told her OBGYN about taking subox and is hoping to be off of it soon. I have encouraged her to let her doc know about the subox, but she is embarrassed and scared to tell her.

I have read that she should wait until she is at least between 14 and 23 weeks to actually put herself and her baby through any withdrawl trauma.
She is on a low dose, but nevertheless it is still a 'dose'. There ultimately will be SOME withdrawl.... I am so worried.......Is it even going to be possible for her to get off completely without harming the fetus?

Thanks for this website.
Sincerely
Becca

Post subject: weaning
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome becca:
I don't have any answers but as a mother I can appreciate your concerns. Hopefully subdoc will answer.
Kilby5.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The information about avoiding withdrawal at a certain time is purely theoretical; there is no evidence that this is a bad time to stop an opiate. The general thought on addiction and pregnancy is that the safest thing is to keep the person on maintenance, whether it is methadone or Subutex-- not because of the effects of w/d on the fetus but to prevent relapse to harder drugs. Buprenorphine w/d is quite mild in infants; to be frank the whole w/d in infant thing is overblown. We used to do open heart surgery on infants who were paralyzed with neuromuscular blockers, WITHOUT anesthesia or narcotics because of fear that infants wouldn't tolerate them-- this was as recently as 15 years ago! Many places still do circumcisions with no anesthetic... not to mention what it must feel like to have your 6 inch diameter skull squeeze through a 4 inch diameter tunnel!

I will post some articles in a separate post...

SD