It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone, I am a first time poster but I have been reading for about four months. As the topic says I am going to my first meeting tonight and thought this may be a good time to make myself come out and introduce myself. Whenever I have tried to write about myself I would get overwhelmed and just not.
I have been on sub for over four months and it has helped me greatly. I do dread coming off of it but right now am trying to focus on changing some habits into healthy ones. I take 8mg. ( four in the morning, four in the pm) I have read about taking it once a day and all. My dr has said to me to take it like this and that this is a new field but from his experience most of his clients take it twice a day. I know about the half life and all but it works for me right now.
thank you to all the posters that I have learned a whole lot from or saw myself in them.
I will check back in after the meeting. Maybe I will post it over on the meetings thread.
take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Cassie and welcome!

I would love to hear what you thought about the meeting....I don't really want to go to AA/NA right now and have been thinking about checking out a smart meeting. Please let us know how it goes and what it was all about! Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cassie,

So glad you decided to join us!! I lurked on this forum for a while before I decided to make my first post too. I don't know exactly what I was nervous about, but I was nervous about something?? Ummm, as you can probably tell, I'm not too nervous about posting anymore!! :lol:

During my entire time on Suboxone, I took it twice daily as well. You summed it up real good when you said taking Suboxone twice a day works for you......that's all that matters!!

I like how you're focusing on changing some of your bad habits over to good ones instead of focusing on getting off Suboxone. That's a good strategy.

I hope you come back and post often.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

SO I went and I would go back again. It is always a little weird to walk into a room where you don't know anyone. But it was fine. The leader of the group was nice, knowledgeable and funny. He got people talking. I can't say I learned anything new as I have spent alot of time on their sites reviewing their tools but for me the point was being honest with someone.

In my daily life besides my husband and still he really doesn't want to talk about it, he wants me healthy but is pretty much done talking about it for awhile since to him I seem 100%. He has some denial about my addiction I think but one thing at a time right. He supports me going. (there is more to this part of my life related to him and my addiction but another day and another post)
The sub topic doesn't have a place for me to talk about in my life or addiction for that matter. That said, I was the only one with addiction issues with opiates. yet I know in the end addiction is addiction.
There were about 10 people there and I was the only woman which was kinda weird or I should say I wasn't excepting that. I am going to another one tomorrow night at a different location. It is times like these that I am so grateful to live in a big city.
My dr doesn't require me to do anything as far as treatment but he greatly pushes it. I told him flat out that there was no way I was going to AA/NA. I would love to get one on one counseling but I don't have the money for it.
I will continue to post about the next meeting. Right now the best thing I am doing is working out.

oh my last thought for the night that has been rolling around my mind is since I don't have current urges, it's hard for me to predict what will work when I come off and have them. I don't know if that makes sense and it maybe some of my anxiety around coming off subs down the road.
In a way I feel like I may need meetings like these once the sub is gone. Even if I am just collecting tools to use later that is cool for me.

Thanks for reading and if you are on the fence about this group check their site out. I have a Masters in social work and my focus was mental health.. (surprise, surprise) and their science based infor. is helpful at least to me.

Peace[align=right][/align][align=right]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Cassie - How are you doing? Have you been to any other SMART meetings since you last posted?

Part of what you wrote caught my eye:

Quote:
oh my last thought for the night that has been rolling around my mind is since I don't have current urges, it's hard for me to predict what will work when I come off and have them. I don't know if that makes sense and it maybe some of my anxiety around coming off subs down the road.
In a way I feel like I may need meetings like these once the sub is gone. Even if I am just collecting tools to use later that is cool for me.

I totally get this! I was also opposed to going to AA/NA meetings so my Sub doctor let me work out my own personal treatment program with my counselor. Part of that was identifying triggers and developing coping strategies. But that can be hard when you're not really being triggered or having cravings.

What worked for me was to think about what had triggered my use in the past. For me it was pain, depression, anxiety, stress, etc. While Suboxone was taking care of the urge to use opiates, I still had to deal with some of my issues. The trick was to see how the "triggers" were manifesting now that the urge to use opiates was allieviated. So I did a lot of work around evaluating my emotional responses and my behaviors. Was I isolating myself? Sleeping too much? Avoiding things that I needed to do? Picking fights with my partner? I'm sure you get the drift.

So I was able to develop coping tools, and it worked. When I tapered off of Suboxone, all of the skills I developed and practiced while I was on Sub were useful and I was able to stop Suboxone successfully.

Anyway, it's an interesting dilemma. I hope you find a way to work on these skills for yourself. And I hope you're doing well - come back and let us know!

-Jack Kornfield