It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, but have been on suboxone film since 4/11/11. I was on escalating opiate pain meds for 8 years prior go that. My wife shares both of those timeframes with me. She has decided to stop taking suboxone because she recently found it to be the root cause of several medical issues she has had since she started suboxone. Possibly the naloxone, but I digress. She went cold turkey 5 days ago from 4 mg a day. She is in bed, and has been since the first day and she is suffering with back pain and headaches,etc. I am sitting in bed next to her, and have honestly pondered spiking her drink with subox. I hate watching her suffer, and i know the suboxone will help, but i feel powerless to help her. I truely love her and its killing me. Any advice, please?

Post subject: IDK
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know when I go through wd's I just want to be left alone. Yes wd's suck, but they are not fatal and we pretty much know what to expect. And we know time heals. My advice is to keep telling yourself she did this by choice and not to stress so much. If she needs something she will ask. Easier said than done, I know.

Just curious, are those medical problems documented side effects of suboxone/naloxone? I'm not interested in details, I just want to know if I would see these issues on the suboxone side effects list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

She had the constipation likw she had with oxys, but developed terrible hives and rash and she always felt a crawling sensation. Every doctor told her she was crazy, three actually used that word. Ahe went as far as to go to the university hospital research department to see if it might be scabies or.mange and was given medication for it!!! We lost our home because someone told her it might have come from mold, later to find that the dark spots on the closet wall were from dark paint bleeding thru, not mold (rented house) we are now living with friends 140 miles from where we raised our kids for 15 years. I lost my job because of missing work to go to drs appointments that were useless. Also joint pain and swelling. FINALLY we found some info pointing us in the direction of a naloxone allergy. It has been a living hell. But if i dont know anything else, i know i love her and i know shew doesnt deserve to suffer any more. There are ao many terrible people in this world doing so much better. Very frustrating when you do the right thing and it seems to fail you over and over and over.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry. I know what it is like when you see someone you love suffering & theres nothing you can do. Even if it is by their own choice. I am sure you guys have been thru every scenario, but I wonder if she has asked any one of the doctors if they could switch her to subutex. It is the same thing as subox, minus the naloxone. Many doctors wont switch meds due to the ability to abuse subutex. But in your wifes case it seems absurd they wont at least try it. Anyway good luck & hang in there. She is lucky to have someone who lover her as much as you do....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sweet16 is right about the Subutex. But she needs to be aware of that option, not forced into it. Had she talked to her doctor about Subutex? Or did she even know about it?

I really urge you DON'T spike her drink with Suboxone. This is a choice she has made to get off. Spiking her drink would no doubt make her furious at you. IMO to spike her drink in your situation would be an incredibly selfish thing to do. And likely more about you relieving your discomfort as seeing her like that, than relieving her discomfort. Are you afraid of how thing might change if she gets off Suboxone?

For most people, jumping off 4mg is an impulsive decision. But given your wife has those hives and you've both been trying desperately for a solution for so long, I think it's totally understandable that she'd just want relief from her problem ASAP. Hives can also be caused by anxiety, so there is that possibility as well.

It sounds like a really messy chaotic situation and I hope you both find your way through to calmer seas soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You are not the first to ask if I was worried about "changes" for lack of a better term when she is off. Frankly, its almost like the implication is that I have a need to or a sense that i can control her if she is on suboxone. That is mind bottling to me. Simply put, she is the mother of my babies and truly my best friend. That is the last thing I want. I want her better, no more,no less.,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Our heads sure can play some funny little games with us. I have realised this recently during a craving and how it can think of some many hairbrain ways to justify our actions. I never really thought MY head could get the better of me..... Anyway of course you want your bff/wife/ to get better. I can't imagine what your family must be going thru. Hang tight. If she wants you to help her feel better, she will ask. Just remind her every so often that you are there for her no matter what that means for her. Rub er feet or back draw her a bath (w/ epsome salt if ya got it) Help her to stay hydrated and if you can help encourage her to go for a walk it will help SOOOOOO much. This is hard for you I know, likely equally as har on you as her, but you are her partner and if you spike her drink, you are working against her best wishes... I know it was a passing thought & you probably would not actually do it, but let her make decisions for her. Just be a supportive hubby & you guys will be fine. maybe it will help you to get off if you desire too... good luck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess that may be part of it also. I am slowly reducing and stepping off, but she is going cold turkey, and I see the pain its causing. I agree with all your advice. Im jamging in there, i will keep you in the loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well that explains a lot. Tapering really can screw with your head man. I got seriously depressed and thought about why was I even here on earth. I have NEVER experienced low energy or depression before. I was nearly suicidal. Anyway i am bettter now. Do yourself a favor then, get yourself some fresh air and walk, power walk. It really WAS the only and I mean ONLY thing that helped my head.. I promise you...tapering IS HARD maybe even harder than CT... Again good luck you can do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

abanks602 wrote:
Frankly, its almost like the implication is that I have a need to or a sense that i can control her if she is on suboxone. That is mind bottling to me.

That one came out of left field!

I was actually talking about how in drug dependent relationships, some people can see their partner's getting clean kinda like they are "moving on". There were no suggestions about control there at all.

What did her Sub prescribing doctor say about her hives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I know I'm kind of late with this, but spiking her drink wouldn't do much of anything except make her mad. Oral bioavailability for buprenorphine is pretty much non-existent.