It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello! First post. Been reading for a bit & decided to sign up. Really appreciate all the info given on this website & forum!

I have been using for 4-5 years. I was up to 60-120/mg a day oxycodone. A quick background on myself. I grew up with confidence/self-esteem issues. I also had never truly dealt with stress properly. Opiates were an easy way out as you all know. They seemed to make me more social. I tried my best not to let me abuse get out of hand. I would take little pieces, 1/4ths of 30mg pills every hour-hour.5. My day consisted of up and downs & more up and downs. It has cost me a lot of $ of course.

I saw a suboxone doctor Sunday. 24 hours of withdrawal later I took my first dose, an hour later I felt great and here we are 3 days later.

My DR. prescribed me 12mg once/day in the AM.

I'm always a bit nervous when taking a new drug (sounds funny from a drug addict), but I took 4mg Monday AM. The first day I felt good, but was a bit tired, and still felt a bit out of it. I ended up taking a 1/4th of a film around 4pm that day as cravings came back in the afternoon.

2nd day same thing. I slept in until 10am that day (been a while since I always wake up at 7 am sick!). I still felt a bit sick though. I took 8mg in the AM. By like 4-5pm cravings crept up and I took 4mg at that point. Felt fine the rest of the day.

Today I did the same thing and feel great as I type this.

MY CONCERNS/QUESTIONS:

Tomorrow I am going to take it as the doctor prescribed. One dose of 12mgs in the AM and see how I make it through the day. I read on this website that sometimes those cravings in the afternoon are basically in my head. It makes sense, but they're still there ya know?

If dosing twice a day is still working for me though is that okay? I read that the point of suboxone is to help decrease the habit of wanting to take a substance in the afternoon. I of course will let the Dr. know everything as well.

I am kind of worried I am trying to take the subs to get "high" even though I don't really get high. I still always loved the way opiates made me be able to enjoy things better & I guess I am going to have to regain all of these life skills I have put on the backburner.

My psychiatrist who prescribed the suboxone to me said she wants me to be on this dosage for 6 months. For the amount of percocet I was taking a day do you think this is okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WELCOME :wink: :wink: :wink:

congrats, on changing your life, deciding to stop the CRAZY train ,,,,, in it's tracks.
good for YOU 8)

The once daily dosing thing is ,,,,, what they reccomend, unless you have pain issues, or a super fast metablolism. (pretty rare)
And your correct, the point being to get the old pattern of pill=reward outta your head...........
It definitely takes work, no doubt about it.
I wouldnt worry too much if you did dose twice a day for awhile, like two weeks? I dont know, however long the
"really bad" cravings last.
Unless of course you think you can handle it now, GO FOR IT.
Im just saying, dont kick yourself if you fail at it right outta the gate.

Now, as far as the 'time limit' thing,,,,,,,
thats a very individualized question..........the answer can be different for everyone. I do have chronic pain issues, and even suboxone doesn't completely get rid of it, most of the time, its 'bareable'

Usaully people look at things like,,,,,,,,
how much did you lose during your addiction?(money, marriage, kids, family etc)
how far did your addiction go (ever an IV user, smoking/snoring/etc)
what skills have you gained while on suboxone (coping skills/how to deal with cravings)
and how much changed in your life while on suboxne
(did you move, change jobs, "lifestyle" in general)

You can see how this question of how long to be on suboxone, can be a difficult one, for many people.
Im in no hurry to get off, since I spent over ten years spending every dime I had (8 were bad) and lost damn near everything I had.........and used heroin at the end, ya know, this happens to alot of 'us'

Here's a link to one of Dr. J's articles on it, may explain a little better than I did.
http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/why-do- ... enorphine/

well, I hope I answered some of your questions..........
if not just ask again,
and if Im not around chances are somebody else will be :wink:

again, WELCOME
and great job on getting off that CRAZY TRAIN to nowhere (hell , maybe!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi Brettskee5 and welcome to the forum!!! Amber already gave you the biggest reason for once daily dosing.
To break the habit of "pill=reward dosing". I do however, dose 3x day. The reasoning for this is I dose for pain
as well as addiction. Now, when I first got induced, my doctor put me on twice a day dosing. He was going to keep
it that way too. So I think that sometimes it depends on the doctor too. When we started discussing my pain issues
though, we settled on dosing 3x/day. This is because the analgesic properties of suboxone only last 4~6 hours.

The other thing that Amber mentioned is a super fast metabolism. I have one of those. So even before the 3x a day
dosing, I had cravings, and could feel the sub wearing off by late afternoon. This would happen with any medication
I took. So if your metabolism is pretty quick, I'd mention that to your doc. I am sure that he would rather you dose
twice a day then relapse. If you do have cravings this evening, why don't you try doing 6mg in the morning, and 6mg
in the evening, the following day? Just a thought. If that works for you, I'd then tell your doc what works, so that you
guys are on the same page.

Congratulations on your decision to stop your addiction. It is a difficult thing to do, and we are here to support you in
any way that we can. If you have any other questions, let us know. We will try to answer them the best we can.
TAke Care~[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Brett, I think you made the right choice going on Sub and you have got outstanding advice so far. Probabley the only thing I might add, and this is just my opinion and my experience after being on Sub for almost 4 years (tapering now) is.....I feel, closer to 6 months is better than closer to 4 years. It would not be appropriate for me to get into my opinions as to "why" but I will say I think its a better short term tool than a long term crutch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After about a week the Sub builds up in your system to the point where you are pretty much at a steady state, and your dose just maintains that state. Once you get to that point you should be fine with once a day dosing, and you would even be fine if for some reason you skipped a day. I believe there is a sticky of a graph in the dosing discussion section that shows the stacking process. As far as your dose, many people maintain on 8mg, or even less. But since you're just starting you should just stick with what the doc has you on for now.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:21 am 

Different people are always going to have different opinions on how long or how short you should be on sub. The truth is, there is no perfect amount of time to be on sub. It's a very individual decision based on many factors. For example, if you've been on opiates for 25 years, you may need to be on sub longer than someone who just picked up the habit 6 months ago.

Your level of success with suboxone and with sobriety if you taper off sub depends largely on what you put into your recovery. Suboxone keeps you in a holding pattern until you can maintain sobriety without it. Some people are never able going to be able to do it on their own, and that's OK. There are plenty of us with few enough side effects that it makes sense to stay on sub indefinitely. After all, the alternative can be constant relapse and/or overdose and death.

My suggestion to you is that you use the time that you're on sub to develop coping mechanisms and a support system. Find a good therapist who can help you understand what led to your addiction in the first place. Get used to speaking honestly about your addiction. Then when/if you end up tapering off the suboxone, you will be less likely to relapse.

Stick with it and congratulations for making the decision to change your life for the better!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amazing replies everyone!

This is my 5th day on suboxone. Yesterday I can honestly say was the happiest I felt in 5 years. I had energy all day, something I hadn't had in a while. I was able to focus on things. I had motivation. The cravings in the afternoon I had the day before were basically non-existant yesterday. I took only a tiny sliver over a film during the afternoon. :roll: ...Today I plan on making it all day with only morning dosage.

I did notice it's more difficult to sleep, however I think sometimes people forget it was much easier to fall asleep up & down on opiates all day (at least IMO) that we forget how we slept before the addiction took over. It always took me longer to fall asleep before my addiction so I suppose I am back to 'normal'.

I had a talk to my mom yesterday (I'm open with my addiction to her, shes 16 years clean using strictly NA). She said she is happy for me and does understand. She told me people @ NA might not particularly think I was clean, but it can still be a good support system if I was interested.

My next goal is to get back to exercise.

I still do have that concern about being on suboxone for a long time. 1/2 of me feels, no big deal, if I can afford it then what is the downside? I feel good, don't feel high, have energy. On the other hand part of me feels like maybe I am not myself, or maybe I feel guilty for taking a cop out.

Just wanted to update, thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Brettskee5 wrote............
I still do have that concern about being on suboxone for a long time. 1/2 of me feels, no big deal, if I can afford it then what is the downside? I feel good, don't feel high, have energy. On the other hand part of me feels like maybe I am not myself, or maybe I feel guilty for taking a cop out.

I can relate to this feeling. . . . I mean, obviously it's too late for me,,,, Im coming up on 18 months on suboxone. But, I can relate to going back and forth about the decision to continue or not. . . .
Thing is, I have gone a few days without taking it, and even a week a couple times.
For me,
I actually feel more than I ever have before. Emotions I mean. Now that's not to say,,, I wouldnt feel even more when completely off suboxone.........we've had a lot of people come on here and say that everything feels sharper, brighter, ETC when they jump off. So, I try to have an open mind.

And I even feel guilty sometimes, that I've found something that works for me, and Im not 'white knuckling' it like so many people have to.

I dont think I really have a point. Just wanted to say I can completely relate.
EACH one of us is totally different, and so was/is our addiction, and I think you definitely have to take that into consideration.
Any person would call me a 'chronic relapser' before suboxone.

Oh well, this is working for me, and Im happier than Ive ever been.
that's gotta count for something :D :D :D

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amber, you guys are great.

Okay, 1 week down...got some issues.

My cravings in the afternoon or just about gone, I don't think about pills during the day it's seriously amazing, however some side effects are starting occur.

I guess with the long half-life of suboxone I think there is a lot built up in my system. I am starting to get some anxiety and it's also hard to fall asleep because of this.

I took my first dose like an hour ago and I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I also drink coffee and diet coke during the day so mayube I need to cut down on caffeine. Should I skip my dose tomorrow and see how I feel? Maybe I need to lower my dose, or is this just a common side effect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I dont ever remember being that wound up and Ihave always used alot of caffeine but I'm mellow to begin with. I definetly had sleep issues before. I take a very small amount right before bed now so I dont wake up after 7 hours feeling mild WD. but if I took a third of my daily dose late I could have trouble sleeping.
I dont know if skipping doses is what I would do. finding the lowest dose that passifies your cravings and keeps you level would probably be better. I started on 24mg and not too long ago I was at 4 (now at 2).I tend to believe With the "ceiling effect" anything above 4mg or so offers psychological benifits only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My sub treatment has been great except for sleep anxiety. Been a problem for me since I was 16. I think suboxone has increased the anxiety. I have weird symptoms, Ill be at the stage of falling asleep and I kind of realize it & burst awake with a panic & gasp of air. This can occur up to 10 times before I finally fall asleep. If I try to take a nap during the day I can never get into a deep sleep.

Doc prescribed me Vistaril which didnt really help last night...I actually woke up feeling very groggy also. My mom has xanax (which has been effective for me in the past) Do any of you take xanax for sleep and suboxone during the day? My mom also has ambien & soma. Any experience combining any of those with sub?