It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Wanting to join Military
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been getting a prescription for suboxone for almost a year and will stop taking it very soon. I then want to join the National Guard but I am worried that I might be denied because I took suboxone in the past. Do I have to tell the recruiter I took it or can I lie? Will they find out from my insurance company records or medical records? I really need to join the guard it's my only option to get my life back on track and put my addiction in the past for good (or is it going to haunt and cripple me forever) Not sure if anyone is in the military on here that used to be prescribed suboxone paid for with insurance but I sure hope so please help me out here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:27 pm 

Hey Joe, welcome to the forum.
I can't really answer your questions for sure . In private life it isnt really anyones concern what kind of med you are taking.
If in deed The Guard can look into your medical records then maybe you can or should be up front with them.

I do not know how deep they go into a recruitment /medical issuses. Hopefully someone can give you real answers here. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

Are you tapering off Buprenorphine now? How is that going? I wish you the best. Thanks for wanting to give back to your country and people.

Again, welcome Joe Dirt! Razor..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

During the enlistment process a background check will be done. Any arrest will be thoroughly scrutinized. Now that we have state databases they can be checked to see if any controlled substances have been prescribed over the past year, doesn't matter if insurance paid for it or with cash.
http://army.com/info/usa/disqualifiers
from: http://www.military.com/join-armed-forc ... tions.html

Neurotic, Anxiety, Mood, Somatoform, Dissociative, or Factitious Disorders

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are a history of such disorders resulting in any or all of the below:

a. Admission to a hospital or residential facility.

b. Care by a physician or other mental health professional for more than 6 months.

c. Symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency.

Depending on the number of recruits they have they can be real strict or sometimes accept a waiver.
If you falsify your record, it can lead to a summary discharge and disbarment from any future federal job or student loan.
I would recommend you explore your options with a recruiter, understanding that your chances are very slim. Ironically, the most common cause of failure to enlist is failure to meet weight standards, then mental health (ADHD treatment is catching many) and tattoos.
To answer Razor, they can dig deep. Including all school records looking for IEP's, behavioral problems, truancy etc. If we are going to invest multiple 10's of thousands of dollars on training, we want to know we will get a good return on investment.
The days of a judge saying 'Jail or the Marines' are over and have been for years.
Semper Gumby (always flexible) Retired National Guard Psychiatrist

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I am tapering down and it's going fine. I could have / should have quit a long time ago but I'm basically poor and had to work. I have never been without a job and my job is not a good one it's very labor intensive so I couldn't taper off realistically before but I am quiting my job this month some time and just saying f* it. Quiting suboxone won't be a big problem it just takes a lot of time at home and in the bed for me lol. But I guess my plan to quit my job quit suboxone and join the National Guard and go back to college is not going to be happening... So yeah I knew I should have never went and started getting a prescription for suboxone for this reason but everyone told me it won't be on my records and it's private. I should have just quit my job a long time ago and spent time at home to withdraw. This is a very big disappointment and really ticks me off because the military was going to be my redemption and a part time job while I am in college. Guess I am basically out of options.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi
I can tell you the coast guard digs deep! My son joined and it was the best thing he did. I hope your recruiter gives you a chance. The process took 5 months for my son. He started in January and went to boot camp in July. He also had to have a tattoo covered. All it said was "the difference between love & hate is a fine line". It was the word hate they wouldn't allow.

They will investigate any scars, he had a hernia repair when he was 15 months old and they wanted the records.

Don't lie, they will dismiss you immediately. I hope you get in the national guard, it really was wonderful for my son.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is not the Suboxone that disqualifies you, it is the addiction. Less than 2 years since active addiction it is very unlikely to get a waiver. Just like ADHD, it is not the fact the person took Ritalin or Adderall, it is that they needed medication to control the condition. Medications do not disqualify a person, it is the underlying condition that is being treated that is disqualifying.
You could lie, but not a great way to start with an organization that values Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage.
Army Values

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm 

Hey joedirt (love ur name btw),

I really feel for u and this situation. Having a plan like u have shows that ur trying to prepare for a better future for urself. I completely understand why the national guard would have to be extremely picky about who they accept (I'm probably not even saying it right lol cause I don't know anything about that stuff). So I see why addiction would be a concern. I also see the addict that's in recovery's side too. Even when we get our lives together, there's still things we'll never be able to do because of our past and present condition. The job I did for ten years before I became addicted is all I've ever known and was damn good at it. But now since I have the past that I have and even taking suboxone, I will never be able to work that job again. I completely understand why that is, but it still hurts nonetheless. So it sucks, it really does.

I guess my advice to u would be, just try anyway, even if u know it's a long shot. Be completely honest about everything. Don't even try if ur not going to be honest, because they'll find out. But considering that this is something u really want, no harm in trying. At least u can say u tried, if u don't, you'll always wonder. I wish u the best and regardless of what happens, u are in a much better place than u were in active addiction, and that's something to be extremely proud of my friend!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to call a recruiter, explain my situation to him, because I have had unusual circumstances. Then try to murder the ASVAB (95+) and hopefully I can prove that my addiction came from a temporary lapse of judgement in my life and being young and dumb and that it's not a disease or a issue that I will live with for the rest of my life. Maybe it can work and I can prove myself although I doubt it.I guess I will find out and let everyone know how it turns out. It just really annoys me that I'm having to deal with all this just to serve my country but I understand where they are coming from and how it is a disease and a life long battle for many people. Everyone is different.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow Joe,

Your story makes me sad. It seems like this is really what you want to do. I don't know much about the recruitment process but I think your idea is good. Honesty is always the best policy.

I can't believe it about having to have the word hate covered up in order to be accepted,especially when used in such an innocent context. I know I'd never be accepted, because of subs, adhd, and my ink.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes.