It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, I have been on suboxone for about 8 months (last 2 have been subutex due to major headaches from suboxone). I have had chronic low back pain and been taking muscle relaxers (robaxin) since I obviously can't take narcotics, but they are pretty much worthless and taking tons of OTC meds. , BTW, I am down to 6mg a day, started on 16mg. I am in a great treatment program that lasts 30 weeks, I am a little more than half way through it. There are 3 phases, each ten weeks and get gradually less intense. I see my pyschiatrist on Thursday for my subutex appointment, and wants to ask to try methadone, even if just temporarily. ( I took a HORRIBLE drug called accutane, has been recalled from so many lawsuits, side effects included depression/suicide, Chrons disease, sever joint/low back pain because it stops the production of fluid that lubricates your joints or something, and a million other ones. you have to sign a million releases and get blood tests every month, if you google it all you will see are horror stories.
Anyways, that has been the cause of my pain thats gotten progressively worse the past few months even after stopping it. I don't know how my doctor will feel about switching me, or whether they even prescribe methadone there. Do you guys think methadone is a better option for pain management? I know you can't know for sure but do you think the doctor may be open to that possibility? I can't even perform simple tasks like bending to tie my shoe or even sit/lay/relax anywhere comfortably and I am only 23.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know Methadone is a bitch to stop, even harder than subs, but I almost have 6 months clean and I am worried more about relapsing now than I have been in the past. Obviously I still want to get high, but I am thinking about using in small amounts to help this pain. I know I can't do that successfully and it would just be a dumbass justification to get high. Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering the same thing. I know that when it comes to methadone for addiction treatment you have to go to a clinic daily or after a certain amount of time you can be granted take-home doses for short periods of time.

As far as prescribing it for pain management and receiving a monthly prescription i don't know how it works. From what i hear you'd probably be better off staying on suboxone. I don't think that methadone is that much better of a pain reliever, and taking into account the side-effects of methadone vs. suboxone you'd probably be taking two steps back rather than forward.

The only real way to find out what you want to know is to either call a clinic or your doctor to get the details of how it applies to you. Hopefully others will reply with better information.

Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on suboxone for four years worst four years of my life, side effects were life ruining and being a serious pain management patient suboxone does shit for pain in my opinion. Anyways I started methadone two years ago and my life is ten thousand times better. I don't fear waking up each day bc of my pain I haven't had cravings in forever and very few side effects. life is a cake walk on methadone in all aspects compared to suboxone. As of getting methadone not from a clinic is a pain in the ass. You can only get it from pain management DRs and they don't even like doing it. Because you are put under a microscope because if the higher up even thinks the DR is treating for addiction in any sense there whole practice can be put in jeopardy and possibly lose there dea number to prescribe controlled substances. Also the Dr must document much more with methadone patients than say prescribing someone oxys.

But I will say there are people who are happily on methadone from a Dr instead of a clinic all I'm saying unless you have we'll documented pain management file most Drs are iffy about doing it. I think you would be much better off on methadone than suboxone for your pain and overall health!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To forum members,

I am new to this forum and could not find a way to post as I just registered and do not know this site. Maybe you have to be a member for awhile before you can start a forum? Anyways, I need help and advice on this topic of methadone. Before starting on suboxone, I was going to a methadone clinic for about four months and stabilized on a dose of 120 mg. I tapered down to 40 mg and jumped to suboxone and suffered from intense precipitated withdrawl symptoms for days. I basically thought I was going to die. I have now been on suboxone for 90 days; I have gone from 24 mg to 12 mg. I wanted to switch because I thought Sub was the right way to go if you really wanted off drugs, taper, and be accepted by NA. The problem is that I feel absolutely horrible on Sub. When I was on a higher dose it helped out at first but then I started to feel anxious and my moods were almost uncontrollable. I have tapered down so fast in order to feel better but it is not helping. I am angry, depressed, frustrated, have the urge to use, and have no motivation for anything. I am thinking maybe I should go back to the methadone on 40 mg and taper from that? At least on the methadone I could function and my emotions weren't out of control. I am already on Celexa and Klonopin, but they are not helping. Please someone give me advice, I have two kids to support and feel that I cannot go on much longer and be able to keep my job.

Sincerely,
Leanna1014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hey leanna..i dont really have much knowledge about methadone but if you want to start your own thread:

once you are on the forum's board index(where all the different forum subjects are listed) scroll down and click on methadone maintenance(where you found this thread)....above the thread list on the left side is a bubble that says "new topic" click that and you will be able to start your own thread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Hi-Reighn for your post.... I just found the index. Hopefully, I can find some advice. What has been your experience with suboxone; has it helped you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yes suboxone has changed my life for the better! i have had zero withdrawls or cravings...some very minor side effects but the pros outweigh the cons by a million... i have not only been opiate free(besides suboxone obviously) but it has also stopped the desir4e for me to do any drugs, and i used to be a heavy drug user of all drugs....havent touched any drugs since starting sub....im sorry you have had a hard time on it...i do believe that certain people do better on suboxone and others do better on methadone...i hope you get it figured out and feel better.. good luck and God bless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

To the OP, methadone (my opinion) has a lot more side effects that are more pronounced than Suboxone. Constipation, sweating, low sex drive, weight gain. These are side effects the majority of methadone patients (though not all) experience. Also, as someone else stated, methadone can only be prescribed by a private doctor for PAIN MANAGEMENT (it needs to be specified on the prescription, if I remember correctly) and God forbid you lose your doctor (for whatever reason), then you'd probably need to go to a methadone clinic, which can be incredibly restrictive.