It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was just doing some research, and if I were to be switched to generic Subutex, it would literally save me like $300 a month, because I have a free prescription insurance card that covers generic medications quite a bit. I honestly can't believe it (how much money I could save). I have been with this doctor for almost 2 years, have a good relationship with him. But still, I have never questioned him, and things are going SO great in my life that I am afraid if I ask him and make him mad, even if he doesn't seem mad, that bad things might start happening...like having my dose lowered, or being cut off.. I don't know. It's the addict in me being paranoid probably.....hopefully...But knowing that I could save $300 is really hard to ignore.

Has anybody else gone through this situation? Has their doctor switched them? Is it common? Any feedback would be really appreciated. Being able to save that much money would honestly lift a HUGE burden, but then again, I can't take the risk of messing up my relationship with my doctor in any way....but all paranoia aside, why would asking him hurt our relationship? I dont know.. but what if it did. My life would be screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I recently changed insurance and was not sure if new policy would cover suboxone. I brought it up to my doctor and he offered to switch me to subutex if need be. As it turns out suboxone was covered and accually a lower co-pay than before. I was honest with him and like you I have been with my current doc for years. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Explain it to him just like you wrote your comment. I can't see that rocking the boat. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is how i see it - even if your doctor doesn't want to switch you, I doubt he would get mad at you or be punitive about it.
Also, just so you know, Suboxone is now generic, but not all states/pharmacies have it yet. Mine (Michigan) doesn't yet. Maybe call your pharmacy and ask them about the generic sub.

Like Smoothy said, just tell him why you want to switch and how much it will save you. Explain it logically and honestly and I think you'll be in good shape.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My new sub doc goes nuts if you bring up subutex.......but of course he sells suboxone out of his office at $7 a pill. My old sub doc swithched me to subutex and my co pay was $5. The only reason he did it was because I never had IV use...or used needles. He said they would get in trouble if you ever shot drugs in the past because naloxone is not in subutex. So if you never used needles before and it is not documented I would ask.......I was on subutex when I went to my new doc and he kinda went off on me and told me "Your not on the suboxone program". Then said it is against federal law...blah..blah..but he is 90 yrs old. I would ask..........and tell the Dr why you want to.....good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:32 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Does that mean your doctor won't write you a script for suboxone, he only sells it to you out of his office? I was warned early on about doctors who practice that way, there's alot of them here in Cleveland. I just can't wrap my brain around that one. How is that not a conflict of interest's. Are these doctors profiting from selling suboxone out of thier office and if so is your well being a priority? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not attacking you, I just don't get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I signed up they said he prefers it..but when I met with him....he said it is hard to find a pharmacy that carries this....I said no it's not all 3 by where I live has it and do you take my insurance.......he replied NO and wrote me a script..He is a Pain Clinic but only deals in suboxone.......wierd huh?