It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Ok I have not posted much here but this forum has helped me more than you will ever know. Heres a quick recap of my story

I was taking pain pills for over a year whatever I could get my hands on. Started with vics then Percs and fianlly oxy before I gave into treatment of subs.Before that I had 6 years sober from H .....

I have been on Suboxone since Oct. I started on 8 mgs and have been gradullay decreasing my dose of sub from 8 to 6,4,2 and now I'm at 1 mg and I feel stuck!!! My doc wants me to stay on but my insur is chaging and I can't pay him 100 bucks a month to see him.

Whats the easiest way I can do this? I have over 100 films left. If I'm at 1mg how often should I cut my dose down? I'm starting to feel sick before taking my little strip each morn now which has not happend before. I just really can't afford to be sick. Has any of you stopped at 1mg? How long did it take? Any help is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So you've only been on Sub since October? That's not a very long time at all. I understand money is a consideration, but may I ask, what were you spending on your addiction? Not just financially, but how much energy did you put into getting a fix? Why not invest the same into building a solid remission/recovery. Studies show that short term sub use has a VERY high rate of relapse.

Ok now that that's out of the way...If you're determined to go off suboxone, I would advise you to continue tapering down past 1 mg. In fact, go all the way down into the micrograms. You've got plenty of films and you can cut them to the size you need. At this low dose, you might need to take it twice a day, as it just doesn't last as long when it's that far below the ceiling. The people that have had the most success with a pain-free taper are the ones who tapered very low and very slowly, too.

I wish you the best!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you spend some time looking around at previous posts here, I'm sure you'll find all sorts of ideas and suggestions for tapering off. I'll try to give you a few bullet points.

First and foremost, stopping is only one piece to this. Staying stopped is the other, and not going back to full opiates is even larger on the scale. Getting through the withdrawals are only a piece of it. You have to make sure that you don't end up abusing again. Having a pretty significant addiction history, you really have to be mindful of that.

As for tapering off. Here are some of what I see as the key points.

1. You may want/need to split your dose in half and take it twice a day. At higher doses, once a day is the best practice. However, once you get below 4 mg and for certain below 2 mg, you often need an AM dose and a PM dose. If you are feeling sick prior to dosing, try 0.5mg in the AM and 0.5mg in the PM.

2. Reduce by 10% at a time - never more than 25%. Again, below the 1-2 mg point, 10% seems to be the best practice.

3. Stabilize yourself at the new dose before dropping to the next. For many people this means 10-14 days in between drops, if not more. I would not try to drop any faster than every 10 days.

4. Get yourself down to no less than 0.5mg/day before stopping. It often makes more sense to get down to 0.1mg/day

5. When you get to the dose you want to stop from - lets say its 0.25 mg, first move to a single day dose. So go from 0.125 mg twice a day to a single 0.25mg dose once a day. Do that for 10-14 days. Then go to every two-day doses for 10-14 days. From there go to every three-day doses. From there, stop all doses.

That is the down and dirty for the "easiest" or at least less painful way to stop Suboxone. Yeah, it is going to take time - many months in fact. But if you are to be able to step off with the least amount of discomfort and the least level of PAWS, this is the way most successful patients have done it.

Once again, after you have taken your last every third day dose, it's really time to focus on relapse prevention. As I said at the top, stopping is one thing. Staying stopped can often be another.

The best of luck to you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are a million posts in stopping suboxone on how to do this. Did Melissa mention the patient assistance program? I just think money is the WORST reason to stop suboxone and probably would grant you the least amount of success. You would probably have greater success finding a different job with better insurance. Not to be dismal about it but really....you probably aren't anywhere near ready. I wish I had better advice but I am short on time tonight.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill